InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve gotta make it a point to stop by every InArt thread because these discussions are wild.

I have no horse in this race but I’m just going to say what I normally say.

If you’re on the fence, just buy it. It’s better to buy it and sell it if you don’t want it than regret it and buy it for more.

You know what, I'm going to tear that fence down so I no longer have to be on it :ROFLMAO:

You know what, I'm going to tear that fence down so I no longer have to be on it :ROFLMAO:

EB43507D-B995-46C2-95AE-3082420B193B.gif

View attachment 582851

Some of you clearly don't actually have any idea what color Gandalf's clothes are.
The colours are correct if you use that very badly lit glamour shot sure. However, the actual costume cloak is grey and the hat is blue as can be seen in the movie/appendices/books/photos all over the Internet. The wool used for the costume woven by Stansborough in NZ is famous for its grey colour and you can still buy the actual cloak replica from them.

The problem is that the costume colours change per scene once the grading has been added so you can't really rely on one specific scene/photo to base the costume off and need to look at the actual costume for reference.

Attachments

• gandalftop_kayNM.jpg
    gandalftop_kayNM.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • GanEmb20256_YukNM.jpg
    GanEmb20256_YukNM.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
  • GanWin0253_YukNM.jpg
    GanWin0253_YukNM.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0
  • GandSide0232_YukNM (1).jpg
    GandSide0232_YukNM (1).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220613-080554_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220613-080554_YouTube.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220613-080526_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220613-080526_YouTube.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 0
The colours are correct if you use that very badly lit glamour shot sure. However, the actual costume cloak is grey and the hat is blue as can be seen in the movie/appendices/books/photos all over the Internet. The wool used for the costume woven by Stansborough in NZ is famous for its grey colour and you can still buy the actual cloak replica from them.

The problem is that the costume colours change per scene once the grading has been added so you can't really rely on one specific scene/photo to base the costume off and need to look at the actual costume for reference.

Gandalf2.jpg

Gandalf has two cloaks in the movie. His first cloak, the one with the hood, he wears from his first scene up until his fight with Saruman. Every shot of it shows it's redbrown. After Rivendell up to Moria, he wears a second cloak which doesn't have a hood. That one looks more grey to me on screen, though by that point in the film the color grading is cooler overall. It's possible these are both made of the same grey material sourced from Stansborough and the first is just weathered more, but I can't tell. They read as two different colors on screen.

He also wears a grey hooded cloak in The Hobbit. I think this is probably what Stansborough is selling on their site, even though they've labeled it as the Fellowship cloak. It certainly looks like the color of his cloak in the Hobbit, which you can see from this comparison (The Hobbit on the left, Fellowship on the right), and in that film his cloak is lighter than his robes, where the opposite is the case in LOTR. It also more closely matches the color of his hat, which the Stansboroguh site claims is made of the same material as the cloak, which doesn't appear to be the case at all in FOTR, even if we say the brown color is completely the result of color grading. I'd say it looks like Asmus based their colors on The Hobbit cloak, since their figure also has a cloak that's lighter than their robes.

Gandalf3.jpg

Yeah the Moria cloak is also what people are asking to be included with the Moria staff. At this point I doubt we'll get either included even though people have been asking for their inclusion from the initial reveal.

The Moria cloak looks like a heavy cotton (possibly waxed).

The point people are rightfully making is that for a $500 figure, it should be approaching definitive status but there are a lot of head-scratching omissions/design choices.

8ca17d5f34c14b476f0b513778e8144b.jpglotr-gandalf-4 (1).jpg

Last edited:
In the book, his hat is blue. I think this is the debate people are having. Maybe we can have two hats: one film version and a blue book version?
It's possible he has a second, grey hat for the Moria scenes? He does lose his first staff and cloak in Orthanc so maybe all his other effects are lost too.

I believe InArt did say scene-specific in one of their videos regarding the figures they would be making... not all-encompassing deluxe. And I don't remember them saying they wouldn't do multiple variants. So another Gandalf is possible.

I believe InArt did say scene-specific in one of their videos regarding the figures they would be making... not all-encompassing deluxe. And I don't remember them saying they wouldn't do multiple variants. So another Gandalf is possible.
If this is a scene specific Gandalf- and that scene doesn’t occur in Moria- then they shouldn’t have marketed it using so much Moria based photography, poses or show him facing off against the bloody Balrog!

The base is grey rocks from Moria for God’s sake. If this one isn’t the Moria version then I don’t know what they think they’re doing.

If this is a scene specific Gandalf- and that scene doesn’t occur in Moria- then they shouldn’t have marketed it using so much Moria based photography, poses or show him facing off against the bloody Balrog!

The base is grey rocks from Moria for God’s sake. If this one isn’t the Moria version then I don’t know what they think they’re doing.

You are correct! I was just about to hit the PO button... but forget it!

#notmyGandalf

Back