Medicom's R2 and 3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you just going by eye though, or have you actually compared it?

Because presumably if the dome isn't wide enough, then the body can't be wide enough either, right? And if it isn't tall enough, then it must be the wrong shape too, because it would need to slope up less steeply or whatever.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering where the scale issues are.

I think the problem is that the width is just barely off at the bottom ring diameter, but because of that the scale gets worse the further up the dome you go. That's what relative scale is. Unless you match the circumference at the meeting points things become deformed from there. So that hair or two at the bottom of the dome resulted in the entire dome itself being under scale to the rest of the body. Does that make sense?

You know what's funny... as I mentioned earlier...
98% of the Star Wars collectibles have tons of inaccuracies...
And you know what?...

skz77l.gif

I think the problem is that the width is just barely off at the bottom ring diameter, but because of that the scale gets worse the further up the dome you go. That's what relative scale is. Unless you match the circumference at the meeting points things become deformed from there. So that hair or two at the bottom of the dome resulted in the entire dome itself being under scale to the rest of the body. Does that make sense?

Gotcha.

It's a weird one in that depending on the angle of the comparison pic chosen the dome can look a different shape, or pretty much the same. I think I'd like to see shots of the toy and the prop taken from exactly the same angle.

What I do know is that in isolation it just looks fantastic.

You know what's funny... as I mentioned earlier...
98% of the Star Wars collectibles have tons of inaccuracies...
And you know what?...

skz77l.gif

"Who gives a _____"? I imagine the people expected to pay close to $200 each for their figures might care that they be somewhat accurate and in scale with the other figures they've invested large amounts of money in.

If people don't care, then they can pick up a $15 Hasbro R2, which is slightly more in scale than the Medicom version, and give the remaining $100+ to charity. :)

The point is that if these companies want to charge TOP DOLLAR (as they are all doing now), then they need to make things museum-quality-accurate.

Sean

That figure's shoelaces are painted the wrong color.

Likeness is WAY off.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

"Who gives a _____"? I imagine the people expected to pay close to $200 each for their figures might care that they be somewhat accurate and in scale with the other figures they've invested large amounts of money in.

If people don't care, then they can pick up a $15 Hasbro R2, which is slightly more in scale than the Medicom version, and give the remaining $100+ to charity. :)

The point is that if these companies want to charge TOP DOLLAR (as they are all doing now), then they need to make things museum-quality-accurate.

Sean

Yeah I can understand that...
I mentioned in my comments that it's definitely not worth the price tag...
but since I paid less than half of that for mine, I think it's worth it...
In any case!!
I'm out until 3PO arrives!!
:peace

Pics!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't care for R2 but 3po looks awesome! By the way i am actually going to buy 3po, instead of swearing off a company forever and then constantly going back into their threads to bring up issues that i have no impact on me, ya know cause i don't buy their products, or care about the company at all, but i sure love their threads.:lol

(this post implies nobody in particular :))

Did you get 3PO without box as well?

Last edited:
Pics!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't care for R2 but 3po looks awesome! By the way i am actually going to buy 3po, instead of swearing off a company forever and then constantly going back into their threads to bring up issues that i have no impact on me, ya know cause i don't buy their products, or care about the company at all, but i sure love their threads.:lol

I don't think that's what people are doing (well, maybe some like to bash for the sake of bashing- never understood that, but I'd say that's a minority).

Again, most critique is meant to call for realistic pricing on these items, and if they are ultra high priced (as everything is now) then accuracy and similar scale between brands is desired (if they are 1:6 items). That goes for ALL companies. I think they all need a kick in the ass from the consumers.

Sean

(this post implies nobody in particular :))

Did you get 3PO without box as well?

:lol
I agree!!
And yes, I got it without a box, good deal too...
it's a great figure as well, but like R2 not for the price tag.

I don't think that's what people are doing (well, maybe some like to bash for the sake of bashing- never understood that, but I'd say that's a minority).

Again, most critique is meant to call for realistic pricing on these items, and if they are ultra high priced (as everything is now) then accuracy and similar scale between brands is desired (if they are 1:6 items). That goes for ALL companies. I think they all need a kick in the ass from the consumers.

Sean

Well, the scale "issue" is beating a dead horse at this point honestly...
so why keep bringing it up?... :dunno
As for accuracy Medi did a damn fine job IMO... could it be better, of course...
but these are kick-ass figures in their own right regardless of what SS might do in the future.

So to summarize...
-Overpriced?
Yes

-Awesome renditions of the characters?
You bet

- Accurate?
Plenty, nearly perfect IMO

- Better than Hasbro?
These are light-years ahead design and quality-wise IMO

Pics coming soon!
:clap:clap:clap

The arguing is beating a dead horse. Discussion isn't. I don't think many people seriously said these figures outright suck (they don't, they have flaws, but they aren't garbage. Just way overpriced).

I think it's still a relevant issue when companies are making giant scale Darth Vaders and underscale droids. Until then, the scale/price talk should continue (and be voiced to Sideshow and Medicom, etc) so that maybe they may consider corrections in future figures and understand people's wants.

I mean, it would be sort of like them issuing variations of Jar Jar Binks every month. Few would want that. It's the same with underscale or inaccurate/overpriced items. No one wants that either. So let 'em know!

Sean

Back