Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3D Printers have been around for awhile and they are still expensive but not nearly as expensive as they once were and the quality is getting better all the time as well.

These were printed through Shapeways and show a variety of materials they offer. They are about 3/4" long and maybe 1/16" thick.

Operation Death Panda Kunai by dangercorpse, on Flickr

Took a new Horde group pic (sans Horde Prime). Trying out new lighting techniques, this was largely lit using candles except for the light on Shadow Weaver's wand which was done with an LED.

Not entirely happy with it to be honest but I'm figuring out how to use multiple differently lit photos to combine into a single picture.

IMG_9801 by dangercorpse, on Flickr

Tytus and Megator are much cooler and they have legs :)

I don't see what else she could have in terms of articulation.

I agree.
What are you talking about? When they came out that was most people's complaints about them, the lack of articulation. One of the reasons Procrustus was liked so well was the added articulation.

it's more of a targeted comment.....

Tytus and Megator are much cooler and they have legs :)

true.. but they lack more important joints... like shoulder ball-joints, and upper arm swivels.

explain....

Is this 3D printing where someone can replicate just about anything in plastic form through computers and then moulding?

Yep. It will change the whole world. And the items can be complicated. People have already "printed" working guns using the technology!

interesting...i'm sure a machine like that would be expensive

A Blue-Ray player USED TO be expensive. Give it time and the technology will become cheap. You will have one in your home one day.

Last edited:
Yep. It will change the whole world. And the items can be complicated. People have already "printed" working guns using the technology!

that I knew about

didn't realize that it would enter the world of toys

Yeah, all you'll need is a blueprint and the raw materials and you can make any toy you want.

even articulated toys? in that video it seemed like mostly statue figurines or stationary type things

I will say for smaller stuff the quality of material and the finish of it isn't quite up to snuff for smaller stuff. The coarse texture of a lot of the materials works well for mimicking certain textures like metal but for say… skin it doesn't really hold up. At least that's true with the materials Shapeways offers.

even articulated toys? in that video it seemed like mostly statue figurines or stationary type things

Yeah, that will be more advanced, but it will definitely happen. The less advanced model might require you to snap them together, but later models will be able to do that for you. Remember, they can make a firearm today, and those have moving parts.

I can't find it at the moment but someone on shapeways has a print of pre-assembled 1/6 scale maille that's very impressive. Interlinking shapes seem to be pretty easy to do. Printing something pre-assembled that has moving parts that touch like a ball-in-socket joint I don't think is possible atm. I'm not sure it needs to be though.

A cloth cape or moss-man's fur might require another part...but you'll have no problem printing any pure plastic figures.

I am too far behind MOTUC to catch up. I'm just picking up my favs from this point onwards.

Was on the fence about King He-Man but more figures from the He-Ro faction won't be coming till 2015.

I am not so sure and here is why I think that.

MOTUC Classics are the best representation of the characters we grew up with.
I cannot imagine any future MOTU toyline where they revisit those same looks and designs we hold so dear.

After MOTUC is done, we will never see these retro versions of the characters again. The movie will be a different animal and there will be new looks etc.

the Classics line are better updates of the originals.What Sorceress is going to be better than this one? The movie is guaranteed to stray alot from the source

One thing I can see is potentially MOTUC-style Classic characters appearing here and there within a movie line.

Good examples of this can be found in various GI Joe lines: Low Light in Pursuit of Cobra, Airtight in Renegades, etc. Sometimes they're "better" versions of figures that have already been done, like that new Firefly in the Retaliation three-pack.

Not sure if Mattel would do something like this, but it's a possibility. Hopefully they do, if we end up with missing MOTUC figures like Two-Bad, etc. If the odd figure like Sorceress gets redone as well, I won't mind. As nice as she is, that wing articulation/joint IS pretty odd looking.

But yeah, on the whole, I don't see a classic-inspired line like this ever happening again - certainly not with any kind of the breadth we've seen with MOTUC. Quite frankly, it's pretty amazing that we've come this far.

Hopefully, when it is done, Mattel can obtain that pesky Thundercats license... As far as I'm concerned, Bandai has proven it doesn't deserve it whatseover. :)

If there is not enough figures to go around,then these characters will continue to be demanded in the future as people begin to start collecting them.There is a big difference between only 10-15,000 Fisto's,Sorceress' to go around VS the 1,000,000 made of Vintage Fisto/Sorceress's back in the day

This is also a good point.

Hopefully, when it is done, Mattel can obtain that pesky Thundercats license... As far as I'm concerned, Bandai has proven it doesn't deserve it whatseover. :)

It took less than a year for Bandai to sink the new line. :slap
I look at the minimates and think Mattel could have done all of those figures in 6-7" scale by now with a Thundercats Classic subscription. I wonder how long before the deal expires with Bandai even though they're not making anything.

It took less than a year for Bandai to sink the new line. :slap
I look at the minimates and think Mattel could have done all of those figures in 6-7" scale by now with a Thundercats Classic subscription. I wonder how long before the deal expires with Bandai even though they're not making anything.

No kidding. Why even bother, Bandai? God, that company sucks.

I would have preferred them to be a bit larger, but the figures weren't bad. I can't believe we only ever got TWO, wtf.

Back