My New Anduril Forged At Weta

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sky_Rider

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Well, I have my new “pride and joy” Weta Anduril #5 of 10 with the “Hero” scabbard and belt. I received it back in January, but was prevented from opening it until a few days ago because of a family emergency.

When I opened the box and removed the top packing, the wonderful smell of leather hit me in the face as I looked down upon the scabbard and belt. I immediately started smiling as picked them up, did a quick inspection of the leatherwork and hardware and set them aside. I then removed the next cover and was hit with the smell of wood. I don’t know if this was the intention, but the fact that the sword case was shaped like a coffin was not lost on me.

The top and bottom halves of the case were tightly held together with four wooden dowels. When I gently worked the case apart revealing the cotton-covered sword, I was hit with what smelled like wax. I assume this is what they chose to protect the sword with. It is forged from high carbon steel, not stainless or other modern metals, and therefore will rust if not cared for properly. The case was a precursor to the fit and finish of the belt and scabbard and the sword contained within. So far, this was quite the sensory experience.

The sword was tightly wedged into the bottom half of the case and it took some time, patience and a little fancy language to get it out. Since I didn’t have gloves, I used the cotton covers to keep my hands off of the blade, hilt, and pommel as I uncovered the sword. As I did, my smile just kept getting bigger. The word beautiful doesn’t begin to do the sword justice. The handle is leather wrapped, the blade is mirror finished, straight and true and almost glows. The Elvish runes aren’t etched but stamped into the blade and pommel. I have the United Cutlery Anduril with its acid etched runes and it just looks pathetic next to this Anduril. The balance point is right at the hilt and when held with hands on either side of the hilt, the sword feels almost neutral. It is quite easy to maneuver making it a formidable weapon. It is simply a phenomenal example of the Swordsmith’s craft.

The scabbard is fully lined carbon fiber and covered in leather. The hardware on it is hand forged, finished and fitted separately. The belt is made from two pieces of leather and precisely embossed, tooled and punched. The pictures do more justice to the tooling quality than I can describe. The fit and finish of all of the hardware especially the tight tolerances of the buckles and swivels would make a watchmaker proud. Only four of the ten sword owners opted to purchase the scabbard and belt.

All in all, I couldn’t be happier with how everything turned out. This is especially true considering that swords are a particular passion of mine and that I stumbled across this offering while checking the Weta site on a whim. I got one of the last three available. This helps make up for when I was stationed in Japan over 20 years ago and didn’t have the $20K for the Katana that was offered to me. I look forward to Wetas next offering, which should be announced very soon.

Since mere words couldn’t possibly do Anduril justice, I’ve included pictures of it as well as the belt and scabbard. Feel free to ask any questions, I’ll answer as best I can.

Belt_Buckle.JPG

Belt_Elvish_Runes.JPG

Scabbard.JPG

Sword_Case.JPG

Sword_Case_Placard.JPG

Sword_Horizontal.JPG

Sword_Horizontal_2.JPG

Sword_Hilt.JPG

Sword_Hilt_Close-Up.JPG

Sword_Pommel.JPG

Last edited:
absolutely beautiful!

This is a really remarkable sword, thanks for sharing your pictures with all of us!

Congrats indeed, it's a beautiful work of art. I'm curious but I don't think I really want to know how much it cost. :lol

Man, I so wish I had the money for this (tho Sting would be at the top of my list), but $6K+ for a single item is just beyond me.

It must be amazing in person and to be able to hold. I didn't know a scabbard and belt were included with the sword, or was that and added extra that you asked for.

:drool:drool:drool

Can't say anything other than what was already said. Congrats on an absolutely amazing piece. Keep her safe and no pretending that your going orc hunting.

That does look nice.. I'm not too sure on $6000 nice. but never the less a 1 in 10.. :rock

Are you planning on getting future releases?

EDIT....

If you will, where is the balance point between the blade and the handle? :)

Last edited:
Man, I so wish I had the money for this (tho Sting would be at the top of my list), but $6K+ for a single item is just beyond me.

It must be amazing in person and to be able to hold. I didn't know a scabbard and belt were included with the sword, or was that and added extra that you asked for.

Weta offered an economy and a "Hero" version of the belt. No one went economy and four opted for the "Hero." And boy howdy it was extra!

That does look nice.. I'm not too sure on $6000 nice. but never the less a 1 in 10.. :rock

Are you planning on getting future releases?

EDIT....

If you will, where is the balance point between the blade and the handle? :)

I hear ya about the $6K, but that very small edition size and the fact that Peter Lyons hammered each of these babies out himself was all I needed. Because I purchased the first sword, I have right of first refusal for each future sword in the series (the #5 is mine throughout).

I have already reserved the next edition and, gawd help me, the scabbard and belt. I can't say which sword until Weta makes an official announcement. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go rattle my contact's cage because I could have sworn I saw it and the next two listed last week. If he gives the word, I'll post it here.

The hilt is pretty close to neutral. One hand on each side makes for a sweet handling blade.

Congrats sky rider on going for this stunningly hand crafted and designed sword to rule all swords!!

I have also ordered the next sword but i cant afford the extra belts and scabbards which you are going for...i'm sooooo jealous right now:monkey2

Congrats sky rider on going for this stunningly hand crafted and designed sword to rule all swords!!

I have also ordered the next sword but i cant afford the extra belts and scabbards which you are going for...i'm sooooo jealous right now:monkey2

Hey Doc, congrats on being a member of "The Ten." What's your number and did you get the Anduril belt and scabbard? They basically said that they sold the four Anduril belt and scabbards at a loss and the new edition reflects the actual costs. They also said that they don't expect to sell four this time.

Absolutely incredible !!!
Great purchase, congrats :duff
x :peace

Thanks. Brant and I have talked about you (all complimentary :naughty) so this means a lot coming from you.

:peace be with you too...

I'd like to elaborate some on the blade's finish. It's not actually a mirror polish, but has a very light "grain" going from center to edge. This really does give the blade a "glow" when held at certain angles. Grinding makes or breaks the quality of a sword and this one is exquisite. Lets put it this way, Japanese Master Katana swordsmiths don't grind their own blades. So, If Peter did the grinding too, which I'm going to ask, he is truly the complete Swordsmith. I'm truly looking forward to my next sword.

Oh yes, I forgot to bring up the hanger. It is as basic as you can possibly get for a hanger. Peter apparently felt and rightly so IMO that the sword speaks for itself and didn't need any special presentation.

Last edited:
So, If Peter did the grinding too, which I'm going to ask, he is truly the complete Swordsmith. I'm truly looking forward to my next sword.

Doesn't the video of him making one, show just that. I got the impression that Peter did it all when it came to making 'hero' swords, since 1. they didn't have anyone else that could do it and 2. Peter wouldn't let anyone else do it anyway :lol

Awesome piece Sky Rider just a beautiful looking sword.

So how you going to display it,behind glass,on a wall or under your pillow for any unfortunate that comes a creeping.:D

Back