Action Figure MAFEX Big Chap (Alien)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of quick pics to show how to get that knees-together, feet-apart look.

When you align the details of the tubes on the sides of the legs with the details on the hips, you automatically achieve the look.

222590ecd5cb9441347f18a88aaa0a96.jpg

That will also ensure that the sculpted detail on the upper thighs almost “slots” into position, making it flow into the pelvis with no need of tucking it under, if you so prefer. Besides, it will probably minimize the wear and tear on the green paint.

78671524cb786d89e9b4ea015ca0182b.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

And finally a couple more poses, nothing too exciting, though.

aa4db28a808e273635b52c8f4e9f8857.jpg

Different filter.

6a62b9e41f6998a5597007cafaeb0f0f.jpg

And another.

718b5dbd05cdef8818f74f48a2306a3d.jpg

Last one (still not missing the elbow swivel).

59227abf990b37cc5c072b0dea854ef3.jpg

I did get a couple more dynamic poses, but they didn’t photograph well on my old iPhone, so I went with the more conservative ones.

I hope you enjoy them!

Thanks for the excellent photos once again Abake. I've finally ordered this guy from a seller on Amazon, direct from Japan. They've not dispatched it yet though. If you haven't picked it up yet I would recommend J W Rinzler's Making Of Alien published by Titan Books. It goes through the process of making the movie from Dan O'Bannon's days at UNSC in infinitesimal detail. The books a riveting read, my only criticism being that there's some rare photos of the ALIEN relegated to thumbnails.

I have never done a toy review or unboxing before but got my feet wet with this video....please check it out. I am going to do a new more detailed video but this should give you some decent HD footage and an unboxing experience
thanks!
MAFEX ALIEN UNBOXING AND COMPARISON TO KOTOBUKIYA ArtFX BIG CHAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOPuUXpBbw&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the video, great stuff. Looking forward to part two. Checked out your instagram, WOW! You are one seriously talented artist.

Thanks for the video, great stuff. Looking forward to part two. Checked out your instagram, WOW! You are one seriously talented artist.

Hey thanks. I've been working professionally for a long time. It's fun to be a part of this business. Not sure it will upload but I did an Alien poster for 20th Century Fox a year or so back/ It's all hand drawn with rapidographs except the color...I even hand drew the logos. new-breed_friend_1024x1024.jpg

Got him today but I'm in work so can't really do much with him or compare him to the NECA figures for myself.

His head and one of his arms were already off inside the package and I seemingly can't get the arm back on without the hairdryer treatment which is strange considering how easily he comes apart generally. He's not broken, but it's still irritating. This is their version of NECA's warped legs and back tubes perhaps. (thankfully those aren't issues on this figure) The green tone is unfortunate as are the seams near the borders of the dome.

Other than those things I think it's going to be positive. The dome protruding at the front seems like it's an easy fix for anyone due to its softness (hopefully this means it won't crack/split like NECA's can). I was worried that the second head had been rendered pointless if the dome was going to be jutting out like that but thankfully not so.

The facehugger and chestburster are cool, I like that they're designed to work with other figures. NECA are providing facehuggers and chestbursters that are displayable separately on their own merits so the ones coming with this figure are a nice novelty.

Overall the figure cuts a good silhouette of the '79 Alien I would say. I like it.

Glad you finally got yours a-dev!
Really odd about the arm not plucking back in easily though...

The hairdryer did the trick.

I'm happy with the figure - I can't wait till NECA unveils their diorama (which I think they're going to be selling, i.e. not just a showpiece). I can imagine this guy looking great in it with the lighting set-up it's supposed to have. Ripley peers around the corner and

Hey thanks. I've been working professionally for a long time. It's fun to be a part of this business. Not sure it will upload but I did an Alien poster for 20th Century Fox a year or so back/ It's all hand drawn with rapidographs except the color...I even hand drew the logos. View attachment 463876

Sweet Mother MacCrae that's beautiful. It's a shame Fox didn't get you to do the cover for the 40th anniversary 4k blu ray release. I just got the shipping notice for this "little rascal", so should have him soon :impatient:

Hello! I haven't posted on this forum in about 9 years. Had kids, stopped collecting for a while, all of that. Hello again Abake, great pics and poses by the way!

