New 1/6 Star Trek????

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironman1188 said:
If you can find a way to shrink down the Playmates version you may have a good start on your hands.

Seen it and didn't think much of it actually - fingers crossed the new Star Trek line has a decent one cos the playmates is the only one I could find too :(

I saw a couple of the Playmates ones a few years back, shrunk down and repainted. They were better than I thought they could be. I can't find the link for where that was , though I was sure I had safed it.

FYI on shrinking playmates heads - the Acetone method doesn't work. I tried it on a 7of9 and she fell apart. I guess Playmates used much thinner plastic than Hasbro.

Darklord Dave said:
FYI on shrinking playmates heads - the Acetone method doesn't work. I tried it on a 7of9 and she fell apart. I guess Playmates used much thinner plastic than Hasbro.

DAMN!!!!!!!!

There is another head shrink method where the mold you use shrinks after you remove the original, but I could never get that one to work properly.

when I transplanted my Playmates Trek heads to better bodies, rather than shrink the heads, I just put them on bigger bodies -- Soldiers of the World figures, which run a bit bigger than Dragon, etc.

Jiminydog said:
when I transplanted my Playmates Trek heads to better bodies, rather than shrink the heads, I just put them on bigger bodies -- Soldiers of the World figures, which run a bit bigger than Dragon, etc.

Yeah, I had tried that, but didn't feel I wanted a Chekov or Sulu that was taller than Spock.

Long time Trek fan here. I have been lurking for quite awhile on this board, and have watched with interest the topics that come up regarding ST especially TOS. I have bought a lot of Sideshow figures and collect most of the movie/tv related license they pick up. Personally I kind of hope they don't get the 12 inch license, based on their track record with Trek. We only got two PF TOS figures (Kirk and Spock) and it looks like no hope for anymore bust in TOS series either. The line up of prototypes by Scifimetropolis pictured is probably more characters than we could expect to be offered by SS given that most of their 1/6th effort seems to be focused on Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. How many post have been made about Giles, Monica Reyes and the Lone Gunmen (to name a few)? If anyone gets a license for this I hope it is someone committed to doing at least the seven "basic" crew members (Kirk/Spock/McCoy/Scotty/Uhura/Checkov/Sulu). Scifimetropolis has established a committed track record with Lost in Space. The second wave of figures that has been solicited includes all the core members of the series (except Will, who if I understand correctly will be paired with the robot as a two pack?). I saw all the LIS figures (including the Will Robinson) and the Trek figures at Wonderfest. They were impressive in person. Haven't seen any photos on the net (including the ones on Scifimetropolis site) that really do them justice. I am also wondering about the comment that was made about a better Kirk head than the one posted by ironman1188. After doing some searching on the web I came up with a photo of the heads I think that were mentioned. These were posted by ddibiase on the OSW board. If there are heads that are closer to the Scifimetropolis than these I would be interested in finding out where to get them. I have been sticking strictly to mass produced figures up till now, but I'm warming to the idea of customs especially if the quality is as good as some of the pieces I have been seeing.

Seeing Ironman doesn't care to chime :monkey5 , I thought I'd grab some of his previously posted pics and add them to this thread.

Last edited:
I agree that SSC is a bit "distracted" with 2 huge licenses and it might be better for something like Trek if a different company got the 12" license. SFM is on the right track with LiS, but the second wave is postponed (indefinitely?) and I don't have high hopes of ever seeing Don, Judy, etc.

Given the first LiS figures, I think they do have the capability to do Trek justice if they have the capital to continue as a company.

I thought the hold up on wave 2 of LIS was a factory issue? Never got any feedback on the Kirk and Spock heads someone mentioned as being available. Scifimetropolis sold a few of their prototypes, but apparently have none left. If there is something as close that is available and reasonable priced I may go for that until someone (anyone!) gets the license.

Factory issues are being worked out and we should [hopefully] see wave 2 later this year. Trek is not licensed out to anyone yet, but, there's always hope... :rolleyes:

Back