Action Figure MAFEX Big Chap (Alien)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The perfect organism.

Just got this figure today and I can honestly say that it's the best Alien sculpt I have seen. In fact I can't see anyone beating it as it's perfect. Both the Giger and Rambaldi heads are incredibly accurate, as is the body even down to Bolaji Badejo's "knock knees". The paint aint so great though, being primarily a very dark khaki with rust highlights on the heads. The teeth and inner jaws are extremely well painted with no slop however. Overall I'd say the Kotobukiya has far better paint apps, although he's far less green in hand thank God. The dome fits perfectly on the Giger head, but not so well on the Rambaldi. If you make sure you push the nub on the front of the dome into the nose of the skull it does fit flush. Another cool feature is that the Rambaldi dome does have a light speckled effect on it. I've been lucky as although parts are easy to swap out all the joints are nice and tight. The poseability is insane! Overall I'm blown away by this figure.

Mine needed glue to keep the dome flush on the Rambaldi head - didn't bother me to do that as I have no interest in ever displaying a 79 Alien minus dome.

I have to say I really like this little chap, no regrets about getting him. The green is visible in daylight, not so much in artificial light I find. It'd probably show up in photographs though.

I guess this means I'm in for any other Mafex Aliens that come out. I will also get their Robocops, they too look pretty nifty. I don't know if they can do Predator or Terminator but they have my attention if they can.

Glad you're enjoying it! :hi5:
Right now, as far as movie accurate Giger aliens go, this is the action figure to have. I'm a big fan of NECA's aliens, but it's no contest in accuracy.
I still might buy NECA's new "ultimate" figures, but I'll wait for in hand pics and reviews before ordering any.

Does anybody think Mafex/Medicom might look to expand this line and make other xenomorphs? It would be great to have Aliens, A3 and A:R versions at this level of quality.

Glad you're enjoying it! :hi5:
Right now, as far as movie accurate Giger aliens go, this is the action figure to have. I'm a big fan of NECA's aliens, but it's no contest in accuracy.
I still might buy NECA's new "ultimate" figures, but I'll wait for in hand pics and reviews before ordering any.

Does anybody think Mafex/Medicom might look to expand this line and make other xenomorphs? It would be great to have Aliens, A3 and A:R versions at this level of quality.

I don't think Medicom went beyond the '79 Alien. But if sales for their Mafex Alien is more than they anticipated maybe? I would assume "Aliens" would be next.

They did Robocop 1/2/3 so I imagine it has occurred to them to look at the other Alien movies...unless they are deterred by having to do new sculpts for each one.

I don't think Medicom went beyond the '79 Alien. But if sales for their Mafex Alien is more than they anticipated maybe? I would assume "Aliens" would be next.

They actually did with their old RAH figures in the 90's. They even had two versions of transparent "Aliens" xenos if I'm not mistaken, so it's not unheard of for them to go deeper into the license.

They did Robocop 1/2/3 so I imagine it has occurred to them to look at the other Alien movies...unless they are deterred by having to do new sculpts for each one.

Well, with their prices, I would think they can stomach the costs of sculpting and tooling... I would also think that a lot of the R&D that went into designing the articulation and sourcing the materials for the Giger alien would be used towards future figures, despite differences in sculpts.

We can dream, can't we? :lol

Of course, at over 100 bucks a figure, a whole collection of aliens from the franchise is much more daunting than with NECA's offerings...

Well, I hope they snap up any license they can before Hot Toys does. You may have seen that Hot Toys will be delving into 1/12, naturally starting with the MCU but who knows what other licenses they'll grab and just sit on while they pump out their usual gajillion Iron Men.

Jeez. And I here I am waiting for them to get a clue and make a Jungle Hunter. We've gotten no 1/12 scale Preds since the MonsterArts Wolf 5-6 years ago. And with all these One12: Collective figures... I feel like there's a huge opportunity going by... :dunno

Well, I hope they snap up any license they can before Hot Toys does. You may have seen that Hot Toys will be delving into 1/12, naturally starting with the MCU but who knows what other licenses they'll grab and just sit on while they pump out their usual gajillion Iron Men.

No, I hadn't heard, or maybe I just didn't pay attention...
Any specific announcements?

The perfect organism.

Just got this figure today and I can honestly say that it's the best Alien sculpt I have seen. In fact I can't see anyone beating it as it's perfect. Both the Giger and Rambaldi heads are incredibly accurate, as is the body even down to Bolaji Badejo's "knock knees". The paint aint so great though, being primarily a very dark khaki with rust highlights on the heads. The teeth and inner jaws are extremely well painted with no slop however. Overall I'd say the Kotobukiya has far better paint apps, although he's far less green in hand thank God. The dome fits perfectly on the Giger head, but not so well on the Rambaldi. If you make sure you push the nub on the front of the dome into the nose of the skull it does fit flush. Another cool feature is that the Rambaldi dome does have a light speckled effect on it. I've been lucky as although parts are easy to swap out all the joints are nice and tight. The poseability is insane! Overall I'm blown away by this figure.

I just got this figure and the joints on mine are incredibly loose. Like, "ball joints just pop apart with no effort" loose. I can't get the domes to sit tightly on either of the heads, and all around it feels like I'm handling a knockoff figure.

I just got this figure and the joints on mine are incredibly loose. Like, "ball joints just pop apart with no effort" loose. I can't get the domes to sit tightly on either of the heads, and all around it feels like I'm handling a knockoff figure.

I'm sorry to hear that mate. The quality control on this figure seems to be hit or miss. Can you get an exchange?

That's too bad about the loose joints, but the dome can be fixed. There's a tab at the front of the dome that goes into the skull's nose. If you put a little dab of superglue on it, you can glue it in place. That's what I did on mine and it looks perfect now.

I'm sorry to hear that mate. The quality control on this figure seems to be hit or miss. Can you get an exchange?

I'm working on that, but I'm not hopeful. Ultimately the "worst" joints are:

- toes of the right foot (of all things)
- bottom two dorsal tubes
- head

That's too bad about the loose joints, but the dome can be fixed. There's a tab at the front of the dome that goes into the skull's nose. If you put a little dab of superglue on it, you can glue it in place. That's what I did on mine and it looks perfect now.
It baffles me that the dome is removable at all. Like, what's the point?
This goes for all Alien figures, not just the Mafex one.

It?s been a Bit quiet in Alien-Land, so I thought I?d post a couple of pics...

It was too much of a hassle to balance him, so I just said screw it and kept the stand!

3f8895ead1bddb6eb61edca07c32103e.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

the pose or angle or both are great, but are you still photoshopping him from grass green to black? :monkey3

Back