Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Mark II (Armor Unleashed Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does say prototype WMMKII.... and I guess theres no timeline for when the suits were built :dunno and it does make sense considering Hot Rod has the star, IF it didnt I would think the Hot Toys MKII is the false WMMKII and Hot Rod was the prototype for an unbuilt suit that would be the MKII

That was flat out a mistake.
In reality, IP was the suit, and had the star on it.
Afterwards, during production, they released images of the "WM MKII" which didn't have the star.
In the meantime, during production, they used the IP mesh for the Hot rod.
None of that matters in movie continuity, as Hot Rod was first, then WM MKII, which was rebranded by the government into IP.
Hot Rod > War Machine MKII > Iron Patriot.

That was flat out a mistake.
In reality, IP was the suit, and had the star on it.
Afterwards, during production, they released images of the "WM MKII" which didn't have the star.
In the meantime, during production, they used the IP mesh for the Hot rod.
None of that matters in movie continuity, as Hot Rod was first, then WM MKII, which was rebranded by the government into IP.
Hot Rod > War Machine MKII > Iron Patriot.

:exactly:
The star being on War Machine and Hot Rod makes no sense

Finally snagged one of these up and Im not sure why I waited so long,this guy is incredible! The paint job just shines and the details on the boots just blows my mind well done Hot Toys.

Finally snagged one of these up and Im not sure why I waited so long,this guy is incredible! The paint job just shines and the details on the boots just blows my mind well done Hot Toys.

Nice. I'm looking to pick one up myself... How much did it run you?

Nice. I'm looking to pick one up myself... How much did it run you?

Got mine for $315 shipped through Ebay. MIB with everything still wrapped in plastic and all the plastic tabs for the lights were intact except for the head.Only thing missing was the brown shipper box. Seems a complete MIB/MISB go for $350-$400. Id say go for it,it really stands out from the rest because of that paint job, I wish all the other suits used it now :/

Got mine for $315 shipped through Ebay. MIB with everything still wrapped in plastic and all the plastic tabs for the lights were intact except for the head.Only thing missing was the brown shipper box. Seems a complete MIB/MISB go for $350-$400. Id say go for it,it really stands out from the rest because of that paint job, I wish all the other suits used it now :/

Thats a really good price :clap Congrats :duff

I just snagged one of these MISB myself, really looking forward to getting it in-hand. Still my overall favourite suit from all the movies, although I could really do with at least one red-and-gold armour for the collection...

I just snagged one of these MISB myself, really looking forward to getting it in-hand. Still my overall favourite suit from all the movies, although I could really do with at least one red-and-gold armour for the collection...

This one represents a pivotal moment in the movies. Not just in the story, but in the evolution of Tony's thought processes and his basis as a genius scientist.
Tony made the MKI "with a bunch of scraps", and the MKII, while representing a huge evolutionary step up from that original suit, was still flawed due to being made of aluminium. Like many armours, it showed a stepping stone system in that Tony would always be striving for a better armour.
Although most of the later armours sport weird and wonderful colour schemes, the MKII stands alone as a design that was fabricated in bare metal. Even Midas is a gold titanium alloy. MKII is bare metal.

This one represents a pivotal moment in the movies. Not just in the story, but in the evolution of Tony's thought processes and his basis as a genius scientist.
Tony made the MKI "with a bunch of scraps", and the MKII, while representing a huge evolutionary step up from that original suit, was still flawed due to being made of aluminium. Like many armours, it showed a stepping stone system in that Tony would always be striving for a better armour.
Although most of the later armours sport weird and wonderful colour schemes, the MKII stands alone as a design that was fabricated in bare metal. Even Midas is a gold titanium alloy. MKII is bare metal.

What I love about it, and what no Marvel movie has quite matched since, is the Howard Hughes-esque look with the brushed aluminium and flush rivets, which absolutely nails a visual representation of Stark's characterisation. I've always seen him as a latter-day Howard Hughes reimagined as a superhero, too bad the movies have strayed further and further away from that conceit.

Also no scene in any other superhero movie before or since, for me at least, has measured up to the 'test flight' for making me believe a man can fly.

Iron Man Mark II Test Flight - YouTube

What I love about it, and what no Marvel movie has quite matched since, is the Howard Hughes-esque look with the brushed aluminium and flush rivets, which absolutely nails a visual representation of Stark's characterisation. I've always seen him as a latter-day Howard Hughes reimagined as a superhero, too bad the movies have strayed further and further away from that conceit.

Also no scene in any other superhero movie before or since, for me at least, has measured up to the 'test flight' for making me believe a man can fly.

Iron Man Mark II Test Flight - YouTube

Yeah. His theme engaging when the repulsors kick in again before he hits the ground is great. So many cool moments in IM1, but this stands out.

