MARVEL' S Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree with you guys about Mackie starpower, i had my doubts when he was given the shield in endgame but he did a great job as a leadind actor in this, this was a story with 4 protagonist each with there own storylines.

Mackie on his own was fine IMO. However, when Seb was there, Seb stole the scene. When Daniel is there, he then steals the scene from both Anthony and Sebastian.

Yeah, as much as Mackie is not the problem with the show, it is true that there are actors who have it and actors who don't. Denzel Washington has it, Michael B. Jordan has it... I don't think Mackie does...

Hmmm, I'd have said Mackie is more standout than Michael B. Jordan. Denzel is in another league.

With Isaiah standing in for Costner's Jonathan Kent....

Only if a tornado could've hit urban Baltimore...

I meant it in this respect:

Jonathan - Didn't think the world would trust/accept a super powered alien like Clark;
Isaiah - Didn't think the country would trust/accept a black Captain America.

Ultimately both Clark and Sam had to decide for themselves to be heroes.

Hmmm, I'd have said Mackie is more standout than Michael B. Jordan. Denzel is in another league.

I think both Mackie and MBJ are fine actors but given that MBJ would never have been cast as Sam (too young for what the role called for going back to CATWS), it's rather pointless to bring him into the discussion. (Not that you brought him up.) Until you give someone a lead role opportunity it's hard to know for sure they've got that "IT" factor, and with very few exceptions there aren't that many black actors of Mackie's age who have been given the opportunity. IMO he has plenty of appeal, but just like every other actor he's at the mercy of the script and the director's "artistic vision". There are plenty of superstars out there with absolute DUDS on their resumes (i.e., MUCH worse than F&TWS), so it seems a bit premature to exclude AM from lead roles based on this outing.

And yes, Denzel is in another league.

58FC76B4-4A42-4698-85A4-DB338A652C85.jpeg

More gasoline for the thread:

Talking to Vanity Fair, actor Carl Lumbly gave his take on what it means to be a Black Captain America in today's world and shared his thoughts on what the person wielding the shield should exemplify.

"Captain America should want to recruit the skills and the aspirations and the dreams of Americans, across the board," he says. "His judgements about the way he goes about doing what he does should involve compassion, as well as ... what’s the word? Efficiency. In dealing with things that should not be, he should take stands that he feels strongly about, and that perhaps not everyone might agree with."

"I think Captain America needs to be a listener," Lumbly added. "Of course, just to assess whatever he is being told and make decisions, but even more than that, to allow people to have a say."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/m...kes-a-great-captain-america-a184322#gs.zv98wa

More gasoline for the thread:

Talking to Vanity Fair, actor Carl Lumbly gave his take on what it means to be a Black Captain America in today's world and shared his thoughts on what the person wielding the shield should exemplify.

"Captain America should want to recruit the skills and the aspirations and the dreams of Americans, across the board," he says. "His judgements about the way he goes about doing what he does should involve compassion, as well as ... what?s the word? Efficiency. In dealing with things that should not be, he should take stands that he feels strongly about, and that perhaps not everyone might agree with."

"I think Captain America needs to be a listener," Lumbly added. "Of course, just to assess whatever he is being told and make decisions, but even more than that, to allow people to have a say."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/m...kes-a-great-captain-america-a184322#gs.zv98wa

Just reading that excerpt, it sounds like he's saying a Black Captain America should emulate Steve Rogers.

Cap is there to preserve freedom to express ideas, not to get on a podium for politics. There is a reason why he never did that in the movies. Obviously, any forms of violence or schemes for violence, he is there to take on. But Lumby wants you to be like LeBron, mouth off on Twitter for what "he deems right" because "he listens". I don't see LeBron talking diversity with the NBA being the most un-diverse league, because it is now in his favor. Lumby doesn't have the foresight that political winds and opinions change, and Cap is above that. Freedom and punishment after the crime. Lumby says the same vague crap that everyone who wants to change the world says.

Great example. The black community wanted Michael Jordan to support a black political running in N.C. Jordan said famously, "Republicans buy sneakers, too." Just cause a lot of people want you to do one thing, doesn't mean you are representing everyone.

Cap is there to preserve freedom to express ideas, not to get on a podium for politics. There is a reason why he never did that in the movies. Obviously, any forms of violence or schemes for violence, he is there to take on. But Lumby wants you to be like LeBron, mouth off on Twitter for what "he deems right" because "he listens". I don't see LeBron talking diversity with the NBA being the most un-diverse league, because it is now in his favor. Lumby doesn't have the foresight that political winds and opinions change, and Cap is above that. Freedom and punishment after the crime. Lumby says the same vague crap that everyone who wants to change the world says.

Great example. The black community wanted Michael Jordan to support a black political running in N.C. Jordan said famously, "Republicans buy sneakers, too." Just cause a lot of people want you to do one thing, doesn't mean you are representing everyone.

?????????

That's pretty big leap you're making. Lumbly didn't say any of those things in the Vanity Fair interview. Maybe stick to the facts...

?????????

That's pretty big leap you're making. Lumbly didn't say any of those things in the Vanity Fair interview. Maybe stick to the facts...

I can read in between the lines. Watched enough tv to know where people want to lead you to. -The Who, "Won't get fooled again."

