Long term storage maintenance.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigpig

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just checking my figures that’s been in the roof space for a while. (UK)

After treating them with 303 would you replace the silica gel desiccants? Or completely take them out?

303 aerospace on the rubber and pleather. Just seems a bit strange applying protection then added something to the box that’s designed to draw out moisture.

But then again moisture is probably the biggest threat to the material?

It’s a combination actually. Heat, sunlight, and too much or too little moisture. There are websites that discuss the ideal temps for storing collectables, and an attic (which generally isn’t given the same treatment as the rest of the home), is generally not the best choice. All of my stuff is in a finished basement/office that stays roughly the same cool temperature and humdity level all year round. I have hundreds of figures, some of them the TBLeague (made of TPE), and none of them have had any issues; I also have all the windows blacked out — it is literally a like a deep cave when the lights aren’t on. If all you can do is put in some of those silica packs, at least do that.

Cheers. Just treated the T2 T800 MMS117. Was is fantastic condition. his belt was the only item that looked like it needed little TLC.

My Roof pace is extremally well ventilated and the weather in N.Ireland is basically mild all year round lol.

The figures have been up there now for around 5-6 years. Blade and Cat-woman is up there also so that should be interesting

Cheers. Just treated the T2 T800 MMS117. Was is fantastic condition. his belt was the only item that looked like it needed little TLC.

My Roof pace is extremally well ventilated and the weather in N.Ireland is basically mild all year round lol.

The figures have been up there now for around 5-6 years. Blade and Cat-woman is up there also so that should be interesting
those tiny bags arent enough for the amount of space the box has. of the box is empty i would toss in a bigger bag but still most important is the environment humidity and temperature as these bags will be full very fast. use the wrong type and they become jelly gooe and wet (usually the flaky type) the solid clear ones arent as efficient but they stay solid and can be recharged. some bags have a pink marker indicator.

for aerospace it isnt just about keeping it moist. it acts as a barrier. but since you only apply it on the top, still wont stop humid from getting in via the underside. so environment control is more important.

i would say 25degC and 50% humidity would be ideal for most stuffs. too cold your humidity drops too much and rubber materials start to crack. too hot rubber and plastic starts to leech/sweat which is irreversible and increases humidity within the packaging allowing mold growths.

always assume mold spores are everywhere, in shops and factories.

so again environment control is upmost importance. dust/temp/humidity/pests.

paper materials are hardest to maintain that means your hot toys boxes are gonna be the first to deteriorate. the glues used near the spine will turn brown and develop spots. plastic trays will turn brittle. pleather and rubber materials are 2nd hardest to maintain as you cant prevent pleather from failing.

25 degrees would be one of the hottest days of the year over here :D very rarely would we see temps over 20 for a long period of time.

Inside probably floats around 17-18

Just give this guy the one over. Only really fault I could find with this one was his hair flap. Think I magnet has fallen off somewhere.

So far so good all figures I’ve checked have been in great condition.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Catwoman like new :)

The joys of living in N.Ireland crap weather all year around

Attachments

• IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Was nervous opening this guy up

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpeg
    IMG_0798.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0799.jpeg
    IMG_0799.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I have a few figures in the attic, MoS Superman, plastic Iron Man's (Men?) and it can easily get in the high 30s up there in the summer if not in the 40's these days. The living room is currently 19 degrees and 68% humidity so I dread to think what the attic is like. Gotta love the UK.

These figures were also on display for years before getting put into storage and this is the first time iv ever did any sort of maintenance apart from a light dusting.

I need to get these badboys on display again forgot how much I love them!!!

probably jinxed myself now and they are all going to fall apart!!!

Back