Storage of figures and boxes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegaglory1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m in the process of a major renovation/overhaul of my bedroom. I’ve had problems with ventilation and humidity. Subsequently, mould developed in some of my stuff, which I’ve spoke about in another thread.

My collectibles have been inspected and, where appropriate, have been sanitised by soaking in distilled white vinegar. Items that can’t be sanitised have been disposed of. I’ve culled a number of the boxes for my figures, only keeping about 8 of them. These have been sent to a restoration studio. They normally deal with cleaning and sanitising books and have agreed to help with my boxes.

Post renovation, I’ll be returning the boxes to my wardrobe/closet space.

How does everyone feel about keeping collectibles in a wardrobe? Ventilation and humidity were the biggest problems for me and I’m aware a wardrobe can act as a moisture trap. I’m taking steps to control the indoor climate including:

• Dehumidifier in the bedroom
  • DampRid in wardrobe (multiple pots)
  • One wardrobe door always open
  • Windows always open for ventilation
  • Door to en-suite bathroom always closed
  • Silica packets inside boxes
  • Figures kept in plastic containers
  • Regular monitoring with hygrometer

The wardrobe space will be used primarily for clothing and the toy boxes will be the only paper/card items allowed inside the wardrobe. The figures will be kept in plastic containers with desiccant.

Last edited:
Hi all, I’m in the process of a major renovation/overhaul of my bedroom. I’ve had problems with ventilation and humidity. Subsequently, mould developed in some of my stuff, which I’ve spoke about in another thread.

My collectibles have been inspected and, where appropriate, have been sanitised by soaking in distilled white vinegar. Items that can’t be sanitised have been disposed of. I’ve culled a number of the boxes for my figures, only keeping about 8 of them. These have been sent to a restoration studio. They normally deal with cleaning and sanitising books and have agreed to help with my boxes.

Post renovation, I’ll be returning the boxes to my wardrobe/closet space.

How does everyone feel about keeping collectibles in a wardrobe? Ventilation and humidity were the biggest problems for me and I’m aware a wardrobe can act as a moisture trap. I’m taking steps to control the indoor climate including:

• Dehumidifier in the bedroom
  • DampRid in wardrobe (multiple pots)
  • One wardrobe door always open
  • Windows always open for ventilation
  • Door to en-suite bathroom always closed
  • Silica packets inside boxes
  • Figures kept in plastic containers
  • Regular monitoring with hygrometer

The wardrobe space will be used primarily for clothing and the toy boxes will be the only paper/card items allowed inside the wardrobe. The figures will be kept in plastic containers with desiccant.
Sounds like you have done everything you can. If possible add a fan and keep air moving, always. I'm one of those people who run fans 24/7. Some small air purifiers also cause a breeze, you might try adding one of those too.

If by wardrobe you mean closet, sure, I bag up boxes in trash bags and put in closet, but the doors have cracks and I am always running fans. But my region has moderate humidity - it can get kind of bad at times but usually temporary. In basement closet stuff is up on shelves, not low to floor where it can get damp.

Sounds like you have done everything you can. If possible add a fan and keep air moving, always. I'm one of those people who run fans 24/7. Some small air purifiers also cause a breeze, you might try adding one of those too.

If by wardrobe you mean closet, sure, I bag up boxes in trash bags and put in closet, but the doors have cracks and I am always running fans. But my region has moderate humidity - it can get kind of bad at times but usually temporary. In basement closet stuff is up on shelves, not low to floor where it can get damp.
Ventilation is important as well. Luckily, we have PVC windows with built in vents so there should be at least some ventilation even if the windows aren’t open.

what is your environment humidity? if below 70% should be ok even with minimal ventilation.

I don't keep boxes/figures "as is" in a closet/wardrobe.

I keep them stored in a variety of plastic bins/storage containers sealed and wrapped in plastic if I know it's for long-term storage.

Good luck to you on your re-organization. It will not be easy and very time consuming. I post/say this based on hard first-hand experience.

Back