Medicom Dark Knight Batman - Photo Thread -

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Medicom Dark Knight Batman - Photo Thread

I did another repaint and head mod for someone else and snapped a couple of photos in natural light next to an unmodded figure to show color and shape differences...

_MG_2528.jpg

_MG_2536.jpg

_MG_2530.jpg
_MG_2529.jpg

The unmodded one is going to get a repaint, widened head, thickened neck, new cape, and HT belt. I'll take some pics when he is done.

This DK definately beats the Hot Toys one, once it has been modded like rismo's. Great work there rismo. The more I see of the modded one the more I want one.

Is it just me or is working with this cowl weird the way the natural light/shadows hits it thinking you've nailed it, then it looks off and looks right again? I always find if the light hits the sides of the cowl it looks skinny even when it appears to be the right width.

I had been tweaking the skin tone though. I hope some day it can be like rismo's

dscf6181.jpg
dscf6183.jpg

dscf6192.jpg
dscf6190.jpg

Thanks, Tyler! You should definitely get one!

Looking good, vodoun! I had the same thoughts about the width of my modded heads. Wondering if I should widen even more, then I looked at them next to an unmodded head and comparing with real shots of Bale I was like, oh nevermind :) Yours looks like good width!

I'd say thats about the right width on mine now I have lighting hitting the cowl to some degree that you normally see in the film on the main parts of the head.

I just need to get some lacquer to shine up the eyes.

The foam thats required to beef up the neck is unreal. There is so much space in the neck of the rubber sleeve I felt I kept pushing "where the heck is this going". Then it starts to firm up.

dscf6203.jpg

Thin foam evenly fed into the neck and the thick stuff packed into the head. The good thing about the thick stuff once packed enough in it actually forces it out. Not a great deal of force but it's enough to hold it in position.

Last edited:

You guys have awesome pics! I've finally finished repainting the face on my Bats....

Vodoun - great pics and excellent mods, any tips where i can get that foam for the neck and head? Thanks!

Real nice David!

Vodoun - great pics and excellent mods, any tips where i can get that foam for the neck and head? Thanks!

I'm not sure what it was from at the time. I had it stored in boxes for many years. I'm pretty sure it was from boxes that crystal glasses/glass ornaments were shipped in or certain two bottle wine sets.

Talented painter, you are :rock

Thanks guys! It's amazing how a little touch-up can improve this figure so much. I'm thinking of repainting the carbon-fibre areas too...and possibly the belt, which is probably going to be the toughest to do.

Thanks guys! It's amazing how a little touch-up can improve this figure so much. I'm thinking of repainting the carbon-fibre areas too...and possibly the belt, which is probably going to be the toughest to do.

I'm sure you'll do fine :lecture:rock2:rock

I JUST GOT IT!

THe new MMS Batman will be a medicom Batman with a paintjob.

No seriously, all the small paintjobs make this figure SO much more awesome.

I'm thinking of repainting the carbon-fibre areas too...and possibly the belt, which is probably going to be the toughest to do.

The best thing would actually be some form of water slide carbon decals softened with microsol so it shapes around the curves that gives that professional look.

They never painted that. The question is what's the right pattern.

https://www.hlj.com/product/SMSSM1024

https://www.megahobby.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=718&SetOrderBy=1

That looks like the colour they used. https://www.hlj.com/product/SMSSM1124

Microsol https://tinyurl.com/o57c7h

The best thing would actually be some form of water slide carbon decals softened with microsol so it shapes around the curves that gives that professional look.

They never painted that. The question is what's the right pattern.

https://www.hlj.com/product/SMSSM1024

https://www.megahobby.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=718&SetOrderBy=1

That looks like the colour they used. https://www.hlj.com/product/SMSSM1124

Microsol https://tinyurl.com/o57c7h

Thanks Vodoun....that's actually a really innovative idea. Unfortunately for me, I was so eager to repaint the carbon fibre that I started before I read your post! :monkey3

I've completed the chest portion already, and it turned out pretty good. I air-brushed a thin layer of dark-aluminum, so that a bit of the dots/pattern still show, and then I finished it off with a light flat-black wash over it. I will post some pics soon.

True, true. And I think that is a major problem. People are saying the Medi figure is leaps and bounds beyond the HT one, but that is based off of pics of customized Medicom figures. They are about equal out of the box I think. They each have their own set of flaws. I guess to a non-customizer it just depends which of those flaws you can live with is the one you'd pick as the best.

I'd have to disagree with this, because while they do in fact both have their flaws, i think ones are less severe than the other in some cases. Really the area that HT most exceeds is its articulation and poseability, but looks wise it isn't as good as the medi, out of the box or otherwise.

And i am a HT fanatic, believe me, but just being honest with both figures in hand, the biggest detriment out of the box for the medi is paint, for the face, making the headsculpt look cartoonish, but the sculpt is still there. The ht's paint is better, but its sculpt is way off, especially when compared to one so good like the medi.

And frankly paint is much easier to fix than a sculpt. So out of the box the medi wins there, even if you dont fix the paint, he still looks more like bale thna the HT. The armor is also more accurate, at first i wasn't taht worried, but after having both i find i like my HT's suit less nad less, as it looks dry and rubbery compared to the sleek look of the medi.

But im not trying to debate, just point out what is clear if you have both in hand. Im not a big medi fan im first to point out their problems, but in this cas,e they did in fact do better, granted they had more time and referencce to do it with.

HT most exceeds is its articulation and poseability, but looks wise it isn't as good as the medi, out of the box or otherwise.

True, best thing about HT is the articulation, legs are more poseable.

And i am a HT fanatic, believe me, but just being honest with both figures in hand, the biggest detriment out of the box for the medi is paint, for the face, making the headsculpt look cartoonish, but the sculpt is still there. The ht's paint is better, but its sculpt is way off, especially when compared to one so good like the medi.

And frankly paint is much easier to fix than a sculpt. So out of the box the medi wins there, even if you dont fix the paint, he still looks more like bale thna the HT.

HT has better paint work, thats for sure but the Medicom sculpt is definitely the better of the two.

Repainting a head sculpt is also definitely easier than resculpting a head sculpt.

True, best thing about HT is the articulation, legs are more poseable.

Until... crack!

Repainting a head sculpt is also definitely easier than resculpting a head sculpt.

Something also irks me on the cowl/head sculpts of Hot Toys Batman figs. It looks a little grainy and pitted.

It's not like that in the films. Medicom's is smooth.

l839cb923dcbdd79711b861.jpg

Back