LOST discussion - thar be spoilers ahead!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the final print in the Lost poster series tonight, by Tyler Stout:

poster1.gif

It was an ordeal--seven hours of hitting F5 and waiting for an unannounced drop time. It finally hit at 10:42 and sold out in seconds. (One of them sold on eBay for $759 twenty minutes later.)

I'm keeping mine.

I got the final print in the Lost poster series tonight, by Tyler Stout:

poster1.gif

It was an ordeal--seven hours of hitting F5 and waiting for an unannounced drop time. It finally hit at 10:42 and sold out in seconds. (One of them sold on eBay for $759 twenty minutes later.)

I'm keeping mine.

Way to go!! I got one at the Gallery 88 event in L.A. Even got it signed by Damon and Carlton! It was an awesome experience!!

Just stumbled across these myself, and as I'm fairly up to speed on all things LOST, figured they were fairly recent revelations. Forgive me if this is old news though.

The known Episode Titles for Season 6 thus far are:

Ep. 1/2: LA X
Ep. 3: What Kate Does
Ep. 4: The Substitute
Ep. 5: The Lighthouse
Ep. 6: Sundown
Ep. 7: Dr. Linus
Ep. 8: Recon
Ep. 9. Ab Aeterno

What can be gathered from this info is that Season 6 seems to be mirroring Season One to a tee.

"LA X" = "Pilot" (fun given the double meaning of the word "pilot")

"What Kate Does" = "Tabula Rasa" (a Kate centric ep. Also references the episode "What Kate Did")

"The Substitue" = "Walkabout" (A Locke centric episode. Locke = sub)

"Lighthouse" = "White Rabbit" (A Jack centric episode)

"Sundown" = "House of the Rising Sun (A Sun/Jin centric episode)

"Dr. Linus" = "The Moth (Ben subs for Charlie? Will Charlie be back?)

"Recon" = "Confience Man" ( A Sawyer centric episode)

"Ab Aeterno" = "Solitude" (Solitude was a Saide centric episode. "Ab Aeterno translates to essentially "From the beginning of time". I would venture that this would be a Saide centric episode, though the title, to my knowledge has no connection to him or the name of an episode that centered on him.)

35 Days!!!

"Ab Aeterno" = "Solitude" (Solitude was a Saide centric episode. "Ab Aeterno translates to essentially "From the beginning of time". I would venture that this would be a Saide centric episode, though the title, to my knowledge has no connection to him or the name of an episode that centered on him.)

35 Days!!!

Perhaps Jacob or Richard Alpert? That's the only thing I could think of that's been from the beginning of time on the island.

You guys want spoilers, just go here

https://www.spoilerfix.com/lost.php

This is pretty funny

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

What I think is going to happen is that the people on Aegea (sp?) Air are going to stay the way they are. The people in the past that blew up with Jughead, are going to be in a different future then the ones they remember

I'm almost caught up re-watching the series on Blu, and I think I caught on to something. All the times when we thought we saw Jacob, it was really Esau, or whatever his name is. I'm assuming he needs a dead body to insert his essence into, and all the dead people we've seen on the island, Ben's mom, Christian Shepard, Horace, they've all led Ben and Locke towards their ultimate path. Both Ben and Locke thought it was Jacob leading them to their destiny, but really it was Esau moving the pieces into place for him to claim his vengeance.

Yeah, it was The Man in Black imprisoned in the cabin and I figure it was Claire that broke the ash circle.

As far as 'Did the nuclear bomb prevent them from ever landing on The Island?'. You would think there are 2 options #1 it worked and they land in LA or #2 the bomb was meant to go off and resets the gang to the proper timeline. But I think there's actually an interesting 3rd option: while seemingly in opposition, both #1 and #2 happen and a "door" or sorts is opened allowing the 2 time lines to unite.

I recently read The Dark Tower series for the first time and wish I had done so sooner. I knew Damon Lindelof was inspired by Stephen King but I had no idea how close the elements and themes of Lost mirror those of The Dark Tower - through manipulation and time travel, a mystical immortal engaged in power struggle with a Man in Black draws a series of seemingly unrelated people together - including a heroin addict and wheelchair bound character turned warrior with a duel "good" & "bad" persona - on a quest of personal and epic discovery that threatens the very unraveling of existence.

Basically, actions happen then a character travels in time and prevents the person responsible from engaging in those actions from acting and it creates a paradox, like the Lost crew not doing the events we saw on the island. The characters continue on in their actions, but become increasingly aware of the previous timeline, seeing signs and clues of what they were supposed to be doing, becoming crazier and schizophrenic from the paradox of feeling the reality of both timelines until a "door" is opened between these timelines and once the group is reunited, the character's mental anguish ends; but inexplicably (at least until the notion of destiny's "course correction" becomes clear), the timeline that was canceled out and thus never happened becomes the one they remember as real.