Anyway got the Mafex figure about two weeks ago. Was super excited about it, but that's kind of faded since I got the Kotobukiya a week ago. That piece still just blows me away. But, static pose, so there's that.
Both are great though. Love the sculpt on the Mafex but the paint kind of bugs me now. Still, one of the best figures out there true to the movie.

vRzLapX.jpg

irxL0Sl.jpg

GMwy7eb.jpg

l0MCnWd.jpg

48348215746_27939d5d76.jpg

Lousy flash pic with the Neca & SH Monsterarts.
IaCQzJy.jpg

There's just no beating this in my mind though-
SO GOOD!
xWY0sJY.jpg

Totally agree with you! The Kotobukiya is something truly special. It just seems to be absolute perfection in terms of proportions, look and feel. Just goes to show that not all thousand dollar plus statues can always truly capture the look and feel of these iconic characters of cinema.

Hello! I haven't posted on this forum in about 9 years. Had kids, stopped collecting for a while, all of that. Hello again Abake, great pics and poses by the way!

Anyway got the Mafex figure about two weeks ago. Was super excited about it, but that's kind of faded since I got the Kotobukiya a week ago. That piece still just blows me away. But, static pose, so there's that.
Both are great though. Love the sculpt on the Mafex but the paint kind of bugs me now. Still, one of the best figures out there true to the movie.

great collection. I agree the paint on the MAFEX is a slightly odd choice but like you, having both the Kotobukiya and the MAFEX they "hang" pretty well together and I really enjoy having the pair...pose one and the Koto is already in a really cool pose.

Sweet Mother MacCrae that's beautiful. It's a shame Fox didn't get you to do the cover for the 40th anniversary 4k blu ray release. I just got the shipping notice for this "little rascal", so should have him soon :impatient:

it was interesting doing that piece. I was brought on several months before Covenant came out...and they sent me a sample pack of art and design but NONE of the exact Alien design(there were some of the sketches from the movie that are on the walls though)...so I asked...well look Alien fans are HARD core and any little deviation I mess up on they are going to call me out on...what should I do for the Alien?? and they suggested just doing whatever I wanted. hahaha...I just kind of did a homage to Giger and then took bits and pieces of things I thought looked cool.....I have another piece all laid out and have slowly been working on it...it's WAY more detailed and intense than that piece. I will finish it later this year,. Thanks for the nice words!~

View attachment 464003

View attachment 464004

View attachment 464005

View attachment 464007

View attachment 464008

Lousy flash pic with the Neca & SH Monsterarts.
View attachment 464006

There's just no beating this in my mind though-
SO GOOD!
View attachment 464011

Hey James!
Nice to see you back man! Congratulations on the family. :clap

Agreed on the Kotobukiya, it's just such a beautifully accurate statue, simply awesome.
I wonder if Medicom/Mafex will revisit the Alien in 1/6 form...

I think if they released the Kotobukiya in 1/6 it would be an instant purchase for me. In fact, I believe there is a statue company that are pretty much basing their Big Chap version of the Alien on the Koto pose. Was it Prime 1? I'm not entirely sure but I think the Mafex is looking good too.

Agreed on the Kotobukiya, it's just such a beautifully accurate statue, simply awesome.
I wonder if Medicom/Mafex will revisit the Alien in 1/6 form...
I had the Medicom RAH Big Chap. Sculpt was great, paint was bare bones (AKA pretty much missing) and the hands were static. But it was impressive. I wish I would have kept it. And the Marmit statues, loved those original versions.

Those Marmit statues were grails back in the day!
I still have my Medicom alien, it's a nice figure, but I can see this little Mafex fella making the transition to 1/6 scale easily.

Back