MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm still pulling a McDonalds on this one . . . I'm loving it (the Big Mac)
09_-_Bolt.gif

I'm currently watching the live Q&A that was posted earlier:

They're obviously hyping the figure up for marketing purposes, but at the same time there's a sense that they really are proud of what they've achieved, especially with the sculpt.

They said it's the first time they've attempted a realistic head since their Alfred Hitchcock long ago. Hence they're not including the awful Half Life Gordon Freeman in their definition of 'realistic', which gives hope that production paint for MacReady won't end up that bad.

I haven't noticed much backlash about the jacket in the comments. It's probably the one thing they've struggled with in this new attempt at realism in 1/6, so they eliminated the hoodie to mitigate the bulkiness.

Looks like they designed it to only work one way: with the collar popped up. The material is too stiff to fold it down.

Mondo Macready__PP-040 (1).jpg

macready.jpg
Mondo Macready__PP-003 (2).jpg

That comparison also shows the zip being the wrong colour, and the flap that covers it is missing.

Last edited:
I was this 🤏 close to getting yesterday, much like some of you a 1/6 MacReady has been an all time wanted grail for me and right now I'm debating myself on whether I should get this or not really hard.

Firstly credit where credit is due, the final prototype sculpts are great, much better than Neca's or any other custom attempt out there, I 100% see Kurt as Mac in both of them. The original sculpts were not good at all and it shows they did their best to nail the most important part of the figure. The real concern here is what will the final production paint look like, I would be pleased if it's similar to the proto but a downgrade is guaranteed.
View attachment 672255
The original sculpts:
View attachment 672256
View attachment 672257

Secondly, the things, yes they are a timed exclusive which sucks but it's really nice of them add them, the Norris head thing is probably the most iconic but the dog one is a close second and having those at least adds more display options.
View attachment 672264

I also noticed they improved some small things like the boots and such compared to their initial prototype which is great. Now here comes my concerns, first of all paying upfront I just don't like it if anything happens between now and July 2024 or if the final product turns out horrible a lot of us will end up getting burned and that just doesn't sit right with me.

As far as the figure the jacket surely jumps out to most of us. The inital prototype had a much better jacket imo and it looked liked it used waxed cotton instead of pleather which would not crack and peel after a few years. The absence of the blue hoodie also makes no sense and I do not accept Mondo's reasoning for it's removal since Mac has the hoodie on for the majority of the movie and it also adds a nice splash of color on the figure.
View attachment 672267

They don't even have to make a complete hoodie for the figure just the actual hood part as seen in this GeeWhiz version which won't make the figure more puffy.
View attachment 672270

Fortunately the figure is able to be put in other looks from the movie so when the jacket starts falling apart you aren't stuck with it, for example you can put Mac in a shotgun firing pose like he was seen in the dog scene, his first encounter with the thing.
View attachment 672271
View attachment 672272
View attachment 672273

Sadly he doesn't have a flashlight which brings me to my final point, lack of accessories. The hat and goggles seem to be the most important out of the missing parts imo, they just complete his look and if they decided to not include them because they couldn't figure out a way to have them as removeable items then I would've traded the frosty sculpt for one with permanent hat and goggles.
View attachment 672274

As far as other possible accessories, a bottle of J&B, dynamites and a Palmer blood tray with the blood flying out would've been obvious picks, perhaps the dynamite plunger, funnily enough these are all things the amazing (and expensive) KJun Art custom had.
View attachment 672279
View attachment 672280

And though this was never seen in the movie it would've been a cool inclusion just to kind of replicate the iconic poster.
View attachment 672278
View attachment 672284

Anyway I am still going back and forth on him, I know I will likely regret passing on him but when it's barely cheaper than the new John Wick from Hot Toys you really have to wonder if the final product will be worth it but then again if it's good then I will have passed one on of my most wanted figures ever. :gah:
Original flyer/ credit sheet dated 10 May 1982, all the detail of the full size poster and some, film credits overleaf. Great piece of Ephemera and size for MacReady backdrop. Should I part with It I may weaken and get the figure for the sculpt and flame thrower, passing on the rest.

Attachments

• 20230718_124213.jpg
    20230718_124213.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I was this 🤏 close to getting yesterday, much like some of you a 1/6 MacReady has been an all time wanted grail for me and right now I'm debating myself on whether I should get this or not really hard.

