InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lot of the problem with Hot Toys prices isn't just them being greedy/cocky, but also them having to pay more for the licenses on Disney properties. It's no secret that virtually everything under the Disney umbrella got more expensive under Chapek, but even at the end of Iger's first tenure, they were acquiring and launching so much that they were raising prices to help recoup costs.

I do absolutely think Hot Toys knew they were the best in the biz, unchallenged by all in quality except perhaps Damtoys, and that certainly led to their price gouging in some capacity. But I also think they've probably had to shell out more money for the licenses which likely doesn't help.

Even with these figures - I'm sure the Star Wars/Marvel licenses go for significantly more money than anything Warner Bros has these days.

When I first started, was grabbing a lot of spare parts. Bodies, weapons, etc. It was always a relief to come back to HT, because the figures felt so solid. I'm still happy with my HTs; IMO the recent SW stuff has been outstanding. Far as I could tell, no-one could match HT at their best, with the eye work and portrait paint - sometimes I'd be awed that such beautiful paint work was done, for what could be considered a toy, maybe.
I'm happy with my ASMUS figs too, which for the most part were around $200 or so.

Happily some third party companies have come far, as well. Anyway I PO'd this Aragorn DX, tho I probably wouldn't have if I'd had the sense to get ASMUS' first release (I like the ASMUS base). I probably should have held out for ASMUS's new Thranduil $$$$$ which I absolutely will get.

Hope InArt delivers in production.

The stock work on the sideshow head was (and is) not doing it any favors, but trust me, there were decent repaints of it that actually showed the Viggo likeness. We're talking about customs from 2009 however, so many of you might have no clue what I'm referring to which is fine.
Yea, I agree with you. At the time, when it was repainted well, the likeness was brought out. Some ppl obviously are still relatively new to not have any idea how good it was when @Darren Carnall first showed his repaint. Obviously, the sculpt is outdated now, but like you said, at the time, it looked amazing with the repaint.

I'm a little confused. I've seen some others that keep asking where to purchase this or asking what's wrong with TW. These same people have been on CF since 2009/2010.

I've only been in the 1/6th hobby for 2.5 years and know of at least a handful of reputable HK sellers like OSK, Giantoy, KG and others. The horror stories are all over these boards about TW.

You say where else to purchase this because you refuse to use OSK. Others mention a few places and then TW is mention but with fair warning about them in that mention. Then you reply "oh yeah TW, is that the one Justin promotes or is that OSK?" Come on, 14 years, you know.

I love Justin's detailed reviews no matter if he likes everything or not. I'm able to form my own opinions, but also know that he promotes a place I don't agree with or would never purchase from. I get why he does it and a lot of us would in his shoes. Obviously not all of us, more power to KeCo for turning them down.

Someone on FB posted a side by side of just the sculpts of this and Asmus Helms Deep. It was crazy the difference in quality. I’m a big supporter and defender of Asmus. Not even close. Asmus has no one to blame but themselves. I think they’ve proven on different figures that they can put out a good sculpt. Aragorn was not one of them. I even feel kind of foolish defending the sculpt in the past. I have never ordered two of the exact same figure before. I’m thinking of doing that just so I can have two sculpts. This is beautiful. Aragorn is my favorite character and this will finally do him justice.
To be fair to Asmus, the exclusive version had 2 headsculpts and an 18” tall base for $300. If they decided to charge InArt’s absurd prices they’d do a much better sculpt too.

It’s an extremely good looking prototype, but they’ve still only released a tiny amount of 1 figure so far. I hope the quality is there, I hope the base bodies are very good. We’ve only seen them just stand there, for the prices they charge I want incredible range of motion; 2 handed sword poses, able to balance on one leg etc.
People are definitely overreacting that this is the finest figure to ever exist. The price seems (mostly proportionate to the apparent quality in comparison to other companies. It’s definitely not 4x the quality for 2x the price. Maybe 1.5-2x the quality.

To be fair to Asmus, the exclusive version had 2 headsculpts and an 18” tall base for $300. If they decided to charge InArt’s absurd prices they’d do a much better sculpt too.

I don't know, this seems fairly comparable. Asmus gives you an extra head and a large base for $300, but you don't get anywhere near the gear that InArt gives you for $335.

Not sure where the 'absurd price' comes in.

Asmus-Aragorn-Helms-Deep-EX-005.jpg

regular sculpted $335.jpg

It’s an extremely good looking prototype, but they’ve still only released a tiny amount of 1 figure so far. I hope the quality is there, I hope the base bodies are very good. We’ve only seen them just stand there, for the prices they charge I want incredible range of motion; 2 handed sword poses, able to balance on one leg etc.
People are definitely overreacting that this is the finest figure to ever exist. The price seems (mostly proportionate to the apparent quality in comparison to other companies. It’s definitely not 4x the quality for 2x the price. Maybe 1.5-2x the quality.
This is only $30 more and you are saying it's only 1.5x better?
Screenshot_20230107_180841_Gallery.jpg

Most of the head sculpts from the early 2000's are going to look bad compared to today's technology.

