Is Sideshow getting greedy$$$???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Statues > Over priced figures

:lecture one day you will all realize.

I agree with that, but having a large (in terms of quantity) collection and being able to buy 3,4,5 items for the price of 1 statue is a big drawing point and hurdle to jump for those thinking of moving from 1/6 to statues. As prices go up on 1/6 it makes PF more attractive, especially looking at items that are cheap on ebay.

I can never afford some of the exclusive PFs on the second market, but paying less than $250 for a regular Indy PF is pretty darn tempting compared to a 1/6th KOTCS Indy with an ice box, LOL.

I thnk the Alien Warrior is a couple hundred over the top. The marvel stuff has been pretty okay. Won't comment on 12" as I wouldn't spend a dim on any.

Personally, I disagree that the prices are solely VARIABLE cost related.

SSC made the strategic decision to start producing smaller quantities. Thats what is leading to higher prices. Instead of distributing FIXED costs over 5000 or 7000 units of a 12" figure like they used to, they are now making items in quanity of 2000.

The molds, dies, research, these cost the same whether you make 2000 or 5000. Thats a HUGE part of why we are paying more.

Agreed...except when you design and create one figure which definately costs money in development, and then you take that figure and create 6 other figures out of the same thing (stormtroopers, Clones) and charge the same price if not more..then thats where there is a contradiction. I always know part of the cost is due to developing the figure..but when you change a color or put a racing stripe on the same figure..and that same price is there..then its being "greedy". I love collecting sideshow..but I fear these prices are going to end up shutting them down because they are reaching a price ceiling that is going to put them out of business..and fast.

To use plastic instead of polystone they have to make steel molds which are designed for much larger production runs and cost many, many times more than the molds used for polystone.

And it isn't the cost of the materials that's the deciding factor anyway.

Man, I've been reading all the posts and honestly I don't know what to say. I love Sideshow. The day I can't afford their product anymore, I'll sadly just stop buying it. That's all I have to say.

Some people would rather see them lower their prices and lay off employees. Then complain when the products they want to see released take longer to surface because they fired half the staff.

While we're at it, let's complain about the server speed and demand they make some tech improvements on the lower budget we are advocating.

Then we need to be prepared for Gentle Giant levels of customer service when they fire the CS folks as well in order to lower prices.

Think of every check that Sideshow writes to every employee, every electric and phone bill, every jar of paint and every mold, every cost to ship boxes from China--all that comes from the income they receive from selling us collectibles. They are running a business, not a charity, and that business has to be profitable for it to continue.

Personally, I disagree that the prices are solely VARIABLE cost related.

SSC made the strategic decision to start producing smaller quantities. Thats what is leading to higher prices. Instead of distributing FIXED costs over 5000 or 7000 units of a 12" figure like they used to, they are now making items in quanity of 2000.

The molds, dies, research, these cost the same whether you make 2000 or 5000. Thats a HUGE part of why we are paying more.

I think the marvel stuff they announced at the con is very affordable...

:lol:lol:lol @ other forums collectors.

A bit of perspective here:

Venom Comiquette - $265
Ironman vs. Namor diorama - $325
Mystique AH Exclusive - $175
Scarlet Witch - $220

:lol

Man, I've been reading all the posts and honestly I don't know what to say. I love Sideshow. The day I can't afford their product anymore, I'll sadly just stop buying it. That's all I have to say.

You people all above have got it together, IMO. SS is doing a company who is doing a great job and learning from their mistakes.

The day they stop hearing people, the day they stop learning from their errors, that is the day SS should be heckled.

To this point, they are doing the listening, and learning from their mistakes. Bottom line: They produce great stuff, some of it even outstanding. I hope they do NOT cut corners and use cheaper materials. If they do, they will have lost a valuable collector and financial supporter(by buying their products), through myself, and I believe many others.

I don't want crap. I want quality stuff.

Back