Firstly credit where credit is due, the final prototype sculpts are great, much better than Neca's or any other custom attempt out there, I 100% see Kurt as Mac in both of them. The original sculpts were not good at all and it shows they did their best to nail the most important part of the figure. The real concern here is what will the final production paint look like, I would be pleased if it's similar to the proto but a downgrade is guaranteed.
View attachment 672255
The original sculpts:
View attachment 672256
View attachment 672257

Secondly, the things, yes they are a timed exclusive which sucks but it's really nice of them add them, the Norris head thing is probably the most iconic but the dog one is a close second and having those at least adds more display options.
View attachment 672264

I also noticed they improved some small things like the boots and such compared to their initial prototype which is great. Now here comes my concerns, first of all paying upfront I just don't like it if anything happens between now and July 2024 or if the final product turns out horrible a lot of us will end up getting burned and that just doesn't sit right with me.

As far as the figure the jacket surely jumps out to most of us. The inital prototype had a much better jacket imo and it looked liked it used waxed cotton instead of pleather which would not crack and peel after a few years. The absence of the blue hoodie also makes no sense and I do not accept Mondo's reasoning for it's removal since Mac has the hoodie on for the majority of the movie and it also adds a nice splash of color on the figure.
View attachment 672267

They don't even have to make a complete hoodie for the figure just the actual hood part as seen in this GeeWhiz version which won't make the figure more puffy.
View attachment 672270

Fortunately the figure is able to be put in other looks from the movie so when the jacket starts falling apart you aren't stuck with it, for example you can put Mac in a shotgun firing pose like he was seen in the dog scene, his first encounter with the thing.
View attachment 672271
View attachment 672272
View attachment 672273

Sadly he doesn't have a flashlight which brings me to my final point, lack of accessories. The hat and goggles seem to be the most important out of the missing parts imo, they just complete his look and if they decided to not include them because they couldn't figure out a way to have them as removeable items then I would've traded the frosty sculpt for one with permanent hat and goggles.
View attachment 672274

As far as other possible accessories, a bottle of J&B, dynamites and a Palmer blood tray with the blood flying out would've been obvious picks, perhaps the dynamite plunger, funnily enough these are all things the amazing (and expensive) KJun Art custom had.
View attachment 672279
View attachment 672280

And though this was never seen in the movie it would've been a cool inclusion just to kind of replicate the iconic poster.
View attachment 672278
View attachment 672284

Anyway I am still going back and forth on him, I know I will likely regret passing on him but when it's barely cheaper than the new John Wick from Hot Toys you really have to wonder if the final product will be worth it but then again if it's good then I will have passed one on of my most wanted figures ever. :gah:
That's very fair and sums up the debate. I will buy because I want no regrets. It's a high price to pay and I see the point of the hood.

But no company will make this in the near future and this is better than any customs I have seen which are typically more expensive.

Unless we're planning to undress him, put him in various runaway model poses, or do anything with him other than place him on display (or heck even leave MIB), I don't see the lack of a barely visible blue hoodie as a deal breaker. Just sayin'. Is this thing expensive?: sho' nuff. Are they cutting corners? Not likely. There's a certain point where aesthetics vs. accuracy comes into play. If they added that blue hoodie under that big ole honkin' jacket and clothes he already has on....He would look like this guy.... 😉 :toilet_cl :1-1:
jhgcjhgfcjhgfcjhgfcjhgfcmhjgcjhgcjhgc.jpg

Unless we're planning to undress him, put him in various runaway model poses, or do anything with him other than place him on display (or heck even leave MIB), I don't see the lack of a barely visible blue hoodie as a deal breaker. Just sayin'. Is this thing expensive?: sho' nuff. Are they cutting corners? Not likely. There's a certain point where aesthetics vs. accuracy comes into play. If they added that blue hoodie under that big ole honkin' jacket and clothes he already has on....He would look like this guy.... 😉 :toilet_cl :1-1:
View attachment 672368

Martin didn't miss the blue hoodie with his 1/9 version. and it looked just fine

1698940331945.png

View attachment 672368
They wouldn't have to make the whole hoodie, just the actual hood bit as seen here.
1698945419606.png

Less accessories/clothing = less production cost & time seems more plausible than concerns about aesthetics.

Only reason I can think they removed the hood would be staining.

I doubt they could get the hoodie to work with their jacket since the collar doesn't fold down. The hood would be bunched up the back of his head.

Plus, as Dr. Anton Phibes noted, a hoodie under that jacket is going to make him huge.

Maybe by the time they get around to a variant figure they'll have found a better tailor and thinner material (preferably leather), and then they'll be able to put the hoodie under it.

Also while I understand some people wanting to wait for a third party offering in hopes of better tailoring I really doubt SooSoo could match the likeness that Mondo has put out, they are usually very hit or miss with sculpts and I don't think they would want to make this character at all. Mars Toys I could see being interested in a Mac but given their current backlog I doubt we'd see anything in the next two years.
This will definitely be the only option available on the market for a while and I don't think I will be able to pass on it before the timed edition runs out, I just hope the final production sculpt is good, and might have to look into getting a snow themed stand and a blue hoodie.

Back