Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cmon, really? i hardly doubt youll send this back for a friggin batmobile. itd be a poor choice. theres so much batman. im tired of him. rex is the 1st one off serious piece of artwork. this thing can suck and ill still love it......................just like that chincey medicom raiden, even tho this thing costs 3 time more. i have this feeling everyones *****ing for nothing. its going to be awesome. rex was probably green from the get but the blue saturation in the game didnt show it amongst many things they couldnt even put in a ps1 game. i actually like the green camo on it. i think i would have preferred the side to side motion than up and down. they could have fixed his head higher. on a side note, does anyone know if meryl is going to go out as planned? anime island says august 31st. i certainly hope so....................

I'm actually being serious. Besides collecting MGS, I also have a somewhat formidable Batman collection :lol. Like I said, I'll wait until I get REX in hand before making a decision to keep or return it. But, one thing's for certain, is that I'm not going to commit to something just because it has the "MGS" label attached to it- such as The Boss figure from Hot Toys, which is an extremely poor rendition of her character.

I sincerely hope that REX is a keeper. The lack of articulation in its head, however, is a major disappointment, for a mech that's supposed to be capable of a plethora of dynamic poses. Don't even get me started on the color of the figure - it's just completely wrong. I used to think it was just the lighting, but we've already seen multiple pictures of the same "bright green" ninja turtle color :slap.

That came from the engineer so it's definitely true. Ashley Wood hasn't made a statement on REX at all since it was up for pre order 6 months ago. They make great stuff, but honestly get your **** together dude. This information would of be welcomed before people dropped half a grand on it.

3A is less professional than a one man team custom 1/6 figure sculptor who makes them in his spare time. Seriously often times Ashley expects us to buy the products on Bambaland and pay full price upfront based solely either on his cryptic art, of which almost always looks nothing like the finished product, or a photoshopped image that isn't actually of what you're getting. Sometimes the product turns out drastically different from the image and they get commonly delayed into oblivion.

So far thanks in part to staying mostly true to the end and also thanks to the huge hipster following (I have never seen a community so oblivious to flaws before; finding actual critiques of 3A figures is almost impossible) everything has been fine so far, but if they start slipping up things could get nasty. I still want to believe Rex will turn out worth the price, but that's starting to sound a little less believable. Once again though the Real Steel stuff keeps me believing since those are 10/10 amazing jobs.

3A is less professional than a one man team custom 1/6 figure sculptor who makes them in his spare time. Seriously often times Ashley expects us to buy the products on Bambaland and pay full price upfront based solely either on his cryptic art, of which almost always looks nothing like the finished product, or a photoshopped image that isn't actually of what you're getting. Sometimes the product turns out drastically different from the image and they get commonly delayed into oblivion.

So far thanks in part to staying mostly true to the end and also thanks to the huge hipster following (I have never seen a community so oblivious to flaws before; finding actual critiques of 3A figures is almost impossible) everything has been fine so far, but if they start slipping up things could get nasty. I still want to believe Rex will turn out worth the price, but that's starting to sound a little less believable. Once again though the Real Steel stuff keeps me believing since those are 10/10 amazing jobs.

Hipster community indeed, I cannot think of a better name for them.

I brought up valid arguments on the color and the head and you just get shut down because they are such 3A fanboys that they see no defects and if you say anything that diminishes 3A they attack you :cuckoo:

I saw that conversation too. The ThreeA forum seems more like a fan club for Ashley Wood rather than a place for serious discussion and debate. A far cry from SSF that's for sure.

I saw that conversation too. The ThreeA forum seems more like a fan club for Ashley Wood rather than a place for serious discussion and debate. A far cry from SSF that's for sure.

Their bread and butter defense is "If you don't like it contact customer service" but don't acknowledge Ash has committed a blunder. :monkey4

Indeed. And that's what I find so respectable about the community here. People actively bash and praise Sideshow products. When they hit a homerun, such as Joker PF, people go nuts showering the product with praise. When they mess up big time, like Ultron, Rogue, etc... then people will criticize the product and such. That's a good thing. Fans stay honest. It also helps the companies improve too. I doubt Sideshow would put so much effort into their sculpts and customer service if their fans were all blind followers.

And when I do see any form of complaint or critique on the ThreeA forum, it tends to be worded in a way such that it almost sounds as though the poster is the one at fault and not the company. Either that or it is so watered down and redirected that it can hardly be considered a critique at all. I just imagine Ashley Wood sitting on a throne of pure gold while his local fans are fanning him and feeding him grapes :lol He then turns toward his massive army of fans and proclaims his next great discovery: "I've got it! We take a Dropcloth...and use the arms of an Armstrong figure. We've got ourselves a new figure folks!" *hours of cheering everywhere*

Indeed. And that's what I find so respectable about the community here. People actively bash and praise Sideshow products. When they hit a homerun, such as Joker PF, people go nuts showering the product with praise. When they mess up big time, like Ultron, Rogue, etc... then people will criticize the product and such. That's a good thing. Fans stay honest. It also helps the companies improve too. I doubt Sideshow would put so much effort into their sculpts and customer service if their fans were all blind followers.

