InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone tell me why they cover the palantir with a cloth? If it sees through obstacles then its pointless to cover it or is there an explanation for it?View attachment 665869

Dramatic effect as some have noted. But maybe also to prevent anyone looking into it! In particular it’s probably tricksy and false and calls out to hobittses with dazzling images of the finest ales, meals, and pipeweed.

When did you all guys who are receiving the invoice place your order? I ordered it on mid June 2022, so maybe next batch for me...

When did you all guys who are receiving the invoice place your order? I ordered it on mid June 2022, so maybe next batch for me...
My PO was on May 18th. You're probably down the line a bit depending on how big this initial batch is.

Sorry for being late to the party, but I recently watched the film because of interest in this figure. I have to ask. Does anyone here actually have pictures of the actual screen worn underpants/trousers ? I went looking really hard for them, I watched every single frame in the film that Gandalf was in (Extended and normal), searched the entire internet but other than the Asmus/Sideshow pants and 2 sketch pictures of the designs. I cannot seem to find an actual picture of it. People on forums years ago have said it does exists cause they saw it on display, but still no pictures. I don't blame InArt for missing the design though, it was never seen in the film. It is also crazy how Asmus and Sideshow actually got that one tiny little detail in
I don't think it's ever seen in the movie at all. Went through all of his scenes a month or two ago to look at his cloak on the 4k Bluray and it's never shown.

My PO was on May 18th. You're probably down the line a bit depending on how big this initial batch is.

I don't think it's ever seen in the movie at all. Went through all of his scenes a month or two ago to look at his cloak on the 4k Bluray and it's never shown.
Yeah it was never shown nor did it slip out during any of the scenes. It's a huge mystery in the hardcore LOTR costume community too. These are the only photos of it that exists (I think?) which are only sketches of the design that were re-drawn by fans who saw it in person. Very interesting how Asmus and the old sideshow figure got this correct. Maybe they got more references from the licensor?

1696093624295.png
1696093664922.png

Here's the clearest photo I've been able to find of the trousers being worn in live action. Although this is from The Hobbit (the costumes are supposed to be identical between trilogies), the trousers do not have the pattern but do have a lot of mud and weathering. I've been through the Fellowship and you never see the trousers clear enough to see the pattern to know if it's present.

As someone else mentioned, the pattern could have been on original designs and costumes only to have been removed for a simpler version prior to filming. This also happened to Aragorn's sword belt which originally had a metal belt end tip (and was included on the original Sideshow figure) but was absent from the movie costume.

Gandalf_the_Grey_-_The_Hobbit.jpg

Here's the clearest photo I've been able to find of the trousers being worn in live action. Although this is from The Hobbit (the costumes are supposed to be identical between trilogies), the trousers do not have the pattern but do have a lot of mud and weathering. I've been through the Fellowship and you never see the trousers clear enough to see the pattern to know if it's present.

As someone else mentioned, the pattern could have been on original designs and costumes only to have been removed for a simpler version prior to filming. This also happened to Aragorn's sword belt which originally had a metal belt end tip (and was included on the original Sideshow figure) but was absent from the movie costume.

View attachment 666007
I agree, that must have been the case. Because on the hardcore LOTR costume website. The editor made a note "What originally looked like mud splatters at the hem is actually a painted design. Interesting... we've got two different patterns seen at two different exhibits". They saw two different designs of the pants in 2001 and 2003. So who really knows what it looked like during filming lol. I don't think even sir Ian McKellen would remember if we asked him directly.

Good find btw

Here's another photo taken from Sir Ian's website from the filming of Fellowship...definitely can't see the pattern although the resolution is too low to know for definite 🧐
View attachment 666029
I used an AI enhancer (obviously it's not 100% accurate). But the bottom part looks too small to have any actual design on them (they don't look like the ones on Asmus')..look more like dry mud splatters/weathering.

One more for the road. Screen grab from The Desolation of Smaug and brightened for clarity. Can't see any pattern and interestingly, pull on boots rather than his usual lace ups!

Screenshot_20230930_182027_YouTube.jpg

Usually how long does the shipping take?
Depends sometimes a week. Sometimes two.
I was order #10 on Day one.

One more for the road. Screen grab from The Desolation of Smaug and brightened for clarity. Can't see any pattern and interestingly, pull on boots rather than his usual lace ups!

View attachment 666048
You can see the print. It's very faint. But it's there. I can see it with my "artistic eye" 😜

Edit: zoomed in higher clarity and contrast you can make out the writings
Picsart_23-09-30_18-32-00-478.jpg

Last edited:
Back