Action Figure Medicom - MAFEX Star Wars line coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 214061 You can see there is a noticeable gap between the torso and lower body. This is, in my opinion, a major reason I would not buy a second.
View attachment 214062 Closer look.
View attachment 214063 Tamashii Movie Realization Stormtrooper, Hasbro Black Series Stormtrooper, MAFEX Stormtrooper, Revoltech Stormtrooper, SH Figuarts Stormtrooper
View attachment 214064 Height comparison.

All in all, the SHF is the best of the lot

Agreed. Figurarts FTW.

I received two of the MAFEX (Medicom) 1/12 scale Stormtroopers yesterday via HLJ. My thoughts - A good figure. Could be better in terms of finish and articulated stability but all in all a good representation of the trooper. My biggest gripes (and it's not what you think).....The neck post is too short (or the shoulders are too high?)...no matter what the neck can't be seen which is a shame because it sports an awesome neck collar. The blaster is so simplified and cheap. The gripe about the waist gap isn't that big a deal for me...they display very well and the gap is easily hidden. The fact that the waist can separate easily is also not much of a concern as it takes a little bit of effort to make it happen (at least with the figures I purchased). I agree with a reviewer on YouTube - the figure looks like a guy in a costume which may have an appeal to some but not to others. The helmet sculpt is based (in my opinion) off the promotional images used during the late 90s release of the Special Edition trilogy. If you search the internet you can find the image..which is a shame because this would have been a much more superior figure if the helmets were based off the troopers in A New Hope. A good buy?...Yes - if you're a trooper nut like I am. An army builder?...to each their own. Two is enough for me.

12074745_1037944219562617_1368524681349868073_n.jpg 12088147_1037944306229275_5039313796639832222_n.jpg 12096409_1037944379562601_3944296878437943664_n.jpg 12094891_1037944409562598_7034072152656192142_o.jpg

Boba looks good! Just like their Vader, the helmet is a scaled down version of the 1/6th Boba.

I don't care for the Vader or trooper, but that Fett looks pretty good. Hopefully SHF will show a Fett soon so I can compare...

Ehhh he is TOO tall. At least from that angle.

Yeah, I'm not too sure how well the Fett will fit in with the Black Series or SHF figures, as judging from the pics of the trooper, the trooper is quite a bit taller than them, and Boba Looks even taller than the trooper.

Also, I saw some reviews of the MAFEX Vader, and although I still prefer the model kit, the unmasked head looks pretty good; so I went ahead and orederd one. I'll be interested to see how the MAFEX unmasked head compares to the SHF one that came with Luke...

I think the paint on Anakins head looks FAR better on the unmasked SHF Vader. But the Mafex has the breathing tubes and painted details in the respirator area SHF lacks. This combined with the ability to show the mask in all three stages puts the Mafex ahead IMO.

I think the paint on Anakins head looks FAR better on the unmasked SHF Vader. But the Mafex has the breathing tubes and painted details in the respirator area SHF lacks. This combined with the ability to show the mask in all three stages puts the Mafex ahead IMO.

Do you have the MAFEX Vader? If so, which unmasked head sculpt would you say is better in person? From the pics and looking at my SHF one, the SHF one looks a bit more detailed and accurate (the MAFEX one looks to have a little too much scarring on the back of the head), but I have seen some people say that the SHF one's head is a little too big. How do they compare size wise? Thanks! :)

Do you have the MAFEX Vader? If so, which unmasked head sculpt would you say is better in person? From the pics and looking at my SHF one, the SHF one looks a bit more detailed and accurate (the MAFEX one looks to have a little too much scarring on the back of the head), but I have seen some people say that the SHF one's head is a little too big. How do they compare size wise? Thanks! :)

I have both figures and the paint work on the SHF looks better (although its more like print work since it appears the fine details are more decal like), and ironically its almost the same size as the MAFEX version. Which makes it a TOUCH too big for the SHF body it was designed for. Overall I like both figures, but I will say the SHF figure reminds me more of a high end action figure. The MAFEX is closer to a 1/12 figure

