IKEA Detolf Shelf Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, I got two of them a few weeks ago and they are nice for what they are. I have some GG stuff in there until I get my 12" SS collection started. They are great for 12" but not if you have to pay that hefty shipping charge. I honestly don't know how they could ship and not get cracked or broken. They're not packed all that well and they are pretty heavy.

They are nice and if you happen to be near an IKEA definately worth it. But the shipping charge is insane and certainly would've deterred me as well. I gave one to my girlfriend for her Twisted Rabbits and they look great in there as well.

Bought one two weeks ago. Haven't put it up yet...

Drove to ikea and picked it up for $77.50

:D

Mini-Rock said:
Not worth it at all tom. The Detolf is a decent unit (I have on myself) but it isn't even a completely sealed unit. Dust can, and will, still get in. I know there are many that like'em, but I don't care for the Detolf's at all.

While they are not sealed units you can buy some cheap weatherstriping and use it around the doors to pretty much seal it if you wanted to. I use the Deltofs for some of my statues and busts without any weatherstriping and they have stayed pretty much dust free for the last 5-6 months.

wookilar8 said:
Tom, I sympathize with you on this subject. I'm also looking to purchase a glass display case for my PFs. I think I'm buying something from these guys www.astorclub.com/display.aspx?id=262&mcat=15. Their prices are by far the cheepest around. They also have free shipping within the continental USA. BTW the one I'm buying is only $625.00 w/free shipping! www.astorclub.com/detail.aspx?id=8652&cat=262&mcat=15

Hey Wooki, I checked out that site you recommended and they do have some nice cabinets. Like all of us, I'm looking for a new case to display my figures too (now that I have another 11 on order :google ).

Have you called them to see what the actual shelf diameters are inside the cabinet on the one you're getting? And the max height inside with the shelves to see if you can indeed get 6 shelves worth of 12" figures in there?

I'm considering this one...

https://www.astorclub.com/detail.aspx?id=8435&mcat=15&cat=262

Natrix said:
While they are not sealed units you can buy some cheap weatherstriping and use it around the doors to pretty much seal it if you wanted to. I use the Deltofs for some of my statues and busts without any weatherstriping and they have stayed pretty much dust free for the last 5-6 months.
can you either post pics or send them to me. im interested in seeing this, because if it works i can have my brother go buy 3 or 4 of them and keep them in his garage until the next time i plan to visit.

also, do the glass shelves feel stable?? what is the maximum weight for each one?? i see that some of you guys put your PF on them... obviously they can take the weight, but i want to know what their maximum recommendations are. :emperor

I think the shelves are rated for 13 lbs. but that is pretty conservative and I am sure that is to protect themselves from any liability in case the shelves are overloaded.

I will see if I can get some pictures posted or sent to you.

13 sounds about right. Ikea.no says 6 kg... So no Sauron for that display cabinet...

Wor-Gar said:
Hey Wooki, I checked out that site you recommended and they do have some nice cabinets. Like all of us, I'm looking for a new case to display my figures too (now that I have another 11 on order :google ).

Have you called them to see what the actual shelf diameters are inside the cabinet on the one you're getting? And the max height inside with the shelves to see if you can indeed get 6 shelves worth of 12" figures in there?

I'm considering this one...

https://www.astorclub.com/detail.aspx?id=8435&mcat=15&cat=262

Wor-Gar, I haven't contacted them yet, but soon plan to. I'm probably going to have to get stronger glass shelves because I plan to use it for my PFs. I've shopped around and they're definitly the cheapest around.

Natrix said:
I think the shelves are rated for 13 lbs. but that is pretty conservative and I am sure that is to protect themselves from any liability in case the shelves are overloaded.

Indeed 13 lbs. is the recommendation, but I don't think Vader is even 10, is he?

I love love love IKEA. When I lived in TX, they didn't have one in Austin, so I'd drive 3 hours to Houston at least 3-4 times a year to go to the IKEA. Of course, I'd make up other excuses to visit Houston other than just the IKEA, but the real reason would be IKEA. Now there's one about 10 minutes from me in Burbank... Wooo Hoooo!

Seriously, it's like an addiction. The first time I set foot in IKEA I was in there for like 6 hours! If you haven't ever had the pleasure of the experience, I highly recommend it... get thee to an IKEA!! Especially if you are short on space - those Swedes are space-management geniuses, I'm tellin' ya. :chew

Plus were other than IKEA can you get four hot dogs, two large soda's and a frozen yogurt with chocolate sauce for less than five bucks. :wacky

At RC Willey, you can eat as many hot dogs as you can and all the soda you can drink on most Staurdays and holiday sells for FREE! I got you beat! I'm really thinking about the Detolfs. Anyone know how many 12" figures can be placed on each shelve?

But I don't like hot dogs...

Just got the call that my large curio cabinet is being delivered tomorrow. Once I get that set up I will have a better idea how much additional display space I need.

Buttmunch said:
At RC Willey, you can eat as many hot dogs as you can and all the soda you can drink on most Staurdays and holiday sells for FREE! I got you beat! I'm really thinking about the Detolfs. Anyone know how many 12" figures can be placed on each shelve?

I think the space is more a question then than the weight. Each figure is about 500 g max? and a shelf holds 6 kilos, that is 12 figures - a bit crowded?

Buttmunch said:

I love my Detolfs and have three 12 inch figures per shelf.
They are not dust free as someone said above but I like the
idea that you can see your figures at any angle. I also put
in my stone wall on one shelf with Vamp Buffy and Dru and
it takes the weight for that fine.

Ikea is my favorite place to go on a Saturday morning.
They are 45 minutes away and I love the 1 dollar breakfast.

Back