Marvel's WHAT IF?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking forward to this series. So far the first one was a miss. The second one was pretty ok (though I don't know if my thoughts are influenced by Chadwick there).

I think they are missing the mark so far. I think a What If of different outcomes would be more interesting. What if Tony Stark died and never became Iron Man? What if they couldn’t undo the blip? What if Sakovia had landed? Those kind of things more than what if this character swapped places with this character. I guess a more of a what if the heroes failed would be more interesting to me than what we’ve seen so far.

Eh, I wasn't a huge fan of this week. Despite T'Challa spending most of his formative years growing up under the care of smugglers and pirates, his moral compass remains pitch perfect and he is elevated to Space Jesus; drawing fittingly messianic fawning praise from every single person he comes into contact with. It's like the writers were scared to give him any kind of human flaws, let alone allow him to have conflict with any character who was not a clear villain.

I don't know if the dick-sucking of T'Challa or the quips were worse. Jesus, I'm watching these at 3.0x and I still feel it's wasted time. I'm just looking for some nods or something to DS2 like that "tentacle monster" in Ep.1. What the Hell was this? Seriously? I get that being raised as a Prince means he's more capable and diplomatic than some kid from Missouri, but Jesus. The whole episode was an affront to Star-Lord. I'm not even a fan of the character, but he was dragged through the mud by making Panther-Lord such a shining god. And don't get me started on the quips. Who approved that scene with Korath?

Thanos just gives up due to Talk-No-Justsu off-screen and becomes a goddamn Space Pirate? Yeah yeah, we had Space Pirate (Young) Thanos back in Thanos Rising, and this is a What If and all but it just felt so... inconsequential. He went from a 3-Phase Villain to being dunked by mooks in a goddamn alley. I'm used to fluctuating power-levels and AUs in comics, since there's a universe-hopping time-travelling villainous-AU starring in a crossover every other month, but in the movies it's different since the power levels and fantasy aspects are turned down from the funnybooks.

It all just feels like a massive cashgrab with no investment. What Ifs used to be cool concepts at least. These are just boring swaps. The ones I'm looking forward to are the Killmonger/Stark and Strange ones. Maybe those will be at least entertaining.

Is each story in it's own timeline? I've seen in the trailer where they all team up in an Avengers team shot.

Second episode was okay and more along the lines of what I was expecting. Not ground-breaking TV but a fine 30-40 minute weekday show.

The series can only go up from the 1st episode of What if we swapped two characters in a movie, kept the same themes, and forced it all into a 30 minute show instead of a 2 hour movie.

Is each story in it's own timeline? I've seen in the trailer where they all team up in an Avengers team shot.
Some of them will be in different timelines. The zombie one has to be because it has Steve Cap.

The Collector also has Captain America’s shield in this one so it also has to be a different timeline.

I agree that there are missed opportunities with the 'What If' concept, as stated by @Buttmunch (the handles on this board :LOL:) ... but I guess my standards for this aren't high because I haven't had a huge problem with either of the episodes. They're fun cartoons.

Nazis suffer unpleasant deaths, aliens zap each other. Jokes are made. Some of them land, some them don't. It's like greasy pizza at midnight after the bar, it meets expectations.

I agree that there are missed opportunities with the 'What If' concept, as stated by @Buttmunch (the handles on this board :LOL:) ... but I guess my standards for this aren't high because I haven't had a huge problem with either of the episodes. They're fun cartoons.

Nazis suffer unpleasant deaths, aliens zap each other. Jokes are made. Some of them land, some them don't. It's like greasy pizza at midnight after the bar, it meets expectations.
Kinda just sums up the MCU as a whole

It's almost as if nobody at Marvel Studios was aware that "What If?" was a truly ****** book that usually had Z-grade nobodies as fill-in artists every month, and the stories were all abysmally stupid.

Every issue was exactly the same: an excuse to "shockingly" kill random characters and have no consequences for it, and as a try-out for new artists.

I think DC did it better when they introduced the idea of "Elseworlds" cause that really allowed people to run wild the characters and concepts, not just "What if so-and-so did THIS at the end of this story from 15 years ago?"

It's almost as if nobody at Marvel Studios was aware that "What If?" was a truly ****** book that usually had Z-grade nobodies as fill-in artists every month, and the stories were all abysmally stupid.

Every issue was exactly the same: an excuse to "shockingly" kill random characters and have no consequences for it, and as a try-out for new artists.

I think DC did it better when they introduced the idea of "Elseworlds" cause that really allowed people to run wild the characters and concepts, not just "What if so-and-so did THIS at the end of this story from 15 years ago?"
Red Son Superman is a fantastic series, unlike the garbage movie adaptation.

What If my **** was bigger?

It would have been a different life for you jye, and you still could have talked Star Wars by the pool with Khev...

actresses_and_their_absolute_hottest_scenes_21.gif

ca32cfd1d997aeb9063de6b165b6ea30.gif

EhAsq11U8AA1Q9i.jpg

Back