I'm fairly certain Lost will end in the same cyclic, ouroboros manner and it will employ some form of the same novel solution King used for the grandfather time paradox in The Dark Tower. It's too interesting of a solution, lets the writers 'have their cake and eat it too' and gives them a whole season of the same narrative flashback/flashforward/time hopping device while showing new wrinkles and insights into the characters' off island lives that they thought they wanted.

EDIT: fun reading: https://www.professorbeej.com/2009/07/parallels-in-lost-and-stephen-kings.html

Last edited:
But I think there's actually an interesting 3rd option: while seemingly in opposition, both #1 and #2 happen and a "door" or sorts is opened allowing the 2 time lines to unite.

I am thinking something similar. The bomb does go off and they do end up landing in LA.....but all the events that took place in Season 1-5 did actually take place and all the characters remember every moment of it. But how that would work out if it is what happens....I'm not sure. Because it would only create more questions....."if everything did happen, but the plane lands in LA....then how did the plane blow up into pieces and crash on the island?", they need more seasons if they want to do something like that.

The title of the first episode definitely hints at something along these lines: "LA X", the space definitely has some significance....the 'LA' as in Los Angeles...then the space and the 'X' meaning "not really" or "not".

I do see the episode starting out with the plane landing in LA and then all the characters getting off and not even recognizing each other. A mind ???? that the writers will play on the audience, but we will then soon discover that, that does not ultimately happen.

One way or another, the events of Season 1-5 will not be erased from the time line.....that is true. But at the same time I don't think they will all be reset to their modern time line without a problem along the way.

Because it would only create more questions....."if everything did happen, but the plane lands in LA....then how did the plane blow up into pieces and crash on the island?"

In a word, Ka.

or in Lost speak, "course correction".

Ka differs from traditional thoughts on destiny because it is not “unalterable.” While ka might wish something to happen, it is not simply set to occur. If Roland (or anyone, for that matter) goes against what ka wishes to happen, then ka will alter how events play out until things go the way it wills, but there are no predetermined roles for people to play or how events will unfold.

From the essay linked above:
You see, the narrative arc in LOST must go from Point A to Point Z. There are a finite number of episodes in the series as determined by the execs at ABC and the creators. As of this writing, there are 18 more hours until Point Z airs and the series ends with either a bang or a whimper (or a “well, huh” like Battlestar Galactica did). Now, the Pilot episode is Point A. The series finale is Point Z. However, as the show progresses and the story evolves, there does not there have to exist a mere 24 points within the range of A to Z. And that’s where course correction comes in.

Since Charlie Pace’s death was integral to the narrative being completed as evidenced by the amount of course correction used to finally culminate it, then the event would exist as a static point in the series. For the sake of this example, let’s call it Point M. When Desmond prevented Charlie from dying to the electrical strike, Point M could no longer progress into Point N. The course correction, then, created a new narrative point that did not and could not have existed before: Point M1. The interesting part of this line of thought is that Point M1 cannot lead directly into Point N like the original plot would have. Events changed. And Desmond tried multiple times to prevent Charlie’s death, never allowing the narrative to reach Point N as was originally intended, so he repeatedly created various other Point M’s. Eventually, Point M4 (just as an example) was fulfilled and Charlie died. The narrative, however, still cannot go into Point N or even Point N1 because other “fated” events were changed, thus destroying the original narrative entirely.

Still following me? Okay.

So even though the original event never occurred, the intended outcome of the event eventually did—Charlie died. This led to even more course correction. Point M4 needed to get back on the original track because the fated outcome of the series is not the analogous Z4. It was simply Point Z. So Charlie’s death was not only impacted by the successive events, they were created by it, making the characters in LOST have experiences they were never intended to have, yet had to have in order to get linear time back on course. Point M4 would work toward getting back to Point Z through Point N4 then O3 then P2 and finally back to the original timeline of events with Point Q, but all of these corrected points diverge from the original timeline and exist only because fate and destiny on LOST are not unalterable.

The rescue, subsequent timejumps and seemingly safe arrival in LAX are just course corrections like Desmond trying to prevent Charlie's death. Point Z, I'm guessing resolves the age old conflict between Jacob and MiB but also sets into motion the chain of events that lead to Point A (as well as the Adam and Eve skeletons), looping the story back onto itself. Jack has continually tried to "fix" everything but he is beginning to learn, as Desmond did, that he cannot, and should not attempt the "fixes". One can alter the course of destiny but never the destination.

Last edited:
hmm Battlestar did this for their final season promo image... but way way waaaay better. These look tacky

Too bad BSG's conclusion was lackluster at best. I have a feeling Lost will fare better. It's interesting how they switched up Claire, Sun, Ben, Miles and Hurley in the 2 pics.

Did anyone else read the interview with one of the Lost where they were talking about what they are going to wrap up for the final season and they blantingly said that they really are only worried about wrapping up characters and not island mythologies.

Not sure how others feel but I could care less about 95% of the characters on this show.

Back