I think both Mackie and MBJ are fine actors but given that MBJ would never have been cast as Sam (too young for what the role called for going back to CATWS), it's rather pointless to bring him into the discussion. (Not that you brought him up.) Until you give someone a lead role opportunity it's hard to know for sure they've got that "IT" factor, and with very few exceptions there aren't that many black actors of Mackie's age who have been given the opportunity. IMO he has plenty of appeal, but just like every other actor he's at the mercy of the script and the director's "artistic vision". There are plenty of superstars out there with absolute DUDS on their resumes (i.e., MUCH worse than F&TWS), so it seems a bit premature to exclude AM from lead roles based on this outing.

And yes, Denzel is in another league.

I've found Denzel to be a bit one-note at times; that being said I'd probably watch him any day of the week:mad:.

And if I could do whatever I wanted, a lot of this showrunner's vision would have been either ditched or toned down. Unlike IMO better MCU efforts where I think about it some more, really notice some detail, and appreciate it even more. Ragnarok was one of those; ended seeing it 3x in theater.

Mostly with this show it's stuff that *&&^% me off; today it was thinking that the fact that Steve Rogers, who was a titan in these two men's lives, is gone. And that fact is treated pretty dismissively. Steve may not be gone?, but there's this big gapping hole. For Bucky, who followed Steve twice in major arcs, and "died" for it in the first arc, his best friend/brother is gone. Sam pretty well trashed his own life/job for Steve.

Don't mean they should sit around a barbecue and cry, but *&^% I'd at least have thought they'd TALK about it. To be fair the show alludes to a lot about Steve, but it isn't what I would have thought. You'd at least think they'd have a *manly* toast or something. Besides the *badassery*, what was some of the appeal of the MCU? The relationships. Steve and Bucky, Sam and Steve, Steve and Nat, Hawkeye and Nat, Tony and Bruce...

Also I'd think Sam-the-former-vet counselor might've asked Bucky how he was doing with more compassion than nagging or more or less implying that no old white guy was gonna tell him what to do:pfft:.

I hate this show:stake. It nerfed Bucky and made Sam a pompous self-righteous blowhard. IMO it's one of the worst things the MCU ever put out, and some of the worst writing.:pfft:

Also I'd think Sam-the-former-vet counselor might've asked Bucky how he was doing with more compassion than nagging

Damn, great point. Sam was basically a completely different person simply because the showrunner's agenda dictated that he needed to be. Jake Wilson, lol.

And Sharon's little Senate meeting at the end sucked compared to BW's hearing at the end of TWS. I know they thought they were all delivering an epic "Kaiser Soze" reveal but...nope, lol.

?????????

No offense, but it seems more like you just went where you wanted to go, regardless if his words led there or not. :D

Well I wrote a paragraph with my thoughts on it, a sentence with telling me about facts doesn't quite prove your point. Efficiency in his quote seemed quite odd to me. But "reporters" never really pressure these celebrities to refine their broad and overarching opinions. I want specific examples from them so I know exactly what they mean. If a poll of people says to talk about this issue, does Cap march out there and adjust his point of view to theirs? Is he always bending in the wind for the topic of today?

Since a Secret Invasion storyline is upcoming, the newest fan theories are that Sharon Carter is a Skrull.

Would actually make sense since the Power Broker bit is way off base and out of character for Sharon Carter. One of the things that really bugged me in this show.

Since a Secret Invasion storyline is upcoming, the newest fan theories are that Sharon Carter is a Skrull.

Would actually make sense since the Power Broker bit is way off base and out of character for Sharon Carter. One of the things that really bugged me in this show.

They really need to just say all characters in this show were Skrulls in order to clean up this mess, lol.

Its the government who has to come with the solution, but in this case the problem have an easy solution, it was just money, the show tell us that the "immigration from the blip" was solved by the government spending money and working with the people who became refugees.
The government needed someone to push them to the right anwser and this is exactly what Sam did in the speach after Karly scared them.

I disagree with you guys about Mackie starpower, i had my doubts when he was given the shield in endgame but he did a great job as a leadind actor in this, this was a story with 4 protagonist each with there own storylines.

I think you're making the same mistake as the writers of the show: oversimplifying. You can't just throw money at all the issues Karli's "revolution" wants to address. And while I agree with a lot of them, they are never properly explained, and Sam's speech doesn't really address them.

Here's a very interesting take on the issues raised by the show:

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/falcon-winter-soldier-flag-smashers-refugees

The GRC member should have looked at Sam and said "Remember when Steve threw down his shield and kicked Batroc's ass? While you made fun of his nationality but could barely hold your own WITH a shield and only escaped thanks to your fancy peacock wings? Do better." *lights cigarette and calls for his limo*

Last edited:
Damn, great point. Sam was basically a completely different person simply because the showrunner's agenda dictated that he needed to be. Jake Wilson, lol.

And Sharon's little Senate meeting at the end sucked compared to BW's hearing at the end of TWS. I know they thought they were all delivering an epic "Kaiser Soze" reveal but...nope, lol.

Well, they tried hard there:cool:. I did like Sharon's look of humbleness lol.

I'm guessing but I had read complaints in the past that some black people dismissed Falcon as a black hero because he goofed off too much, or was too "fun" or whatever. So the show decided to make him the steely-jawed hero.

IMO, not everyone can have the presence of Boseman or Eastwood, so don't try. It was a mistake with Will Smith and a mistake with a talented actor (Mackie). Like,
the scene with Sam wiping the blood from the shield, and his expression, I thought was perfect.

That didn't mean he had to be weighed down through the whole show. Or, yah know, that a terrorist shouldn't be called a terrorist.:slap
I didn't even recognize the character I've spent money on.:(

Back