Jack the Ripper?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was probably about Francis Tumblty. An eccentric American doctor (though not actually qualified as such) who, after he returned to America and even when he visited Africa, the Ripper crimes seemed to follow him. He's one of the top suspects in the case. He was completely off his rocker nuts.

It's actually the piece that knewby was talking about. A cold case detective investigates the New York murders which inturn takes him to Jack the Ripper. The three top suspects were Klosowski, Kelly, and Tumblety. Klosowski was ruled out because he posioned his victims and his victims weren't strangers. Tumblety was ruled out because he was rather odd. He was very tall for the time and he also had an outlandish moustache both of these two things would make him stand out and not blend in as the Ripper mostlikely did. Kelly was his choice.
He was a nut. He disappeared for around forty years after escaping an asylum. He was in London during the time of the Whitechapel killings and he was in New York during those murders as well. He worked in upholstery which requires sharp knives, strong hands, and skill with knives. When in the states he placed himself in another asylum. Where he wrote about his whereabouts during those lost forty years. There were other things that connected him to the killings, but I can't remember them right now.

It's actually the piece that knewby was talking about. A cold case detective investigates the New York murders which inturn takes him to Jack the Ripper. The three top suspects were Klosowski, Kelly, and Tumblety. Klosowski was ruled out because he posioned his victims and his victims weren't strangers. Tumblety was ruled out because he was rather odd. He was very tall for the time and he also had an outlandish moustache both of these two things would make him stand out and not blend in as the Ripper mostlikely did. Kelly was his choice.
He was a nut. He disappeared for around forty years after escaping an asylum. He was in London during the time of the Whitechapel killings and he was in New York during those murders as well. He worked in upholstery which requires sharp knives, strong hands, and skill with knives. When in the states he placed himself in another asylum. Where he wrote about his whereabouts during those lost forty years. There were other things that connected him to the killings, but I can't remember them right now.

Like moving to Argentina, after his stay in America, where similar Ripper murders also then occurred. All evidence addressed in Cornwell's book. ;)

Mezco has produced two Jack the Rippers. One in typical Mezco caricature form (he was actually two figures, one regular and one variant, different hats and facial expressions), and one is a Living Dead Doll.

As for typical action figure McFarlane had a Jack the Ripper in their "6 Faces of Madness" line.

Here's a photo of my Jack collection minus my books, you can see all three figures here:
JackShrine.jpg

No 1:6 scale that I know of, and I doubt they will ever create one as Voorhees has pointed out, Jack's a bit of a morbid character. I'm a true freak for being a Ripperphile.

that's freaking sweet man.

Hi all

I do have an opinion on this, and I will voice it later this evening, just thought I'd pop on now, and mention that the excellent programme on the Science Channel a couple of weeks ago was called "Jack The Ripper: New Evidence", and I recommend it highly to any amateur Ripperologist. Excellent, and thought-provoking theory. :D

Now, to my opinions and thoughts regarding this thread. I know you're all *dying* to hear them, :rotfl

At any rate, some personal info first. I first became interested in Jack the Ripper when I was around 6. Yes, I was a morbid kid. :) The thing that interested me at the time, and continues to do so the most, is the mystery. Yes, we'll probably never know who committed these crimes, but it's the mystery that first draws us in. That we learn, by extension, about the horrible conditions in Victorian times is a bonus. That we learn how hard things were for poor women, (and really, how little that has changed,) is a bonus. But you do come to know about, and care about, Catherine Eddowes, Liz Stride, Polly Nichols, Annie Chapman, and Mary Kelly. You learn about their lives, and the conditions they lived in. It takes away all the 'romantic' veneer of that time, and that place.

Having said that, almost since the crimes actually took place, there's been far more ficticious about Jack The Ripper than there has been fact. This figure has become a pop culture icon, a figure that's much more fantasy than reality in the vast majority of peoples' eyes. Yes, there was this real case, but when you have the evil spirit that made the Ripper and others trying to take over Scotty in Star Trek in the 60's, then you're a figure more of myth than of reality.

People use the Ripper as allegory all the time, as in the excellent graphic novel and film, 'From Hell', where the aim was not to be historically accurate, etc, but to use this figure to point out flaws in society, in humanity, and in that time and place. Or the awesome 'Time After Time', which pitted David Warner's Ripper against Malcolm McDowell's H. G. Wells, using the Ripper in that film to reflect how violent our society has become. I'm betting that, given my experience, there's as many, if not more, fictional accounts of Jack The Ripper vs. Sherlock Holmes than there are of Holmes vs. Dracula. I'm betting that there's more fiction about Jack The Ripper than there is fiction about almost any other historical figure.

This mysterious figure has become a modern boogeyman. A boogeyman we think of as a well-dressed, almost certainly wealthy man in a black Victorian suit of some sort, with a top hat and large billowing cape. This popular vision is pure conjecture and fiction. We can make educated guesses about what Jack may have looked like, but we really haven't a clue, and probably never will, and it's not important. When people see that visual image, they connect it to this modern boogeyman, and to the fiction surrounding it. That it's 'true' just makes it more of a draw, but in fact, most of what is in popular culture about Jack is about as 'based on reality' as Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Psycho were based on their actual inspiration of Ed Gein, which is to say, not very rooted in fact at all.

Therefore, I submit that a figure based on this romantic (definitions: without a basis in fact; fanciful, fictitious, or fabulous, not practical; visionary or quixotic) notion of Jack The Ripper is no more offensive than figures based on Norman Bates, Leatherface, or Dracula. The popular image of The Ripper is so far removed from fact, that it has very little to do with the actual case at this point. It's exactly because we don't, and probably never will, know for certain who this murderer was, that he lends himself so well to ficticious retellings of the story, and to becoming the pop culture icon he has, in fact, become.

Back