James Gunn Fired as Director of 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3'

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully they replace him with Taika Waititi.
Vol.3 will still have a chance at being a good movie.
giphy.gif

Didnt think he was a good fit for Thor but would be perfect for Guardians.

Aside from the visual designs, none of Ragnarok's merits had anything to do with Waitti and his awful one-liners. If he directs GotG3, I'm not paying to see it.

While I don't particularly find what he said funny, Id also be lying if I said that no one does. As long as he didn't actually do anything, I don't get what the big deal is. :dunno

Just such a shame that these days, making a crass joke almost a decade ago that doesn't conform to the dogmatic social climate is enough to ruin your life within a day.

While I don't particularly find what he said funny, Id also be lying if I said that no one does. As long as he didn't actually do anything, I don't get what the big deal is. :dunno

Just such a shame that these days, making a crass joke almost a decade ago that doesn't conform to the dogmatic social climate is enough to ruin your life within a day.

Agreed. But there is a lot of tribalism out there, and people want their 'team to win.' Gunn has always had a twisted sense of humor, but that can leave to great creative ventures. Slither led to GOTG. Peter Jackson had the most twisted movie of all time Dead Alive, and he eventually brought the LOTR to cinema.

At the end of the day, its tweets. It is not your words that define you, but your actions.

But its the climate nowadays. Some kind of cross between right-wing puritanism and left-wing mob justice I suppose.

He publicly apologized for these Tweets in 2012, near the first Guardians. This is oooold news. Only Trump deplorables feel he should be fired.

New apology:

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.

Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

If I was even a little bit famous or even trying to be famous I would stay away from social media like the plague... Sure use it to post about your new movie or album etc... but you would have to be a moron to use it for personal stuff.... it's always going to come back and bite you in the ass....

The Jokes were stupid and lame even back in 2012... extremely inappropriate .. And makes you wonder who this guy really is... at the same time if he's grown up and has become a better person since then, I'm not sure it's a great precedent to set that what you say as a stupid young person can destroy your career 10+ years later... That means anything anyone says a long time ago is now free game to use against them now to try and destroy their career...

If I was even a little bit famous or even trying to be famous I would stay away from social media like the plague... Sure use it to post about your new movie or album etc... but you would have to be a moron to use it for personal stuff.... it's always going to come back and bite you in the ass....

The Jokes were stupid and lame even back in 2012... extremely inappropriate .. And makes you wonder who this guy really is... at the same time if he's grown up and has become a better person since then, I'm not sure it's a great precedent to set that what you say as a stupid young person can destroy your career 10+ years later... That means anything anyone says a long time ago is now free game to use against them now to try and destroy their career...

Note Gunn apologized for his social media humor in 2012. He and Disney agreed it was not in both of their best interests to keep it up (he had a humor blog that was quite crude that he gave up on.) But this story basically gets dredged up again, and Disney fires him for his comments.

It just goes to show you what might have seen as somewhat crude in 2012, can be fire-able 6 years later depending on the way the winds are blowing. He kept his end of the bargain, since all this stuff is dated 2009-2012 and he clearly kept his experimental humor away from social media pretty much.

Blaming it on Trump people seems awfully shortsighted. It's the left that usually has a hissy fit about anything even remotely less than squeky clean in your online footprint going back decades.

This is a win for the Mouse. They show once again for no star or director to get too big for their britches cause they can and will be replaced and Guardians 3 is still gonna break 500 million in the US alone.

He publicly apologized for these Tweets in 2012, near the first Guardians. This is oooold news. Only Trump deplorables feel he should be fired.

I'm a Trump supporter (more apologist) and don't think he should be fired.....

Crap like this seems more of the left's game these days.

It's funny watching liberals showing outrage against conservatives on this one. I'm conservative and while I think Gunn's 10 year old tweets do make him a total loser (or at least he was back then) I definitely don't think he should have been fired for something offensive he said or did that wasn't an actual crime. Nor do I think that Mel Gibson should have been blacklisted for a decade after his drunkenly belligerent rant but there you go.

Now do I feel "sorry" for Gunn that he got fired? Not particularly. If liberals want to live by the sword (firing/silencing anyone/anything they find offensive) then they should be prepared to die by the sword as well. I still think that from here on out people should focus on crimes committed in the here and now, not mere "offenses" committed in the past.

Now do I feel "sorry" for Gunn that he got fired? Not particularly. If liberals want to live by the sword (firing/silencing anyone/anything they find offensive) then they should be prepared to die by the sword as well. I still think that from here on out people should focus on crimes committed in the here and now, not mere "offenses" committed in the past.

I just don't see Liberals or Conservatives as some sort of collective, where hurting one person on "their side" is a point against the whole group and a win for the other team.
Stuff like that gets dangerous fast as it can justify pretty much any action towards an innocent person that just happens to share some similar characteristic as your enemy as some sort of justice through vengeance. I just see a bunch of individuals whose lives are ruined over nothing.

Really just bums me out that everything we do is up for scrutiny and we are constantly on trial for it.

Last edited:

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Um good luck with that lol

I mean what do you think being famous is all about if not massive social exposure![/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]If anything it’s in their contracts to be fully engaged in social media to promote their work![/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Their agencies highly encourage that practice![/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]So how about this. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Instead of ignoring social media (which they can’t anyways) how about NOT being a filthy animal of a human being and NOT vomiting out your disgusting illegal child sex urges and fantasies to millions of people, that simple. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Millions of talent from all walks of life like actors, directors, writers, producers, cinematographers, stunt people, effects, musicians, athletes, models, journalists, corporate staff ALL are engaged in a successful professional lifestyle on their social media platform without the need to call it quits. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Hopefully they replace him with Taika Waititi.
Vol.3 will still have a chance at being a good movie.

Exactly. I loved Thor Ragnarok and the humor. He would fit perfect with Guardians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny watching liberals showing outrage against conservatives on this one. I'm conservative and while I think Gunn's 10 year old tweets do make him a total loser (or at least he was back then) I definitely don't think he should have been fired for something offensive he said or did that wasn't an actual crime. Nor do I think that Mel Gibson should have been blacklisted for a decade after his drunkenly belligerent rant but there you go.

Again, my problem with this is that it’s a politically fueled hit piece by a bunch of apologists who excuse the atrocious things Trump says about women and defend child molesters like Roy Moore. These guys want to lecture us about the ridiculous jokes a filmmaker made 10 years ago, then, they need to hold the people on both sides of the aisle to the same standards. Whatever you want to say about Gunn, he owned what he said and he took the hit and apologized.

At any point in time, ask yourself, has our president done the same? Did he apologize for making fun of a reporter with cerebral palsy? Did he apologize for the “whole grab them by the *****” thing and how he admitted to using his power to leverage women into having sex with him? I won’t dispute whether or not what Gunn said was wrong or whether it warranted this response, but what I will continue to dispute is the unwavering hypocrisy of the right and how they continue to cheer and virtue signal at every pinko commie Hollywood liberal who falls to Me, Too, allthewhile, rubbing shoulders and hobknobing with child ****ers and sexual assaulters.

Back