Judge sides with PJ - fines NL

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as many of you know I work in a position that gives me very unique insight into matters such as these. Let me say up front that I have no inside knowledge of this specific case... nor would I share if I did.

However, studios have an amazing ability to obfuscate. I have seen documents that would boggle your mind. (i.e. specific breakdowns of studios "losing" money on massive hits). It's unreal. They can "cook the books" with the best of them.

It is nice to see this judge trying to exercise his judicial muscle with this ruling. However, the fine he imposed - while I'm sure was set by firm guidelines - is a joke to New Line. It's like fining you $5. But he has established a tone that he's not going to accept their half-hearted shananagins.

Don't believe for one second that New Line doesn't know how many dollars came in and where they all are and/or went. Studios can count beans with the best of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This money- $125K - is going to pay for Jacksons legal fees in trying to find out the truth about New Lines books. I think this is a perfect arrangement. Jackson sues NL and pays for his attorneys with money awarded to him by New Line. There is a very sweet sort of justice to that.

Lets hope that in the end they both realize they can make much more together than apart. I still say that a Jackson HOBBIT is a billion dollar venture.

Like the actors I would say out of respect they probably would not do it unless PJ was running the show.

Actually, I thought I had read (on TheOneRing.net maybe?) a quote from Richard Taylor, not long after Bob Shaye stated that Jackson will not be involved in any film for New Line , saying that that the conflict between the two did not exclude Weta from working on a New Line Hobbit film and that Jackson wouldn't bar the company from doing so.

Actually, I thought I had read (on TheOneRing.net maybe?) a quote from Richard Taylor, not long after Bob Shaye stated that Jackson will not be involved in any film for New Line , saying that that the conflict between the two did not exclude Weta from working on a New Line Hobbit film and that Jackson wouldn't bar the company from doing so.

I would more than anything like to see PJ, Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Hugo Weaving, Liv Tyler and other reprising the sucsess of LOTR with The Hobbit, with Weta doing the effects

BUT, the next best thing would be to get Weta, the actors, Philippa Boyens as writer, Howard Shore doing the music AND a new suitible director. After all, the Hobbit got a different feel than LOTR and it's more important that we get the same world than a LOTR4.

But in the case of PJ vs NL:
GO PJ :ring

I guess I was wrong.:monkey1

Love when the actual performers take a stand.

Blanchett Game For ‘Hobbit,’ But Only With Jackson

Published by Shawn Adler on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The choice is a clear one: take the One Ring and become a terrible queen of light, or refuse its power and diminish. For Galadriel, the Elven Lady of Lorien, the temptation is resisted and the ring denied. But not for the woman who played her. During a recent interview, a smiling Cate Blanchett insisted she would love to once again grab hold of some “Ring” mojo, and step again into Galadriel’s pointy shoes for a “Hobbit” film.

“I haven’t heard a thing [about a potential ‘Hobbit’ film],” she declared. “But, oh God, I would love to work with Hugo [Weaving] and Peter [Jackson] again.”

Blanchett is the latest “Lord of the Rings” actor to tell MTV that she’d consider playing her character again for a prequel series. Like Viggo Mortensen or Orlando Bloom, Blanchett’s character doesn’t exactly appear in “The Hobbit,” although thanks to J.R.R. Tolkien’s extensive later backstories, her insertion would be completely unproblematic. In fact, it’s hard to envision a “Hobbit” film WITHOUT Galadriel, particularly if the film covers any of the period between the defeat of Smaug and the War of the Ring.

But take notice New Line: Blanchett is interested, provided Peter Jackson is back to direct.

“I heard that someone was going to make it,” she said. “[But] It would seem very odd [without Jackson.]”

With Jackson set to direct “The Lovely Bones,” for now Blanchett says, she’s “moved on.”

“I left the elf shoes behind and the ears on the mantelpiece,” she laughed.

Well as many of you know I work in a position that gives me very unique insight into matters such as these. Let me say up front that I have no inside knowledge of this specific case... nor would I share if I did.

So you have no knowledge concerning this situation, and even if you did, you wouldn't share it ....well that's all very enlightening :rolleyes: and the point of even mentioning this would be.............:confused:

There's an interesting comment at The Hobbit Movie website...if this comment is indeed true I am now very, very excited.

If PJ is going to be involved in makes sense to have Weta working on pre-production during the filming of The Lovely Bones.

https://derhobbit-film.de/indexengl.shtml

A most interesting development --- if true and I dearly hope it is. When that judge ruled against NL and said they had a few weeks to get their house in order, perhaps both sides took it as a sign to get their collective acts together. Maybe we will get an announcement within the next two weeks.

Something interesting has happened. The article I posted the link to is now gone. I'm thinking New Line has asked the website to remove the comment due to them wanting to hide the truth of that information. I would think if the rumor was debunked The Hobbit website would just update the article with information discrediting the source. I bet New Line wants to make a formal announcement (if there is one) rather than people finding out through fan run websites. The Hobbit signifies one of the biggest film projects besides LOTR and wants it done right....This is all speculation and hope on my end of coarse :D

Kookie could be correct ... or ... the website has egg on their face for being scammed and just wanted to sweep it all under the rug with as little attention as possible. Time will tell.

Lots of rumors and speculation right now. A poster over at theonering.net named Razorback - posted something today saying that the suit will be announced as settled sometime in October and in December there will be plans announced for the movie complete with a Jackson website like he did with KONG.

Time will tell.

...A poster over at theonering.net named Razorback - posted something today saying that the suit will be announced as settled sometime in October and in December there will be plans announced for the movie complete with a Jackson website like he did with KONG.

Time will tell.

I hope thats true. I would be truly excited. Maybe the LOTR lines at SS would start to pick up. :cool:

Kookie could be correct ... or ... the website has egg on their face for being scammed and just wanted to sweep it all under the rug with as little attention as possible. Time will tell.

Lots of rumors and speculation right now. A poster over at theonering.net named Razorback - posted something today saying that the suit will be announced as settled sometime in October and in December there will be plans announced for the movie complete with a Jackson website like he did with KONG.

Time will tell.

He's still got "The lovely bones" to finish (not even sure its started yet to be honest!) so I doubt the Hobbit would happen any time soon

turns out that post on another site I mentioned today was a scam --- sorry -- some people are just jerks.

Back