Legolas and Gimli maquettes delayed?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn! WTF Sideshow! :mad:

Damn near the only thing I allow myself to collect and you go bumping them all way back. Not cool. I was really looking forward to both Legolas and Gimli. This is a seriously slow, albeit very nice, line to collect. We went from a fear of more than one a quarter to only two released in the first year. And we will only have the third, and maybe fourth, TWO FULL YEARS AFTER THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE LINE.

And I don't often shout. ;)

I get the frustration regarding the delay, but, don't forget we will have Boromir and most likely Arwen before 2012 is over. Even better, we will have at least 1 and maybe 2 more on preorder from this stellar line.

Yeah, 2012 is now shaping to be chalked full of items with Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, Snow Troll, and Arwen. Not to mention any unannounced maquettes.

I also got my emails for these two being delayed, bummer as I was hoping to at least have Legolas to display next to my Aragorn. I'm sure the end result and wait will be worth it all.

I'm sure but waiting sucks. Especially after seeing them all in person just three weeks ago.

Are you sure that's not smoke you're smelling? :monkey3 Maybe you haven't figured this out, but LOTR is not the licence it once was. While none of the reg. editions of Legolas, Boromir, and Gimli are sold out yet [hardly something new or unexpected] the excl. editions are, with Legolas selling out in less than 24 hours! As for speculating SS is not happy with sales or the quality......really, what are you basing that on? :confused: First off, these maquettes are already the best representations of those characters ever produced. And secondly, unlike you, I have actually talked to SS rep's concerning the maquette line and they are very pleased at the response they have received so far.

What a great idea. :lol Let go back to the inferior likenesses and sub-par paint app's of the past. Let's go back to the cheap [both in cost and appearance], black, generic bases of the past with the creative and artistic appeal of cardboard. Let's go back to the ridiculously high, or even worse, open editions of the past. Let's go back to the part-time collectible company that produces about a dozen collectibles [across all lines!] per year.......now that is great thinking. :slap

So let's see if I have this straight. The company you want to take over the 1/6 scale statue line has:

1]. Released one statue [Gandalf] in their own 'character' line in two years....and they butchered the colour scheme.

2]. Released one minishield/lapel pin in last two+ years.

3]. Released zero John Howe middle-earth statues in almost two years.

4]. Released zero crowns/tiara's from a line they announced two and a half years ago

5]. Released five environments in just under two years.

And this from a company that only carries a handful of licences to begin with....does that about sum it up? :cuckoo:

Let's see smart guy, let's see if we respect everyone's opinion and you save a smiley.That every time he makes a criticism of your beloved Sideshow hits you a stomachache, a little calm.

I've never messed with the work of sculptors who are in Sideshow professionals that are huge, but if your company policy, but good if you want to see your problem.

And the height of high, is seen as critical statues that came to their day by Weta, jajajajaj that I labor, what to read, step answer for sure what I think .......

Mostly the pieces there are revalued in the market right now are Weta curiously, so little I am a defender of them, if I have to say what I think are wrong I tell them right now, because reserves as Rivendell and Orthanc through your page, was regrettable and desperante by falling on your server.

Last edited:
What's the point of a post like this? How do you get so angry over a simple comment and start attacking a quality company so venomously?

You said yourself, LOTR isn't the line it once was. At the moment. Have SS really released as many LOTR products this year than Weta? Not substantially.

Inferior likenesses - most of the statues were spot on. Aragron, Legolas and Eowyn are the only ones that spring to mind as could be better.

The bases - "The understated, elegant simplicity of the base design was specifically chosen and art directed by Richard Taylor, making the choice to stay away from a highly ornamental or elaborately themed base to evoke a more refined, classical sensibility".
Achieved in my opinion. If you have issues, take them up with Richard Taylor. Do you know for a fact they went that way because they're cheap? Personally i don't mouth off unless i know the facts.

Edition sizes were set by Sideshow. Conveniently over-looking that.

Seriously, you say you have nothing against Weta, own a few of their products, them come out with crap like this :slap

I always saw the recent past as being about, well, the recent history of licensing of these pieces. I mean its odd that we have two companies producing things in different scales and formats for the same line, which used to work together. I also don't think its fair to criticize old product against new product when trying to predict what the producer of the old product would do if they had the same opportunities. All sculpts of humans have gotten better through the years haven't they? This is like saying you wouldn't want Kenner (if it still existed) getting the license for new Star Wars toys (although they actually did) because the ones from the 70s were stiff and poorly articulated. That's progress. For the day I think most of Weta's offerings were awesome and some have yet to be topped. Yet. Small company issues are annoying though - lack of product, delays, and QC issues (which I think Weta handled much better than a larger company like SS would have). "Prototype subject to approval" means we have a license to screw you, suck it up.

Ironically, Weta's lack of product must reflect their being busy with making all the real props for the Hobbit that SS will then come along and copy for their inevitable Hobbit statue line.

Sometimes I hope SS makes 8 of 9 of the Fellowship only, just to hear woodsy spin it :) I can just hear it now. "Eh, Merry and Pippin are kind of the same thing aren't they" ;)

Totally agree with these two contributions.

I see words, but I cannot understand them...

But I will say this: perhaps a reasonable timeline on delivery for items with a NRD would be helpful and ethical. SS should not take thousands in deposits and sit on the money with no guarantees on shipping time frame.

But I will say this: perhaps a reasonable timeline on delivery for items with a NRD would be helpful and ethical. SS should not take thousands in deposits and sit on the money with no guarantees on shipping time frame.

