MAFEX Robocop 1/12 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these frequent with MAFEX figures? I only collect Medicom RAH (their 1/6 lines) and I will say the plastic they use to produce parts and bodies are the absolute worst I have seen from a company in this hobby (3rd parties included)
They're fragile. So folks thinking they can just man-handle them like a ML will inevitably be met with breakage or a snapped joint. It's not hard to do if you're not familiar with 1/12 scale import fig quality.

There are QC issues from time to time like any other mass produced product but it's not something that is just "happening to everyone".

Treat them like a $100 1/12 scale figure or you'll break it pretty easy. They aren't toys or ment for children like domestic figures.

I've never broke one and have a closet full of them. But that's my experience. Whatever care you'd give to a model kit, you should expect to give some of that kind of care to Japanese imports.

You're essentially sacrificing a lot of the "ruggedness" of a domestic figure for quality sculpts, paint apps and well hidden articulation.

So yeah, expect them to be 3 times more fragile than any domestic figure like a gummy plastic ML that's still to this day designed for children to actually play with.

Japanese figs are ment for display purposes with hidden articulation and excellent range of motion being huge selling point. They're very photogenic too, generally.

Last edited:
Are these frequent with MAFEX figures? I only collect Medicom RAH (their 1/6 lines) and I will say the plastic they use to produce parts and bodies are the absolute worst I have seen from a company in this hobby (3rd parties included)

Rather frequent, yeah. But Medicom is actually learning.

Previous releases had the hands loose in box. In their compartments, of course, but on their own. With that it came down to severe breakages of the hand pegs, while trying to exchange hands, with the stubs being stuck in the hand, pegs non-usable and no extra pegs being provided.

Recent releases have seen the hand pairs (meaning left and right) being in a larger compartment, connected through a translucent piece to "hold open" the holes and therefor widening the tolerance of the hand pegs.

Last figures I got were Black-, Cyborg Superman & Steel, all used the latter method. None had any breakages.

They're fragile. So folks thinking they can just man-handle them like a ML will inevitably be met with breakage or a snapped joint. It's not hard to do if you're not familiar with 1/12 scale import fig quality.

There are QC issues from time to time like any other mass produced product but it's not something that is just "happening to everyone".

Treat them like a $100 1/12 scale figure or you'll break it pretty easy. They aren't toys or ment for children like domestic figures.

I've never broke one and have a closet full of them. But that's my experience. Whatever care you'd give to a model kit, you should expect to give some of that kind of care to Japanese imports.

You're essentially sacrificing a lot of the "ruggedness" of a domestic figure for quality sculpts, paint apps and well hidden articulation.

So yeah, expect them to be 3 times more fragile than any domestic figure like a gummy plastic ML that's still to this day designed for children to actually play with.

Japanese figs are ment for display purposes with hidden articulation and excellent range of motion being huge selling point. They're very photogenic too, generally.

Cannot copy that statement.
I got a lot of figures, including Mezco, Mafex, Hot Toys and it comes down to tolerancing. Plain and simple.
You don't need to "manhandle" the figures, but just normally handle them and figures should be able to withstand normal handling.
If they don't, then the QC is bad. Plain and simple.

The shoulder on my R2 was loose straight out of the box, meaning broken, but still hanging by a thread, apparently.

Cannot copy that statement.
I got a lot of figures, including Mezco, Mafex, Hot Toys and it comes down to tolerancing. Plain and simple.
You don't need to "manhandle" the figures, but just normally handle them and figures should be able to withstand normal handling.
If they don't, then the QC is bad. Plain and simple.

The shoulder on my R2 was loose straight out of the box, meaning broken, but still hanging by a thread, apparently.

Looks like you've set your mind and in not here to change it. Was only offering my own opinion.

I don't think Mafex or any other Japanese 1/12 scale brand is for you, bud.

Have a good one.

Looks like you've set your mind and in not here to change it. Was only offering my own opinion.

I don't think Mafex or any other Japanese 1/12 scale brand is for you, bud.

Have a good one.

If you're coming at me with that mindset, "that I got my mind set to anything", without even knowing me and only judging from one small interaction, then we are not "buds". Plain and simple. You have chosen the most wrong way to rub me wrong.

Apparently you haven't even READ my comment. "I got a lot of figures, including Mezco, Mafex, Hot Toys,..."
Mezco and Mafex almost exclusively deal 1/12 and only older figures have broken on me, with Robocop being dubbed "Renewal", yet still being an older product.

Before that I got the Red Demon Asura, by V Toys and then worked an absolute charm, but sure:
judge me, or my handling of figures, by one comment...bud.

Last edited:
If you're coming at me with that mindset, "that I got my mind set to anything", without evening knowing me and only judging from one small interaction, then we are not "buds". Plain and simple. You have chosen the the most wrong way to rub me wrong.

Apparently you haven't even READ my comment. "I got a lot of figures, including Mezco, Mafex, Hot Toys,..."
Mezco and Mafex almost exclusively deal 1/12 and only older figures have broken on me, with Robocop being dubbed "Renewal", yet still being an older product.

Before that I got the Red Demon Asura, by V Toys and then worked an absolute charm, but sure:
judge me, or my handling of figures, by one comment...bud.
Take it however ya like. 🤷

Apparently you are a real rhetorical genius then.
"Are these frequent with Mafex figures?"

I was just offering my experience. You sound like you're dead set against them after my reply. Why would I bother to go further?

In my opinion, you shouldn't collect them, going forward. How is that some kind of insult to you?

Now do kindly **** right off, please.

"Are these frequent with Mafex figures?"

I was just offering my experience. You sound like you're dead set against them after my reply. Why would I bother to go further?

In my opinion, you shouldn't collect them, going forward. How is that some kind of insult to you?

Now do kindly **** right off, please.

How about **** no, hm?

You always discuss things this way? Set yourself on some kind of opinion, without even hinting at opening an open and healthy discourse?

How about **** no, hm?

You always discuss things this way? Set yourself on some kind of opinion, without even hinting at opening an open and healthy discourse?
When the insults shot from your side of the screen, I was done.

Take a hint and move on, pal.

When the insults shot from your side of the screen, I was done.

Take a hint and move on, pal.

What insult? Me taking your stuff as one, cause you just "think" I shouldn't collect them and calling me "bud"?
Are you mental? Besides being pretentions, I mean.

Oh and one last thing: taking a hint? Are you threatening me?
Again: are you mental?

What insult? Me taking your stuff as one, cause you just "think" I shouldn't collect them and calling me "bud"?
Are you mental? Besides being pretentions, I mean.

Oh and one last thing: taking a hint? Are you threatening me?
Again: are you mental?
Sleep it off, bro. Have a good night.

Back