I have both figures and the paint work on the SHF looks better (although its more like print work since it appears the fine details are more decal like), and ironically its almost the same size as the MAFEX version. Which makes it a TOUCH too big for the SHF body it was designed for. Overall I like both figures, but I will say the SHF figure reminds me more of a high end action figure. The MAFEX is closer to a 1/12 figure

Cool, thanks for the answer. I was actually asking for the unmasked head comparison because i was wondering which one would be best to adapt to the Bandai model kit. Looks like the SHF one is the best choice as I've seen it on the model kit and the size is perfect, and if the paint apps are better i'd rather use that one.

I got the MAFEX Stormtroopers.

Better than I thought.

Neutral:

- Decent helmet sculpt amalgamates ANH "hero" and ROTJ buckets.

- Finish is okay.

- Look like improved versions of Medicom's 1/6 stormies.

Good:

- Proportions hit "man-in-a-suit".

- Working holster.

- Realistic posing is possible.

Bad:

- Difficult to pose, joints can come apart moderately easily.

- Soft PVC instead of hard plastic.

- E-11 is a relatively poor sculpt. Over-simplified, off-model.

- Shoulder bells for armour attached to chest armour. May mod that.

- QC varies a bit (paint, joints) between the three samples I have. Not horrible, but you see it.

--

They're tall for their scale; don't think I'd display them with SHF.

They're also stylistically different. I like them enough to keep them, but they're kind of stand-alone pieces.

Quality, and durability goes to SHF. If forced to choose I'd keep SHF, but mainly because I'm presently all-in on their Star Wars line.

The SHF paint and finish is slicker, but not hugely so.

I head-swapped between them to see and it doesn't look right; mainly a proportion thing, I think.

Horrible phone pictures for you; I'm supposed to be working so nothing pretty; I'm getting back to earning a living now. :p

fbd9e54d05628b19fbe9605fd551fd54.jpg

dacfe919ea7a9079d62e01b3f62ca666.jpg

317145b0af0039e166319f6c9eac5608.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to clean up the lines later, but I am going to wait on everything to dry to smooth out the surface CAREFULLY. Not sure if I dig the color or not, but there it is. better than that gleaming silver they used on the armor I think.

View attachment 217466

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 276
Just got Mafex Vader and while I'm happy he's finally close enough in height, I didn't like how restricted the neck joint felt.

So what I did was that I cut/scraped down the excess plastic underneath his neck sculpt (I just used a clipper and scissors to do this though an X-Acto knife would be most preferable). Be careful not to cut off the actual neck parts of the helmet as well as the edges that are holding the ball joint intact (basically you're just thinning down the sculpt's surface).

3ArM40m.jpg

Definitely ended up improving the overall look and movement of the figure, and now he can look farther down than before.

Ugrq1MO.jpg

jgQysJ3.jpg

Some comparison shots of my modded Mafex Vader and the Figuarts Vader:

fhBFvEV.jpg

873LDvo.jpg

W43fp9K.jpg

BaI67RA.jpg

Overall I'll admit that I do prefer the Mafex Vader especially after doing that simple mod for the neck (really wasn't hard). That said, I'll concede that the Figuarts has the better-looking unmasked head.

Still, the Mafex Vader is probably my favorite 1/12 Vader by far. The extra height more than makes up for its flaws and the nit with the arms are hardly noticeable when you start playing around with him. The different helmet "modes" also really sets it apart from other 1/12 Vader's and I like how you can actually store his lightsaber on him. Most of all, and this could just be me, but I love the matte/glossy paint details on the helmet that accurately captures his look in ESB.

NOTE: If you find that the top of his helmet feels rather loose, try pushing down on it really hard! While it doesn't seem like it, there's actually room in there for you to push it further down which allows the helmet to sit more snugly than you might have thought.

Back