Lego The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Ot: Lotr lego coming

Only interested in the Lego Fellowship minifigures. Looks like I'm going to have to buy the Mines of Moria, Weathertop and Gandalf arrives set to do this (though maybe the Shelob's lair set if I want Sam if that's Merry in the Weathertop set and Pippin with Moria). Makes me wish Art Asylum made a Gandalf the Grey minimate instead of Gandalf the white.

I can't believe that noone has pointed out that we may actually FINALLY get the entire Fellowship in one format. :lol

What about Toy Biz and Minimates?

Some of the recent Kingdoms sets are beyond awesome if you are into the fantasy genre. If you've never seen these check em out. Unlike many of the Castle themes Kingdoms is very understated and classic in appearance.

Also, the sets appear to be much more complex than we are seeing with the LOTR prelim pics which so far look like vehicles for minifig distribution. Maybe I know too much Lego but Shelob is an Aragog re-hash (totally expected I suppose) and Gandalf's arrival is straight Kingdoms theme in appearance.

Last edited:

I can't believe that noone has pointed out that we may actually FINALLY get the entire Fellowship in one format. :lol

Hey! There is a complete fellowship in minimate form and toybiz. :balrog

But yest Sideshow needs to take notice of the Legos!

I was totally underwhelmed by the leaked images on the packaging. I was hoping for something more along the lines of their architectural line but this looks really kiddie level. I really lost my enthusiasm for what this could be.

I was totally underwhelmed by the leaked images on the packaging. I was hoping for something more along the lines of their architectural line but this looks really kiddie level. I really lost my enthusiasm for what this could be.

Absolutely, this is what my comment about minifigs was referring to. Take Arrival of Gandalf, its a basic fantasy themed horse drawn cart with a blue magician. We have seen a horse drawn cart before and we have seen many magicians before so this is just labeling really. The release really feels 10 years too late. Hopefully they up the ante with Hobbit sets. Somehow I suspect no matter what Smaug looks like we will get a Hungarian Horntail/Ninjago dragon type of hybrid there.

I love the idea of the sets, and some of the elements are really nice (the Cave Troll and the Mines of Moria set looks great) but I shared similar dissapointment in the Gandalf set. It looks very generic, and doesn't scream Lord of the Rings or Hobbit. I was hoping that this set came with a bit of the front of Bag End when I read the title. I also knew that Shelob would be re-used Aragog from the Harry Potter sets, so I was hoping for more of the cave and webbing...

Weathertop looks neat, and I love the nazgul included. Helms deep could use a little more detail to really sell the design. I love the overall idea and some of the designs, but some elements seemed somewhat lacking in places.

I love the idea of the sets, and some of the elements are really nice (the Cave Troll and the Mines of Moria set looks great) but I shared similar dissapointment in the Gandalf set. It looks very generic, and doesn't scream Lord of the Rings or Hobbit. I was hoping that this set came with a bit of the front of Bag End when I read the title. I also knew that Shelob would be re-used Aragog from the Harry Potter sets, so I was hoping for more of the cave and webbing...

Weathertop looks neat, and I love the nazgul included. Helms deep could use a little more detail to really sell the design. I love the overall idea and some of the designs, but some elements seemed somewhat lacking in places.

Well not meaning to harp, but these wraiths are not much different than the customs that have been for sale for awhile now. It all just feels like missing the boat. Of course I will buy them, at a steep discount next Xmas.

Guys, these are PRELIMINARY designs. This is part of the Lego process, not meant for public consumption. They will look drastically different when they hit retail. Trust me.

Deak, even if they don't look radically different, I will be in for the sets!

I loved Lego as a kid, and got back into it somewhat with Star Wars, but passed all of those along to my nephews. I have been intrigued by some of the new sets for Harry Potter or Batman, but have held back. Lord of the Rings and Lego is a perfect match.

I just hope to see a little more of the detail in Helm's Deep, and a little more of a display or background elements for some of the other sets. Lord of the Rings has such a rich look to the various locales, I would hate to see anything lackluster in the Lego offerings!

I hear ya', trust me look at the LEGO aisle next time you're in the store. The POTC sets are top notch when it comes to detail. I am pumped, I am a bit of a LEGO nut. AND, the cool thing is Lego is modular...want a bigger Helm's Deep...you can make that happen. Just add more bricks. :lol

Agreed on better detail/quality. I just purchased the POTC Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge. They are awesome. I'll on full board for the LOTR stuff when it's released.

Wow, I had no idea Scotty 2 Hotty. Also Lego MIGHT be able to release mini-figure sets of Uruk-Hai and the like. POTC & Prince of Persia included mini-figure 5 packs only available at the Lego stores both brick and mortar and online.

They did offer sets way back in the day with mail order, as I remember getting a set of random knights as a kid, but extra Uruks, Elves, Gondorian and Rohan soldiers would be great. It seems like with any of the toy lines, I end up having to get 9 of the nazgul too...

I know they will be more detailed in the store, so I am not worried about what I have seen, just some of the prelims are a touch generic and will be bumped up for sure by the time of release. The cave troll isn't even painted on the box in the video!

I saw them at Target and was like "hmmm.". The John Layman of "Chew" posted pics of Black Pearl on FB and I had to have. Will build very soon. Black Pearl is sold out lots of places.

The trick is trying to find them on sale and I didn't want to have to pay eBay prices. Some of these sets appreciate just as much as HT do once they are discontinued. .

Also, TRU sux. They mark up their sets $20 above retail.

Black pearl at Target is $99.99, saw it on sale once for $79.99 once.
At TRU it goes for $119.99 normally, never on sale.

WTF?

Yeah, I stay clear from TRUs. And I got lucky and picked up the Black Pearl for $79.99 from the Costco. If you're ever looking for LEGO deals, I keep a look out Scott. I'll text you brosive.

Lego store prices are pretty good too. You can join their little club and get discounts and such. I wish I could find a good price on the Death Star, but that monster is $400.

Back