MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh so it's a full release window? I was picturing a limited edition queuing **** show as is tradition now. That'd be great news if it's going to be available for a bit.

EDIT: Oh wow you're right. Found their blog post. Also interesting is it says payment plan will be available? So maybe not full pay upfront?View attachment 671754

Yeah there's no problem at all with the preorder, they'll take as many exclusive orders as they can get. They use Shop Pay for payment plans. If you go to their site right now they have their exclusive X-Men Sabretooth figure for preorder so you can check out what it'll look like for you.

Shop Pay splits it up into 4 payments every 2 weeks, so it'll pay off in 2 months with no interest. Or if you want they have an option to pay it off over 12 months WITH interest. The Sabretooth is $225 and with the interest it goes to $244 as an example.

Yeah there's no problem at all with the preorder, they'll take as many exclusive orders as they can get. They use Shop Pay for payment plans. If you go to their site right now they have their exclusive X-Men Sabretooth figure for preorder so you can check out what it'll look like for you.

Shop Pay splits it up into 4 payments every 2 weeks, so it'll pay off in 2 months with no interest. Or if you want they have an option to pay it off over 12 months WITH interest. The Sabretooth is $225 and with the interest it goes to $244 as an example.
Thanks for the info 👍 shop pay appears to be run by affirm so I assume it's a similar process. Never used it before, but maybe I'll try it out.

I know people don't want to hear critiques of something they are going to buy when there is a lack of options, I just wished they would've put more effort into an important character.

602197278.jpg

O1CN01w4nO8c1tE3Bv4uP3B_!!673445869.jpg

PoliceShotgun-Weapons-Front.jpg

I guess you have to weigh against the potential to custom build one.

The parts exist. McReady isn't a particularly complex figure ( aside from his headsculpt) to put together. It's just some of the parts needed are pretty old. If you start with an old DML Patton, you are a decent bit of the way there. The leather jacket, pistol holster, etc, etc. The jacket is not perfect, you need to remove some stuff, and try to dye the "fur" section. The DML PTU revolver would work. As would the TUS Police Ithaca 37 shotgun. Not tough to find a WW2 flamethrower in 1/6th.

If you can get a head, it looks feasible to build one. But that's time and effort and some of this stuff is pretty old and thus harder to find. Just some thoughts.

So... if I don't pre-order the exclusive in the next 2 weeks, can I still order it months down the line? Can I wait till it releases to order it?

Damn, I would have gladly traded those deluxe accessories for the sunglasses and iconic hat, even if just to hang behind his back.

Still though, the sculpts are great and the outfit is decent enough, and should work better once weathered and dirtied up a bit. So this will be a definite buy for me.

So... if I don't pre-order the exclusive in the next 2 weeks, can I still order it months down the line? Can I wait till it releases to order it?
My understanding is no. The regular figure will probably be available through Sideshow and BBTS, ect. but the Exclusive version is a timed release that ends on November 10th.

I am both super excited and disappointed at the same time. What do you call this feeling? Dam it, I like the sculpts and the accessories but they didn't put any effort into the stand or the thought of adding more exclusive edition accessories. It would have been nice to have the hoodie, Hat, J&B Scotch Bottle, Clear Safety Goggles, Glacier Sunglasses, Dynamite, Molotovs, etc.

At this point, I think I will only get it for adding missing parts to my custom Macready.

1200px-Thing10.jpg

HT_PMC_07_VER.jpg

321PMC302x439_2.jpg

1_3fa2ee8d12653e126410a909d2965f79.jpg

So I'm going to post a few things, if there are people who work for or with Mondo, no offense intended. Just sharing some thoughts and rolling through some options here.

Many people, in the old days, believed the Hot Toys 07 PMC figure was slightly based on McReady. I can kind of see it. Also it was thought he was sort of homage to GI Joe RAH Outback. If someone wanted to make a faster road to a custom McReady, then lopping off the top of this guys head and trying to transplant Kurt's surfer hair style instead, maybe that would work.

The last photo is of BBI Bones Wilson. That's meant to truly be a Kurt Russell sculpt ( Though more to honor his Stargate look) That's another quasi option as a base if people want it. ( But that would be a lot of work, to patch over that much beard and hair onto that guy, but maybe some super talented people here could make it a cakewalk)

1200px-Thing13.jpg

s-l1200.jpg

image_0a0967b0-8f25-4421-a05f-3ecda0dba1eb_1024x1024.jpg

So for the rifle of the Norwegian sniper in the beginning, in the film, it looks kind of like a HK93. Based mostly on it's magazine.

Dragon Models SAS Chris came with a HK G3SG1. (Also came with DML SDU Lam) The bipod on that rifle is removable. Not glued at all. There's an elevated cheekrest, but it can be left alone, or cut down/sanded down and hit with some touch up paint. Now, here's where it gets odd. The most accessible HK93 magazines would be in old early 90's GI Joe Hall Of Fame. They sort of hybrid Frankenstein'ed a HK MP5SD front section with a HK93 receiver, mag, etc, etc. Pull that mag out, repaint it, maybe have to fiddle with it, then see if it fits into the DML rifle. Since the DML rifle is built for a 7.62 magazine, it might fit without too much modification.

The military collectors here can see where I'm going with all this. So IMHO, any 1/6th MacReady should come with every single last damn gun in that film, whether he held it or not. I mean, why not right? But if it was up to me, every figure released would come with 10 guns. So there's that.

900px-Thing3.jpg

1200px-THING04.jpg

C_1.jpg

Captain Quaker Oats had a 38 revolver. That can't be too hard to find in today's hobby timeline. Different brands have made incendiary grenades ( from the case in the helicopter), that one above is IRRC, from ACE. But just about any post 3rd gen Vietnam release might have them.

The weapons are doable. Even if some people get the Mondo version, maybe some of the alternative weapons I've shown might be somewhat preferable. Just some thoughts.

Oh so it's a full release window? I was picturing a limited edition queuing **** show as is tradition now. That'd be great news if it's going to be available for a bit.

EDIT: Oh wow you're right. Found their blog post. Also interesting is it says payment plan will be available? So maybe not full pay upfront?View attachment 671754

Free shipping - bonus! :yess:

Preorder Starts on the 31st around 12 ET and Ends on the 10 of November for the timed.

The Timed includes the dog and spider thing.

I hope after this succeeds perhaps we get a Jack Burton and a Lo Pan. But listening to Mondo, they seem to be very open to ideas and trying different things.

Mondo Creative Director Hector and Senior Art Director Peter will be live streaming on SixScaleMafia's You Tube channel at 4pm PST to discuss the MAcready figure and other Mondo related 1/6 products.

Thanks for the link - 40mins in so far - a bit slow, but interesting regardless. I'll slot in the rest when I have time.

My understanding is no. The regular figure will probably be available through Sideshow and BBTS, ect. but the Exclusive version is a timed release that ends on November 10th.
According to Hector(Mondo Creative Director) in the Q&A, linked above; It doesn't sound too good when it comes to even the regular figure being available on BBTS(or any other retailer). He says it hasn't been discussed yet. I had sent him that question myself, around the 1 hour 20 minute mark you can hear what he has to say.

Hearing Mondos thinking though is both good and bad. Hoping for re-releases is a struggle. They will simply release variants of original that I think no one really wants.

For example, a question was bought up about Mr./ Freeze re-release and they said, well we are releasing a Black and White one.

Honestly, who wants the Black and White version of BTAS Mr. Freeze? I am very in on Mondo but that answer was very perplexing. Just re-release the version we all want!

There was a question about the BTAS Batmobile and hummmm....it does seem like something they have discussed internally.

Back