Jack Nicholson Joker Hat Tutorial

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksparrow900

Freaked Out
Reaction score
When Hot Toys released their DX Joker Figure one thing that bothered alot of people was the fact that the hat brim was not wide enough. I decieded that it was time to tackle this and share it with those who would want to achieve a better looking hat.

The things you will need are Elmer's Glue, container of water,scissors or xacto knife either one will work and a steamer.

So I did a trial and error with a mockup to see if it will hold up and use Caution because you might end up ruining the original hat that came with the figure.

I tested the mock up on his head to see what direction I was heading in.

What you want to use is a piece of felt I used craft felt that's 2mm thick it's perfect for this scale.

Just eye what you want to cut since it doesn't matter right now

Use the steamer like you would to shape a hat but make sure you remove the ribbon from the hat and place the piece of felt on top of the hat and begin to push the felt around the original hat working it and pressing and stretching the felt. The felt will bunch up as you press down on the felt. This step is really important that you work on it you want to get as close to the original. If you feel you've worked enough to achieve the shape if you see any of the felt close to where you will be making you cut in the end take a rubber mallet and lightly bang the felt to smooth out those wrinkles. I DON'T RECOMMEND USING AND IRON IT DISTORT THE PLASTIC IN THE ORIGINAL HAT. Now just let it sit and dry.

more to come

Interesting. Veeerry interesting. Looking forward to seeing the final product. I used that felt years ago, long before HT's Joker came out, to make about 25 hats for those bootleg Jack Jokers that were being sold but I didn't use a process anywhere close to what you're doing so I can't wait to see it.

What helps is having the hat that already fits on his head and use that as a hat block so you can get a perfect fit.

Part 2 so after it dries it's not going to be hard enough to keep the shape. So we have to stiffen the felt I used these steps 403 Forbidden but I did not soak the entire piece just the where the hat imprint. You should still have the original hat underneath don't remove it just yet. I then used a foam brush and brushed on the mixture and used the mallet to keep the felt flat. While I let it dry I used my fingers and pressed as hard as I could around the hat hat make sure it doesn't flare out. I let that sit so it can dry and keep that shape so when I take the original hat out it won't distort the felt. The hat doesn't come out until after the ribbon and bow are attach. You can use a rolling pin to to squeeze out some of the excess water and flatten the wrinkles out at the same time. It's also a good time to take a pencil and use the eraser end and push the felt all around the hat getting it as close as possible to the shape of the original hat. The water and glue will hold the felt together so none of it will shed.

Your felt should be this stiff before you know it's ready to attach the ribbon

Now you can detail the top by using a dull thin piece of metal and work around the indent.

More coming

Part 3 once the felt has completely dried if you feel it might not be stiffen enough you can redo the second step. If you feel it's stiff enough it's time to add the ribbon use the above picture as reference where the bow should line up with. You can place it on his head and make a mark where the knot for the bow will sit. The mark will be covered up by the bow so it won't show once you attach it. I used these directions to make a new hat ribbon RibbonReplacement Instead of using thread to attach you can use craft glue which will secure it.

More coming soon

This is where you have to eye the height of the ribbon.

If ribbon looks like this then you can continue to attach it to the hat craft glue works for this.

Once you attach the ribbon and bow now the final step making a wider brim now the one thing that's wrong with the hot toys brim is it's the wrong shape to get that wide brom look you have to do a circle shape I recommend using a compass and use a sheet of paper an test different size circles once you find one that looks the right size take your xacto knife and cut the outline of the circle and place around the the hat and use a sharpie and draw your line the felt should be extremely stiff at this point make your cut and vola you have an accurate Joker hat that will stay in shape and won't shed. Final pictures will be posted soon

Another thing you can do is take your cut out circle and place it on his head it will give you an idea if the circle should be smaller or bigger.

This should be the perfect size for the brim

Sorry I haven't posted pics of the final hat I wanted to make sure that the hat wouldn't move around while on his head so I just sewed a lining and sweatband into the hat.

Great job and thank you sharing this :) You are the true custom maker! I hope freaks here supporting each other is the best thing to do especially when somebody share their knowledge to build or do something.

Thank You. So now that I feel the shape of the crown is correct I will startch the brim and iron to get it nice and stiff keep in mind the stitching will be hidden underneath the ribbon.

So I ironed and startched the brim to get it nice a flat. I also re wet the crown and this time pushed it inside the original hat so not only does it have the mold from working the felt over it but also underneath. The Joker's brim in the front has a slight angle.

The final result I just have to add the bow. I was even able to use the same ribbon the Hot Toys figure has.

Back