InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt this version will be a two-pack. I think the haired version will include an elaborate diorama base to get the price up there, maybe $600-$700 or so.

I think Gandalf the White and Gandalf the Gray are two entirely separate characters. For licensing reasons you wouldn't/can't pack them together, and for business/financial reasons, you'd want to sell them separately. Why sell one two-pack for $1,000, when you can sell two elaborate deluxe packs for $700 each?

Joker made sense as a two-pack because it's more or less two of the same figure, minus one jacket. But the two iterations of Gandalf are completely different, would require different hair, costume, and headsculpt.

Now, while I think a Gray/White 2-pack is unlikely, I think it's reasonable to expect a Gray 2-pack, with a standard version and a "You shall not pass" version.

The one caveat is that I think there is no need for a sculpted hair Gandalf, that seems like it would be going backwards, in terms of figure technology. So, it's a bit wishful thinking on my part that there won't be as many options for Gandalf as there was for Joker. I think perhaps a $600 standard version, and a $1,000 2-pack is possible. Or maybe the standard is at $500. But I'd like to think they might price the deluxe at a 'bargain' price to get people to go for the more expensive set.

My fear is that the hypothetical "You shall not pass" version looks amazing, and I end up spending way more than I ever thought I would to get two Gandalf figures that I never wanted in the first place. :eek:

Now, while I think a Gray/White 2-pack is unlikely, I think it's reasonable to expect a Gray 2-pack, with a standard version and a "You shall not pass" version.

The one caveat is that I think there is no need for a sculpted hair Gandalf, that seems like it would be going backwards, in terms of figure technology. So, it's a bit wishful thinking on my part that there won't be as many options for Gandalf as there was for Joker. I think perhaps a $600 standard version, and a $1,000 2-pack is possible. Or maybe the standard is at $500. But I'd like to think they might price the deluxe at a 'bargain' price to get people to go for the more expensive set.

My fear is that the hypothetical "You shall not pass" version looks amazing, and I end up spending way more than I ever thought I would to get two Gandalf figures that I never wanted in the first place. :eek:
You shall not pass.. Queen's offer.

Excitement and worry at the same time for me. My credit card is starting to scream in anticipation!

They said on Facebook that this will be doll hair only. What a disappointment. Not a smart business move to not offer a sculpted hair version. That would cause me to skip the entire line.

Long hair, especially stringy like Joker and Aragorn, just doesn't look right when filled out to accommodate a sculpt. People can demand such minutia in detail on outfits and paint but then be fine with an overly sculpted hairstyle that makes Gandalf look like Heston's Moses.

Sculpted hair would be the mistake; who wants a Gandalf with a non-moveable head?
If you want doll hair it's fine. I am saying they should have a option of sculpted hair for the non hairdresser types. That's all.

Are they going to force the doll hair lovers to pay $1000 for two figures again or charge them $700 for one? Makes no sense to not offer a most likely more reasonable priced sculpted hair figure. No matter how it looks there is no way I want a rooted hair figure among my sculpted hair ones.

Last edited:
Lol.
Keep using the term “doll hair” if you want. Whether you believe it or not, most non-collectors will view the sculpted hair “figures” in your collection as “dolls”, anyway. Drawing the line at rooted hair won’t make your collectibles more acceptable to the masses.

I think to the casual viewer a figure with real hair would look much more intriguing and realistic.

That said, I think Malgus just wants a more affordable option than being forced to pay more for the 'rooted' option only.

There were all these wild price speculations for their Joker and I see it happening again for Gandalf. I can’t imagine a single rooted hair Gandalf going for more than $500 when you can still buy Asmus’ version for $350.

Just because they offered a two pack for Joker doesn’t mean they’ll be doing that for every figure they announce either. I definitely don’t expect that to be the case with Gandalf at all.

My hope is that they skip the moveable peepers on this and just put that extra effort/cost into the hair and clothing instead.

Long hair, especially stringy like Joker and Aragorn, just doesn't look right when filled out to accommodate a sculpt. People can demand such minutia in detail on outfits and paint but then be fine with an overly sculpted hairstyle that makes Gandalf look like Heston's Moses.
I only unboxed regular Asmus Gandalf last week. 'Heston Gandalf' is exactly right :lol

..waiting on that replacement head...:impatient:

Back