:goodpost: Gotta agree with this, the NRD needs a little fine-tuning.

:goodpost: Gotta agree with this, the NRD needs a little fine-tuning.

Maybe they take the NRD and invest them in SPY futures, hence the delay coincidentally in the same week the market tanked ;)

If you think this is bad though there is a Star Wars collectible book that people put a deposit down on 3 years ago I think. Still no sign of it.

Let's see smart guy, let's see if we respect everyone's opinion and you save a smiley.That every time he makes a criticism of your beloved Sideshow hits you a stomachache, a little calm.

I've never messed with the work of sculptors who are in Sideshow professionals that are huge, but if your company policy, but good if you want to see your problem.

And the height of high, is seen as critical statues that came to their day by Weta, jajajajaj that I labor, what to read, step answer for sure what I think .......

Mostly the pieces there are revalued in the market right now are Weta curiously, so little I am a defender of them, if I have to say what I think are wrong I tell them right now, because reserves as Rivendell and Orthanc through your page, was regrettable and desperante by falling on your server.

I'm only going to respond to the section highlighted since I don't have a clue what you're talking about in the remainder of your post :confused:

I couldn't care less if someone criticizes SS, I've done enough of that myself over the years. But unlike you, I'm not going to criticize them for a lack of production when they've released the 1st five maquettes in just over a year. And even if I was going to criticize them for a lack of production, I think it safe to say Weta is the last example I'd use as a company that's going to produce 1/6 scale statues at a faster rate.

And unlike you, I deal in reality and used real facts to back up my statement. Eight polystone products released [including Gollum, which I still don't even know which line it fits into] in 2+ years, across 5 separate product lines......that's less than 1 product/line/year! Those are the FACTS. And this is the example of a company that you think would do a better job than SS when it comes to producing 1/6 scale statues. :cuckoo:

As for the reason that SS has chosen to push back the shipping dates of Legolas and Gimli I don't know. I don't have your ability to look at a SDCC maquette group shot and conclude that SS is not happy with sales or want's to improve them. I don't speak to statues and they don't talk to me....:cuckoo: But I do know from talking directly to SS they are very happy with LOTR collector response to the maquette line....again, that is FACT, not some whacked out speculation.

Now if contrary to all the evidence at hand you think Weta would produce these statues faster, and do a better job while doing so....knock yourself out. But here's another fact for you, 6 maquettes in and SS has vastly improved upon every Weta counterpart so far. Plain and simple....SS's sculptors are better, and if that's not completely evident to you now, it never will be.

I hate say it, but a part of me actually hopes Weta gets the 1/6 scale licence to produce Hobbit statues. I don't think they will, but if they do all those with blinders on will, if nothing else, run out of lame excuses. Today's collector is alot more sophisticated than those of 5-10 years ago and if you think collectors are going to put up with mid-quality 1/6 scale LOTR collectibles this time around you are sadly mistaken. :nono

Let's see woodsy

I respect your opinion but do not agree with several points.

Sideshow I criticize because I've seen several things in the subject matter of the lord of the rings that I did not like, has stopped production of the line Dioramas, has stopped production of the line of busts Legendary incomplete leaving the community, have charged two installments of Legolas maquette Flex Pay and the last term delayed 4 months, dissociated themselves with an international edition of Gollum PF without having first informed of this issue when performing domestic Preorder, I also see that often recur in characters who have seen the light several times and yet some of the characters desired by many collectors do not even see the light, as Eomer, Faramir, hobbits, Mouth of Sauron to put several examples, but it seems that the new line will see the light but not see him until I do not think so. "

The PF line long enough we see some of the longing I have quoted rather than supporting characters.

Also sometimes Sideshow not offer the same quality shown in their prototypes, for example get some PF Moria Orc in the subject of fabrics, Legolas PF and the feeling of squint in his eyes, poor Frodo facial modeling PF
I find that should take care of quality control by the end of that piece, because it is a shame that a piece that has an extraordinary modeling buries a poorly painted, lately I have dreaded that I get a piece on the issue of cross-eyed painting. I find that if the criticism is constructive in the end we all benefit, they as a company and we receive the best possible finish in a figure.

Maquette of the line I can not speak because so far I have only received Aragorn maquette, but when you are getting the pieces will give my verdict, the prototypes look great but then there is to see how they finish in series, especially the issue of painting.

I'm not complaining just for Sideshow production maquette line but several things I mentioned above, and we do not comment on the business that has been for the European buyer who have closed the store in Europe.

And I tell you one thing the production on the theme of Lord of the Rings in recent years was rather low in Sideshow until maquette announced the new line.
And I discussed my opinion, but enough to show that almost all the maquettes announced no for now exhausted and many still Preorder option.

It seems that very soon we have forgotten what he has done for collectors Weta Lord of the Rings, there are real wonders of pieces by these people.

I still think that competition is good, and occasionally I see Sideshow very comfortable, and we have no collectors to accept, because there is more to choose from, and would love to Weta was responsible for carrying the statues of Hobbit.

And sorry if my English is not very good and I will state clearly that you understand me and thank you very much for answering with such courtesy and respect.

Last edited:

Be thankful you don't collect 3A figures. Those collectors fully pay for them on preorder day and they typically take 6-8 months before the figures ship. Some of those guys probably have thousands in outstanding purchases. :panic:

Be thankful you don't collect 3A figures. Those collectors fully pay for them on preorder day and they typically take 6-8 months before the figures ship. Some of those guys probably have thousands in outstanding purchases. :panic:

3A collector??

Back