Yeah. His theme engaging when the repulsors kick in again before he hits the ground is great. So many cool moments in IM1, but this stands out.

I think what made IM1 so cool was the thin veneer of plausibility. The thing he has in IM1 for projecting holograms is the size of a large Wacom tablet, for example, and projects things at a realistic resolution. Then in IM2 onwards he somehow has the ability to fill a room with three-dimensional holograms that never get disrupted by people standing in them and are in razor-sharp resolutions. Suddenly RDJ goes from having his performance supported by great, convincing special effects, to having his performance drowned by mediocre, implausible ones.

IM1 is clearly informed by the classic Michelenie/Layton comics. The later films' biggest mistake was stepping far, far away from that material in pursuit of a modernist take to resolve the films with the more recent (terrible, execrable, awful) IM comics.

I think what made IM1 so cool was the thin veneer of plausibility. The thing he has in IM1 for projecting holograms is the size of a large Wacom tablet, for example, and projects things at a realistic resolution. Then in IM2 onwards he somehow has the ability to fill a room with three-dimensional holograms that never get disrupted by people standing in them and are in razor-sharp resolutions. Suddenly RDJ goes from having his performance supported by great, convincing special effects, to having his performance drowned by mediocre, implausible ones.

IM1 is clearly informed by the classic Michelenie/Layton comics. The later films' biggest mistake was stepping far, far away from that material in pursuit of a modernist take to resolve the films with the more recent (terrible, execrable, awful) IM comics.

It's fair comment. But you just need to disengage your a brain a little.
There's no way even in IM1 he could have survived the MKI crash in the desert. The pieces breaking apart would have sliced through him.
He couldn't take the acceleration of ANY of the suits, never mind the times he crashes into things(Like trees), that would have flattened him like a pancake. You ever seen a truck hitting a 4ft thick tree? The tree says: "Did something just happen?"
I know exactly what you mean about the veneer of plausibility, and it's a great term. But there used to be a show where a guy said: "How does it *work*, Vic?" and Vic would reply: "I don't know, but it *does*!"
I treat all comic book movies like that. Don't think about how it works. Just accept that it does, lol.
And as for the Holo table:

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

It's fair comment. But you just need to disengage your a brain a little.
There's no way even in IM1 he could have survived the MKI crash in the desert. The pieces breaking apart would have sliced through him.
He couldn't take the acceleration of ANY of the suits, never mind the times he crashes into things(Like trees), that would have flattened him like a pancake. You ever seen a truck hitting a 4ft thick tree? The tree says: "Did something just happen?"
I know exactly what you mean about the veneer of plausibility, and it's a great term. But there used to be a show where a guy said: "How does it *work*, Vic?" and Vic would reply: "I don't know, but it *does*!"
I treat all comic book movies like that. Don't think about how it works. Just accept that it does, lol.
And as for the Holo table:

Absolutely fair point, it's all nonsense - but I like my nonsense to at least look like it can work, if that makes sense. Like in the old Star Wars films, everything was done in a way that, just by looking at it, made you believe it could work - even something as outlandish as a lightsaber. You can practically smell the leather, metal, rubber and cleaning fluid coming through your screen when Obi-Wan hands Luke Anakin's old saber.

Going back to the Mk II, I get that same feeling from it. It looks and feels 'real' in a way some of the later suits just don't. I especially like the blue glow inside the panels when the control surfaces are moving, would love to see that make a comeback.

That holotable is fantastic, by the way. What's it made from and which Stark figure is that next to it?

Absolutely fair point, it's all nonsense - but I like my nonsense to at least look like it can work, if that makes sense. Like in the old Star Wars films, everything was done in a way that, just by looking at it, made you believe it could work - even something as outlandish as a lightsaber. You can practically smell the leather, metal, rubber and cleaning fluid coming through your screen when Obi-Wan hands Luke Anakin's old saber.

"This was your father's LightSaber. I took it from him after chopping off his legs and one arm(Some other geezer took the other arm three years previously). I left him there to die. But the Emperor put him back together and siphoned all the life from your mother to keep your father alive. Good times"

Seriously, though, i totally agree. The realism with Star Wars is in them never explaining everything. Not like Trek, where every other sentence is totally meaningless technobabble exposition. In SW, it all works, and no-one explains how. And no-one needs them to.
Less exposition breeds in more realism. Sadly, these days, with all the doofusses out there(Doofi??), who won't understand a damned thing unless you hand it to them giftwrapped on a plate, you have to cater for those idiots. Sad but true.

Going back to the Mk II, I get that same feeling from it. It looks and feels 'real' in a way some of the later suits just don't. I especially like the blue glow inside the panels when the control surfaces are moving, would love to see that make a comeback.
They had that in the prehensile parts of the MK42 as i recall. Like a pale blue LED glow inside all the parts.

Back