Is Sideshow getting greedy$$$???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kl241

Super Freak
Reaction score
$225 for Indy with fridge
$225 for Thrawn with chair
$125 for Duke (Snake Eyes was $120)

WTF Sideshow?!?!?!

I know the old argument: Don't like, don't buy but come on. You are pricing yourselves out of the market.

Deja Vu!

But really, this comes up every year. Every year Sideshow ups the prices, and we all get upset, but as long as the products sell well, the prices will continue to climb. It sucks, but it's business.

I don't think it's greed. They just need to stop using polystone for all these pieces. It'd be cheaper and they'd sell more of them.

Well with the Joe movie getting closer the price was sure to be a bit higher on the Joes.

Last edited:
I think pricing in the 1/6 market in general has gotten obnoxious. It'll be interesting to see how many more price hikes it'll sustain before the market finally snaps and bottoms out.

There's nothing this year that's as ridiculous as that exclusive Indy price for a 12'' figure. Like I said in the Indy thread. You could buy the regular version and a real life mini fridge for the same price or less than what they want for the exclusive.

Some people would rather see them lower their prices and lay off employees. Then complain when the products they want to see released take longer to surface because they fired half the staff.

While we're at it, let's complain about the server speed and demand they make some tech improvements on the lower budget we are advocating.

Then we need to be prepared for Gentle Giant levels of customer service when they fire the CS folks as well in order to lower prices.

Think of every check that Sideshow writes to every employee, every electric and phone bill, every jar of paint and every mold, every cost to ship boxes from China--all that comes from the income they receive from selling us collectibles. They are running a business, not a charity, and that business has to be profitable for it to continue.

^^^^ the Fridge.
^^^^ the Throne.
I'm okay with a $5.00 mark up.

As long as they don't start doing amazingly vital part of exclusives that cost so much more I'm fine with it. I'll be pissed when it happens with the Emperor because it'll be vital and how could you have the Emperor without the throne but its hard to think of another 1:6 figure where I'd kick myself for not getting the furniture with it.

Some people would rather see them lower their prices and lay off employees. Then complain when the products they want to see released take longer to surface because they fired half the staff.

While we're at it, let's complain about the server speed and demand they make some tech improvements on the lower budget we are advocating.

Then we need to be prepared for Gentle Giant levels of customer service when they fire the CS folks as well in order to lower prices.

Think of every check that Sideshow writes to every employee, every electric and phone bill, every jar of paint and every mold, every cost to ship boxes from China--all that comes from the income they receive from selling us collectibles. They are running a business, not a charity, and that business has to be profitable for it to continue.

They can join the rest of us then.

But wouldn't it have been better to sell Toht and the Ark for say $130 and sell out rather than have 100+ still in the wearhouse at $170?

But wouldn't it have been better to sell Toht and the Ark for say $130 and sell out rather than have 100+ still in the wearhouse at $170?

Yes, and not only that but with the country in a recession, how about make a fridge out of plastic instead of stone. Find a way to cut costs that don't hurt instead of figuring out the dumbest ways to increase their costs in a declining market.

Yes, and not only that but with the country in a recession, how about make a fridge out of plastic instead of stone. Find a way to cut costs that don't hurt instead of figuring out the dumbest ways to increase their costs in a declining market.

Yeah, like they did on Toht's glasses? They should've knocked $5 off the price for that.

Which is probably going to happen with Indy and the fridge.

Correct on both counts. They saw what is happening with the Ark and they could have very easily changed the fridge to plastic to cut costs.

The Fridge and the Chair being made of polystone is a real headscratcher. Both of those could have been done in high quality plastics without much of an issue IMHO.

Even if they were plastic the price would still be pretty high. And then people would want them to be even cheaper because there were plastic and not a high end item. We all want cheap stuff but it aint gonna happen anymore. The military side of things has been this way for a while now, $30-$40 were the norm not too long ago.

If they can do a PF in plastic, I'm sure they could do some of these other items in plastic. I don't think Sideshow is being greedy, but it'd make the items more affordable.

You make some good point Tom, and I agree with them. However I sometimes do find myself a little disappointed when we get figures that are increasing in price and decreasing in accessories. Think about Jedi Luke and some of the other early Star Wars releases. That said, I'm not sure that its Sideshow's fault, but I'm not sure they don't deserve some blame for it either.

What is the line that gets crossed when profit turns to greed? If Hot Toys does it, and most would agree Hot Toys are milking us, we call it being milked. Why, when Sideshow does it, it gets called greed?

Back