And when I do see any form of complaint or critique on the ThreeA forum, it tends to be worded in a way such that it almost sounds as though the poster is the one at fault and not the company. Either that or it is so watered down and redirected that it can hardly be considered a critique at all. I just imagine Ashley Wood sitting on a throne of pure gold while his local fans are fanning him and feeding him grapes :lol He then turns toward his massive army of fans and proclaims his next great discovery: "I've got it! We take a Dropcloth...and use the arms of an Armstrong figure. We've got ourselves a new figure folks!" *hours of cheering everywhere*

I think the paint jobs done by 3A might be the best out there, but as for their figures... I'm not really a fan of that abstract look of figures. If they did other lines than their own I would pick them up. But I did that with REX and look what happened... he was more concerned in making REX look like a light up sneaker :gah:

well, this is my very first 3a product so i dont really know what to expect at all. frankly, im scared. i would NEVER drop 5 hundo on any figure and rex wasnt even a flinch. worst case scenario ill be able to flip it for at least 8 down the road. problem is im a completist so itll never leave once i have it. guys, where you gonna get another rex? the koto one looks sick but its not massive. you know this will be a definite holy grail of MGS. i just thought of something.....doesnt it have gyrating hips? between its hip and waist movement i think you could get some nice side poses that way, along with turning the railgun and radome the opposite way and itll look like hes turning his head. the paint for me would be the bad thing i think. i mean if its too bright.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but if you think you'll be able to flip him for eight hundred I think you might have to wake up :( I wouldn't be surprised if he drops in price shortly after launch in the event people do not like him. You can still easily acquire him from Sideshow.

I'm sorry, but if you think you'll be able to flip him for eight hundred I think you might have to wake up :( I wouldn't be surprised if he drops in price shortly after launch in the event people do not like him. You can still easily acquire him from Sideshow.

well i see up in pricing with other crap. the point us null tho he lives here now.

The price will only go up upon release. You will never get another chance to obtain a REX of this caliber. Sure the head thing is a let down,but there is so much good still in that figure. And the paint will be perfect. :1-1:

You know it does suck that the head only moves up and down. That was definately something they should of mentioned a LONG time ago. Thhat said Im still not gonna let that sway my position on keeping him. One of the things about REX is that his legs provide most of his dynamicness(new word),the head is minimal. I mean come on, you guys mean to tell me you cant pick from one of these awesome poses below? SSF I am dissapoint. Im supporting this and Ray all day,these types of things dont come around to often at all.

rexy.jpg

I came all the way over here, bumped this entire thread just to say Coke Zero taste like it was brewed in the tin mans a$$

You know it does suck that the head only moves up and down. That was definately something they should of mentioned a LONG time ago. Thhat said Im still not gonna let that sway my position on keeping him. One of the things about REX is that his legs provide most of his dynamicness(new word),the head is minimal. I mean come on, you guys mean to tell me you cant pick from one of these awesome poses below? SSF I am dissapoint. Im supporting this and Ray all day,these types of things dont come around to often at all.

No one ever said that REX wasn't capable of dynamic poses. The legs do provide a lot of different possibilities - we all know that, we've all seen the pics. However, it's the fact that ThreeA decided to sacrifice the motion of REX's head, for an electronic light-up gimmick, that has a lot of us annoyed... and a bit perplexed. All of this, in addition to the exposed screw-holes and inaccurate bright-green camouflage.

If this were a Hot Toys figure, everyone would be crying for blood :lol. Let's just hope that there aren't any more surprises.

LOL it does! :rotfl :goodpost:

I tried it once, never want to try it again.

I prefer it, but then again, I don't really drink soda and when I do I only drink diet sodas, especially when I mix with rum and whiskey :lol

At least my teeth don't feel like they're rotting away as I drink like regular Coke does.

C0ke sucks anyway for me, from taste to political issues. I enyoy Afri Cola.

Anyway, I couldnt wrap my head arround the so called issue. Do not get what and why the joint for the head can only go one way because of some wires.

I say it is an sorry a$$ excuse for saving bucks in production line or plain stupidity.

quite honestly I didn't even know that the head of REX could/suppose to move sideways :panic:

Annnyyyways what are the chance of HotToys making MGS4 figures, particularly a cyborg Raiden figure? I'm not fan of the new raiden design for MGRising: REvengeance (ugh) and I love the more modest yet sophisticated look of MGS4 Raiden but there doesn't seem to be any decent version in 1/6 scale. apologies in advance if this has been asked to death before

Last edited:
quite honestly I didn't even know that the head of REX could/suppose to move sideways :panic:

Annnyyyways what are the chance of HotToys making MGS4 figures, particularly a cyborg Raiden figure? I'm not fan of the new raiden design for MGRising: REvengeance (ugh) and I stay clear of PlayArts (ugh). I love the more modest yet sophisticated look of MGS4 Raiden but there doesn't seem to be any decent version in 1/6 scale. apologies in advance if this has been asked to death before

Well they polled what people wanted next in the MGS line and MGS4 Raiden won the vote, but no guarantee that they will do it. I would much prefer a MGS2 Snake or a Gray Fox.

Gray Fox > any incarnation of Raiden

Well they polled what people wanted next in the MGS line and MGS4 Raiden won the vote, but no guarantee that they will do it. I would much prefer a MGS2 Snake or a Gray Fox.

Gray Fox > any incarnation of Raiden

gray fox would be nice... with battle damged parts like the new predator 2 figure.

gray fox battle damaged would be epic!

Back