Is Sideshow getting greedy$$$???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the line that gets crossed when profit turns to greed? If Hot Toys does it, and most would agree Hot Toys are milking us, we call it being milked. Why, when Sideshow does it, it gets called greed?

Because Sideshow doesn't put out the same level of product HT puts out. SS = big heads, flimsy bodies and sub-par paint jobs.
I believe it's the different cultures that the Japanese and American live in, they see the world and work in it a little to a lot differently.
Plus, the thing that keeps SS on the same track is people still buy their sub-par products they dish out. Both are trying to make a buck some just do it better then others. I don't think that's greed I think that's just being naive.

Some people would rather see them lower their prices and lay off employees. Then complain when the products they want to see released take longer to surface because they fired half the staff.

While we're at it, let's complain about the server speed and demand they make some tech improvements on the lower budget we are advocating.

Then we need to be prepared for Gentle Giant levels of customer service when they fire the CS folks as well in order to lower prices.

Think of every check that Sideshow writes to every employee, every electric and phone bill, every jar of paint and every mold, every cost to ship boxes from China--all that comes from the income they receive from selling us collectibles. They are running a business, not a charity, and that business has to be profitable for it to continue.

Could not have said it better. As someone who runs a business, people want something for nothing.

And Duke is $5 more cause he comes with more than Snake Eyes.

And HT isn't "greedy"? Just look at how they played out the Joker evolution to see "greed". Or "milking". Or whatever you call it. Now they're doing it again with the DX Batman.

That kind of stuff -- making a 6 month old $150 figure obsolete -- bugs me more than a one-off high priced figure. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of when HT releases a better version product only a few months after I bought their first.

I was just getting used to them not releasing the new improved version till the last one had been distributed, but now I see they have, what, three or four T-600 all out competing with each other. They got Cahoonas alright.

Sorry Batty. :eek:

Yeah, with all the money Sideshow is making from distributing Hot Toys you'd reckon they could give us a discount, or at least whack a credit into our Sideshow accounts.

Could not have said it better. As someone who runs a business, people want something for nothing.

And Duke is $5 more cause he comes with more than Snake Eyes.

We are not saying we want something for nothing. What I was saying is that it might be a good idea for Sideshow to consider making their accessories out of a less expensive material so it cheaper for them to produce and for us to buy. There is no need for a $125 polystone fridge when a $70 plastic one would have been just as good.

You never need as many accessories as they provide either, so if they just cut back on stuff that isn't really needed it would help as well. My first Indy has his gun in his holster and his whip in his hand, I didn't need billion other hands and darts and torches etc etc. Same with just about every figure I own. A few is fine, but this accessory business is getting crazy. Even the smallest dart costs money to produce.

You never need as many accessories as they provide either, so if they just cut back on stuff that isn't really needed it would help as well. My first Indy has his gun in his holster and his whip in his hand, I didn't need billion other hands and darts and torches etc etc. Same with just about every figure I own. A few is fine, but this accessory business is getting crazy. Even the smallest dart costs money to produce.

Personally, I love love love all the little accessories! I don't mind paying a little more when I can really see the extra stuff I'm getting like with Duke and Snake Eyes. I'd rather have many little things for a little more, than one big thing for a lot more. It gives people some variety and options for posing the figures. With one big expensive thing, the posing options are much more limited.

It's very concerning that Sideshow is charging a ridiculous price for an exclusive that could have just as easily been made from a cheaper material than polystone. I'm guessing the regular Indy will be $100, which will make the fridge $125, which means the exclusive is more expensive than the figure itself! Like Darth Madden said, there was no need for a polystone fridge for $125 when a $70 plastic one would have been great.

Personally, I disagree that the prices are solely VARIABLE cost related.

SSC made the strategic decision to start producing smaller quantities. Thats what is leading to higher prices. Instead of distributing FIXED costs over 5000 or 7000 units of a 12" figure like they used to, they are now making items in quanity of 2000.

The molds, dies, research, these cost the same whether you make 2000 or 5000. Thats a HUGE part of why we are paying more.

Last edited:
That's a good point prog, I never pay attention to edition sizes, so if they are smaller then maybe that is part of the problem.

As for the accessories, I totally agree with Mad Old Jim, I like alot of them so I have alot of display options to choose from. I canceled my 12" Indy in favor of the PF, but if I go back and get one later I like that there are alot of different ways I can pose him and props I can use.

I think the marvel stuff they announced at the con is very affordable...

:lol:lol:lol @ other forums collectors.

Statues > Over priced figures

:lecture one day you will all realize.

sometimes they are right on the money with their prices. other times not so much. I do think that some of the price increase is just because they can get away with it. Other times it is a necessary evil.

$225 for Indy with fridge
$225 for Thrawn with chair
$125 for Duke (Snake Eyes was $120)

WTF Sideshow?!?!?!

I know the old argument: Don't like, don't buy but come on. You are pricing yourselves out of the market.

Statues > Over priced figures

:lecture one day you will all realize.

A bit of perspective here:

Venom Comiquette - $265
Ironman vs. Namor diorama - $325
Mystique AH Exclusive - $175
Scarlet Witch - $220

:lol

Back