Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Holiday Special

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one and only thing from phase 4 that I’ve seen (I consider myself extremely lucky) and thought it was… fine?

Didn‘t love it, didn’t hate it. From what I can tell it’s the least offensive thing to come out of phase 4 (aside from No Way Home, not sure if that counts though.)

I didn't laugh once nor did I get any heartfelt feels. Maybe I'm dead inside.

Easy test for this, my friend

Look down at your left hand. Do you see a wedding ring?

If so, all hope is lost. All your bases belong to someone else. You're like Captain Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly, staring deep into the abyss and the abyss doesn't stare back at you.

If not, eat pancakes for dinner smeared in nacho cheese sauce whenever you want and rejoice.

I haven't seen The Doors in a long time, but I question if Val Kilmer did you justice. However, it's an interesting interlude to imagine that film, then extrapolate Kilmer and Meg Ryan to Top Gun. What if Iceman had an affair with Goose's wife ( Meg Ryan) What if it was before Goose died? Or after? Think about the tension there in Top Gun Maverick if Miles Teller has a scene where he comes home, then Val Kilmer shows up walking out of his mom's bedroom just in boxers, with a leopard skin print, and asks Rooster if he wants to play catch or not. What if Rooster had two surrogate "fathers"? One is Maverick, the other is a high ranking admiral in Iceman.... So much unresolved tension there.

Enjoy your pancakes. Merry Xmas

I'm so dead inside that I pee dust. Nothing can warm my heart cause I don't have one.

But I liked this. Not at all cause it was "heartwarming" or "emotional." It wasn't!! It was just another stupid Disney product. They are as incapable of conveying genuine emotion as I am of feeling them.

But it was mildly amusing. Drax is a big funny idiot, and Mantis a cute funny idiot. Those two bumbling around Los Angeles amused me for 30 minutes. I especially liked Drax's attachment to the stuffed elf.

It was James Gunn's sensibilities but sanitized enough for kids. I found it very good-natured and without any divisive political ******** that every other Phase 4 product was dripping with.

I'm so dead inside that I pee dust. Nothing can warm my heart cause I don't have one.

But I liked this. Not at all cause it was "heartwarming" or "emotional." It wasn't!! It was just another stupid Disney product. They are as incapable of conveying genuine emotion as I am of feeling them.

But it was mildly amusing. Drax is a big funny idiot, and Mantis a cute funny idiot. Those two bumbling around Los Angeles amused me for 30 minutes. I especially liked Drax's attachment to the stuffed elf.

It was James Gunn's sensibilities but sanitized enough for kids. I found it very good-natured and without any divisive political ******** that every other Phase 4 product was dripping with.
It still had that “actors” morality lecture in there :yuck

I think the actor stuff was just Hollywood inside jokes, once again bending over backwards to slap themselves on the back.

Nobody cares about actors except for other actors.

One of my kids was watching this the other day. They insisted daddy watch it with them. I found it borderline unwatchable. It's normally their mum that watches this superhero rubbish with them but this time I got roped into it.
But then, I'm not into these superhero things so I wouldn't read too much into that.

I'll say this much.

It was nice to see Mantis and Kraglin get a little more screen time and development.

There's a decent choice both will die in GOTG3. Along with others. Best to give them as much opportunity as possible to showcase their characters. The Kevin Bacon stuff is interesting in that he's generally a bad actor ( in my book) but Gunn just openly laughs at him and with him for being a bad actor. If you watch Pratt, many of his nuances are over the top acting, like real life Bacon. At least Bacon was a good sport about it.

I'll say something that might be unpopular. I think there was some mixed up casting. I would have prefered Karen Gillan as Gamora and Zoe Saldana as Nebula.

Something I do love about the GOTG franchise is it's built around being fun and adventurous. Certainly there's a place for a darker tone like CA Winter Soldier, but sometimes I don't want to be around grim / pained / tortured super heroes.

Gunn has created a very quiet character study on orphans who were forced into an informal family. There are real genuine moments here. So much of the MCU is now packaged and contrived that it's a nice change of pace from the corporate algorithms in charge of the new scripts now.

It looks like they skipped the CG on Nebula's face. I mean, they did the make-up right, but normally they also do some CG to enhance her looks. As it stands, her head looks like it was just done in facepaint (which it was).

You can see the airbrushing on the "metallic" bits on her face and see it bend and flex with her facial expressions. In the movies they'd CG some metallic bits to make these parts of her head look rigid and like actual implants.

Sure they cut corners, but isn't it kinda wild this thing exists? Did they just throw this together while filming GOTG 3?

It's got a lot of star power for a cheesy throwaway TV special. I think it's cool that they did this.

Sure they cut corners, but isn't it kinda wild this thing exists? Did they just throw this together while filming GOTG 3?

It's got a lot of star power for a cheesy throwaway TV special. I think it's cool that they did this.
Yes, I'm happy they actually made it. I think it was filmed during GOTG3. I read the script was written during the filming of GOTG2.

Cut corners but the CGI/VFX is surprisingly better than anything Marvel has put out since Endgame :lol

Back