Iron Giant Figure by Mondo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have VHS, DVD, LD, CD, LP so yep I'm game.:)

The art book looks good but I'm hoping we get to see a bit more of it, $85 is a lot to put down for a book and a movie.

That video is unfortunate, but I've found Mondo to be pretty good with responding to emails etc.

For me, the fingers don't feel cheap or fragile. I suppose I got a good one. Could it have been better? Absolutely! There is always room for improvement, no matter what we collect... but I gotta say I do love this guy!

Having said that, it would have been nice if it were heavier and felt like 300 smackers. I still see this guy being a 150-200 range piece... but it was pay this price, or don't have him at all. So I chose the latter.

I agree. Also, I wish there was some of handling instructions on what to look out for any weak areas for possible damage. Fyi, the thumb socket can pop off but you can push it back in. The thumb joint is the only piece I see that can break if you move it around too much.

I dont recall a scale was ever listed but judging from the Hogarth figure I think the iron giant is somewhere around 1/28 or 1/30. (This is just a guess, I could be totally way off mark)

With rough math, the inner box says the giant is 50 feet tall and the figure is 16 inches, so ... that's 1/37.5. I'd call it 1/35 to be tidy.
I got mine from Mondo yesterday and am nodding my head at the responses from all sides. This feels like something produced by some guys who really love the Iron Giant but who are still getting educated on how to make toys, which I reckon is exactly what it is. The shoulder joints are nice and clicky but whatever weird rubber system that was used in the elbows and knees caused a lot of "please please please don't break" anxiety when bending them for the first time.
I get the disappointment over lack of ankle tilt but to be honest I don't think that prevents me from replicating any movie poses - he didn't stand with legs splayed, much as I can tell - so it doesn't really bother me.
I do think it was a miss to not allow the head to tilt back so he can do a Superman flying pose. And I also am surprised that the eyes go dim (the light inside the head gets cut off) when you pose the head to look down. A 50 foot tall robot is going to be looking down a lot, that should have been taken into account.
So yeah, compared to what I'd expect Bandai or Arcadia or other high-end robot toy producers to put out at this price point, this really comes across as a rookie effort. So pat on the back for Mondo, I guess, have a cookie, you put out a product. I wouldn't be shocked to see a Version 2 in a few years like other toy companies have done as they up their game.

Here, here. magicsp00n bring on the all metal version 2.0.

thanks to all for the scale estimates. The Hogarth is a little bigger than he is supposed to be but I should have no problems getting highly detailed vehicles in that scale for the giant to play with.

With rough math, the inner box says the giant is 50 feet tall and the figure is 16 inches, so ... that's 1/37.5. I'd call it 1/35 to be tidy.
I got mine from Mondo yesterday and am nodding my head at the responses from all sides. This feels like something produced by some guys who really love the Iron Giant but who are still getting educated on how to make toys, which I reckon is exactly what it is. The shoulder joints are nice and clicky but whatever weird rubber system that was used in the elbows and knees caused a lot of "please please please don't break" anxiety when bending them for the first time.
I get the disappointment over lack of ankle tilt but to be honest I don't think that prevents me from replicating any movie poses - he didn't stand with legs splayed, much as I can tell - so it doesn't really bother me.
I do think it was a miss to not allow the head to tilt back so he can do a Superman flying pose. And I also am surprised that the eyes go dim (the light inside the head gets cut off) when you pose the head to look down. A 50 foot tall robot is going to be looking down a lot, that should have been taken into account.
So yeah, compared to what I'd expect Bandai or Arcadia or other high-end robot toy producers to put out at this price point, this really comes across as a rookie effort. So pat on the back for Mondo, I guess, have a cookie, you put out a product. I wouldn't be shocked to see a Version 2 in a few years like other toy companies have done as they up their game.

The bolded a million times! You are so right on the money! What he said in the bolded people, is what you are getting. This is Mondo's first real stab at a high-end collectible. Remember how Hot Toys and SideShow started off? Their product was mediocre to sheeeyat! Now look where they are today. Well... for the most part. I think this is going to be trial and error for them. And so far, so good.

I'll add, they don't need to up their game by rereleasing a "better version." I think they can learn from it and make something different.... whole other license. I think it's a great piece. The price is just a wee bit on the high end.

Here, here. magicsp00n bring on the all metal version 2.0.

thanks to all for the scale estimates. The Hogarth is a little bigger than he is supposed to be but I should have no problems getting highly detailed vehicles in that scale for the giant to play with.

Bigger? I think he's right to scale.

Bigger? I think he's right to scale.

According to these screenshots the Hogarth is out of scale. It does not bother me, just stating my observation.

01.jpg
02.jpg

Still looks to scale to me. Besides, any smaller and you couldn't have a Hogarth. But he fits right inside the hand of the Iron Giant... so I don't get the out of scale bit. These photos show to scale.

Has anyone thought of a way to setup a secure stand for him? He stands well in a neutral pose, but I'm not brave enough to try a walking pose or anything too dynamic without being able to tie him down somehow. I haven't had any breakage issues, but I don't think he's going to stand up to much of a tumble. I'm thinking that threading something like a stirrup in the mid-foot joint and down into a large board or plastic base might be pretty easy and effective.

Was anyone else surprised that the giant doesn't have magnetic palms and Hogarth was metal? Seemed like a no-brainer.

Re: Mondo THE IRON GIANT Action Figure!

I do wish they would have made it where Hogarth was held on his shoulder or hand with magnets. Wouldn't have taken much effort to throw that in--especially for this price.

Re: Mondo THE IRON GIANT Action Figure!

I do wish they would have made it where Hogarth was held on his shoulder or hand with magnets. Wouldn't have taken much effort to throw that in--especially for this price.

I agree.

Here are couple things that I think Mondo should have added in the iron giant.

1) magnates for Hogarth.

2) rotating joint in the thigh and not at the Knee.

Back