I do remember receiving that Sideshow Aragorn at the time and being truly disappointed at the paint apps. I immediately had it repainted and it made a world of difference. No, it can't compare to today's sculpts and paint apps, especially that tootsie roll hair, but it has remained my "Strider" figure, even with the newer ones from Asmus obtained. Today's pre-order from InArt will definitely replace it, though it will be a both exciting but kinda sad moment.

ss aragorn sm 1.jpg

ss aragorn sm 2.jpg

You’ve seen Amsus head sculpts before I presume? They shared in these boards that they went through at least 4 redesigns of the Helms Deep Aragorn while trying to capture the best likeness possible and what we got was… far from the best likeness possible but the best they could manage.

Charging more would not have enabled them to suddenly produce a better sculpt. Asking for more money doesn’t increase talent or skill. They are simply lacking in that department.

Hope the many final production pieces turn out the same as the prototype. Hot Toys rooted hair is PITA and doesn't look the same as in the prototype pics even if you futz it up. InArt need to overcome this annoying attribute and have it styled and set OOTB.

I'm grateful to have the privilege of being part of this hobby, but in many ways I'm so thankful I didn't really look into high end 1/6 until...2015 I think was my first fig? It seems like that timeframe was a pivot point for the realism filter got cranked to 11 and the hobby reallllyyy excelled. Seeing this Aragorn feels like THAT moment all over again.

When looking at stuff like that SS Aragorn, I can't help but wonder if they hobby would have been soured to me had I explored it at the time. Granted I was a kid back then....but. Even young me, who's birthday wishlists were filled with ToyBiz LOTR figs, I think would have scoffed at that as a product truth be told. I commend the holdouts who enjoyed it then, and saw the future well enough to hang in here until this moment.

It may be rose tinted glasses, but I think there were better Viggos than that in the ToyBiz line than what SS put out. But to be fair, they were using scanning tech at the time.

I really don't have any qualm giving LOTR it's due in my collection. It was MY thing for many years of my life. I have very fond memories of going with my Mom and looking for new ToyBiz figs together; she too was/is a big fan of LOTR and enjoyed those retail adventures with me. That experience was and is such a core memory to me that these releases are not only homages to the films but a link to warm memories of my past.

I’d be totally down for an InArt Indy. He is much like Aragorn Imo . So many have tried and failed.

I Can just imagine an InArt well proportioned figure with amazing sculpt, clothing and hat etc. q

These iconic characters would and for all covered in our collections.

Someone on FB posted a side by side of just the sculpts of this and Asmus Helms Deep. It was crazy the difference in quality. I’m a big supporter and defender of Asmus. Not even close. Asmus has no one to blame but themselves. I think they’ve proven on different figures that they can put out a good sculpt. Aragorn was not one of them. I even feel kind of foolish defending the sculpt in the past. I have never ordered two of the exact same figure before. I’m thinking of doing that just so I can have two sculpts. This is beautiful. Aragorn is my favorite character and this will finally do him justice.

I don't know, this seems fairly comparable. Asmus gives you an extra head and a large base for $300, but you don't get anywhere near the gear that InArt gives you for $335.

Not sure where the 'absurd price' comes in.

View attachment 616858

View attachment 616859
But but.. the asmus one comes with an "interactive DIOARMA"!!

This is only $30 more and you are saying it's only 1.5x better?
View attachment 616860

You’ve seen Amsus head sculpts before I presume? They shared in these boards that they went through at least 4 redesigns of the Helms Deep Aragorn while trying to capture the best likeness possible and what we got was… far from the best likeness possible but the best they could manage.

Charging more would not have enabled them to suddenly produce a better sculpt. Asking for more money doesn’t increase talent or skill. They are simply lacking in that department.

Well said, guys!!

As I previously said, even if asmus charge InArt price, they will never deliver anything close to InArt's quality.
They tried to cover the lack of likeness with big chunky bases, but in the end, people want to have the figure as portrayed by the real actors, not having a 1/6 cosplayers or stunt man with a chunky base.

asmus' dx Ash was in the same $300+ range, and look what happened.. now people are spending more money to fix it.
I ended up paying $350 for asmus' deluxe arwen (with poor likeness, and packaged in a dull brown shipper box).. that's more than standard HT price and now that's even more than the regular InArt Aragorn's price!
So yeah, charging more doesn't make them deliver a better sculpt/product.

And yes, would love to have InArt Indy, movie TMNT or Ghostbusters!!

Last edited:
Back