Customising Redman RM042 The Cowboy Blondie/Eastwood

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p3ss3ssod

Freaked Out
Reaction score
1650269124537.png

I didn't find a dedicated thread for this figure so thought I'd make one to follow my customising of this figure as I work through it.

The recent announcement from Sideshow's Clint Eastwood series gave me little faith that what they offered was going to be a better option than what I could customise from the Redman RM042, especially for the price. I really like this as a base figure but there's quite a bit of work to get it up to something I'd be happy display; which is exactly how I love these kinds of projects.

I've started firstly on doing the poncho. Again, it's a good base but needs some help for decent accuracy.

First step is to hand paint all the pattern in white using a paint pen. The original is a very silvery grey which isn't close to accurate but probably the cheapest way they could do a 'dirty white'. I'm going to give them another pass before they'll be done, but I want there to be a roughness to them to keep the hand-made look of the embroidery which is far too uniform in the stock print. By painting it all white it'll bring it up to how it was originally when made, then the weathering and dirtying will work consistently over the entire piece.

I've also started reducing the tassles which are too long and thick on the stock figure. They're made up of 3x 3 fibres twisted (9 in total). I unraveled them and took one lot of 3 out to thin them down. This is much closer to the correct width. They then need to be fabric glued with a tiny drop to the poncho as the stitch used to keep them in place was then too loose to hold the tassle to my satisfaction. I then added a knot and cut them by about half the original length.

This is one side half painted and half re-tassled compared to the stock.

IMG_5512.jpg

It's pretty tedious and fiddly work, but it's an iconic piece of the character's look that deserves as much effort as possible as far as I'm concerned.

Dirtying up the poncho nearly complete. I sanded the fabric to rough it up and then airbrushed various shades of yellow browns through to very light tan colours. Also some lighter greens were randomly applied to give a bit more inconsistency.

Will add some final dust once everything else is done around the shoulders and bottom edges.

P4190570.JPG

P4190573.JPG

I'm still to make the plate/armour piece from the end of Fistful of Dollars and possibly a couple of other little enhancements but the projects near complete from the perspective of customising everything he came with.

Here's a list of everything I've done:

* Poncho pattern repainted
* Poncho tassles thinned, shortened and a knot added
* Poncho lightly sanded and then dirtied up
* Head repainted
* Neck shortened by removing piece connected to the neck and gluing the cup attacment directly to inside of neck
* Legs lengthened at the ankle with epoxy putty inbetween the piece that joins into the leg, roughly 7mm
* Jeans lightly sanded and then airbrushed with a dust effect on knees and cuffs
* Boots dirtied up with a couple of different washes and then dusted like the jeans
* Under shirt dirtied up with a thin wash airbrused around the cuffes and other places dirt would naturally accrue
* Sheepskin vest dirtied up similarly, especially to dull down the whiteness of the furry side
* Black bandana cut in half width wise to keep the correct length but lose all the bulk
* Generally dirtying of the belts and holster
* Hands replaced with ones from the World Box set
* Match made from a toothpick and some cotton wool and painted

P4250688.JPG

P4250702.JPG

P4250707.JPG

P4250690.JPG

I'm still to make the plate/armour piece from the end of Fistful of Dollars and possibly a couple of other little enhancements but the projects near complete from the perspective of customising everything he came with.

* Head repainted
* Neck shortened by removing piece connected to the neck and gluing the cup attacment directly to inside of neck
* Legs lengthened at the ankle with epoxy putty inbetween the piece that joins into the leg, roughly 7mm
* Jeans lightly sanded and then airbrushed with a dust effect on knees and cuffs
* Boots dirtied up with a couple of different washes and then dusted like the jeans
* Under shirt dirtied up with a thin wash airbrused around the cuffes and other places dirt would naturally accrue
* Sheepskin vest dirtied up similarly, especially to dull down the whiteness of the furry side
* Black bandana cut in half width wise to keep the correct length but lose all the bulk

View attachment 573814

View attachment 573812

View attachment 573811
View attachment 573813
Great job with the repaint could I suggest what I did with my figure, and that was to sit the hat lower just above the eyebrows. Always thought the hat sat too high. I put the head in hot water to remove the hat which was fairly easy, then using a sharp knife trimmed away the top of the sculpt going slowly trying the hat until I was happy with its position.

* Head repainted

View attachment 573814

View attachment 573812

View attachment 573811
View attachment 573813
Impressive skill my friend. I have the Redman Toys The Outlaw Josey Wales, you have inspired me.

Back