IKEA Detolf Shelf Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Nartorp from like 10 years ago that is currently my 12" figure case...and I need a lot more room. Mine's like a weird purple/blue color and the dark background just hides the figures dressed in black. Plus the actual shelf space is like 13" by 15" total.

My plan was to get 2 Detolfs -- I like the look of the glass all around; more open...but I don't like that the shelves are not moveable. Still, for $60. I mean, that's the cost of one figure.

I think I may put the two together and not install the glass sides so I can run the figures straight across between the two detolfs. Makes like a 33" case.

Of course I may splurge and get this...

https://www.astorclub.com/detail.aspx?id=8435&mcat=15&cat=262

Fortunately my nearest IKEA is a 5 minute car journey away so I don't have to worry about shipping costs. I have 1 Detolf so far and think it's pretty good. I'll probably get another one for my GG mini busts and Legends In 3 Dimensions busts as my Sideshow 12" figures are going in the one I already have.

Darklord Dave said:
That Astor Club is a great find - lots of different curio cabinets - I like this one...
https://www.astorclub.com/detail.aspx?id=8433&mcat=15&cat=262
i like your taste dave!!! thats out of my budget though. i have a question... how well do they sit on carpet?? because they are so tall and slim, do they seem like they will tip over. ive been thinking about putting hardwood flooring in my gameroom/ den and this would be one of the reasons to do it. i just want to make sure the cabinets sit securely and evenly on the floor. :emperor

how well do they sit on carpet??

That's a question for Astor Club I'd think. Although here in earthquake country I anchor everything to the wall. In fact, the Ikea Billy's with glass doors MUST be anchored I found. When both doors are open they are inclined to tip over when empty or only filled with curios (instead of books).

This is by far the best use of the Detolf I have seen:

dsc02242.jpg.w560h420.jpg

That's from Frost19's collection. Now, that is how to use the Detolf's. :chew

That's just what I was thinking -- 2 detolfs put together. That works great.

Now if I could only fit that bloody 28" long 16" wide JAWS maquette I've just bought!!! :confused:

how do you put the two detolf's together?? do they come ready for that?? or did he do some customization?? i like the way they look and if its easy to connect them i would probably get about 4 of them myself.

This cost me a lot more than two Detolfs, but I got free shipping!!!

cabinet8xm.jpg

My hardcover catalog is saving a spot for Aragorn on Brego, who should be here in just a few more weeks.

The nice thing about this unit is that it has additional outlets inside so that you can plug in any pieces that require electricity. If I ever move my Sentinel diorama or Vader/Kenobi inside, power won't be a problem. It also makes it easy to install additional lights, which I will be doing for the lower shelves so that my horse and rider pieces get all the light they need. I would have liked to get them higher up, but three of them on one shelf is just too much of a load for the glass.

Also, included in the cost is a personalized brass engraved plaque that you send away for. Mine's going to say: "Sideshow Collectibles." (Of course!)

I will probably rearrange this thing about five times a day for three weeks before I finally decide that I have it just right... :D

tomandshell said:
This cost me a lot more than two Detolfs, but I got free shipping!!!

cabinet8xm.jpg

My hardcover catalog is saving a spot for Aragorn on Brego, who should be here in just a few more weeks.

The nice thing about this unit is that it has additional outlets inside so that you can plug in any pieces that require electricity. If I ever move my Sentinel diorama or Vader/Kenobi inside, power won't be a problem. It also makes it easy to install additional lights, which I will be doing for the lower shelves so that my horse and rider pieces get all the light they need. I would have liked to get them higher up, but three of them on one shelf is just too much of a load for the glass.

Also, included in the cost is a personalized brass engraved plaque that you send away for. Mine's going to say: "Sideshow Collectibles." (Of course!)

I will probably rearrange this thing about five times a day for three weeks before I finally decide that I have it just right... :D

That's awesome, Tom.

So...how big is it? Where did you get it? What are the actual shelf dimensions?

:D

https://www.curiocabinets.com/contemporary/dark-wood/products.cfm?action=view&key=PUL053

Dimensions are 50" wide, 21" deep, 80" high. However, those are the total cabinet dimensions, including the decorative molding/woodwork. The shelves themselves are about 45" wide, 16" deep, with spacers for the adjustable shelves every two inches vertically (with a gap of a few inches right around the middle). My shelves at work are about 12" deep, so the extra four inches here helps a lot and gives you the chance to turn the larger pieces (like Legolas & Gimli) at an angle. I just wish I had room for some more statues, like my Galadrim Archer, King of the Dead, Uruk-Hai Berserker...

Nice. There's some really great cases there, plus I like the free shipping. Probably saves you another $100 easy at those weights.

With the six shelves, can you space them all so they can fit 12" figures. You don't have to do the math, just cuious if they could be spaced like 15" each or do you end up with one short shelf?

I need something like this to fit the Jaws maquette I'm getting (28x16x14). Detolf just doesn't cut it for really large pieces. But I'm really limited in floor space. This one's too wide at 50". But there is one at 33" I'm considering now, thanks to you. Its 33x14...so I'm guessing the actual shelf space, using your math, is more like 28x11 max. But that damn shark maquette!!!

Stunning Tom, very classy; you should be proud to look at that! :D

Nice cabinet, looks awesome. Definitely looks nicer and more high end than the Detolf. You get what you pay for certainly applies.

Although I still may get more Detolfs :D

thats beautiful tom. amazing, the lioghting its perfect, it adds so much, like the MOrgul Lord looks so real:google

Thanks! The lighting looks about 100 times better in person. The pics don't do it justice. The statues look very realistic in this light, and much nicer than they ever have before. It's also great to have a mirror in the back, because it not only reflects the light, it also allows you to see both sides of the statues. I added the Galadrim Archer this afternoon. It's going to take me a long time to decide on a final arrangement for this thing...

archer3un.jpg

awesome!! yeah i was checking out the website you gave us. they have some great--and expensive stuff. i like yours the best though, locking / sliding door, extra outlets, mirrors to show off the back, and it looks beautiful to top it off. looks like im gonna start saving for one now.:monkey5

Well, it took me a few years to have enough stuff to justify something like this, much less afford it. I could have put the money towards a Cave Troll or Sam & Bill or Orthanc that would sit exposed on a cheap bookshelf, but I thought that it was time to get these things in a worthy display case. If you can spare the money, I really think it's worth it.

My wife even likes it! It looks classy enough that she enjoys having it in the living room. It's really a nice piece of furniture and makes my statues look costly and "respectable." I was going to take out the Mumak to make room for some others, and she told me I couldn't because "it looks to good to take out." So when you have a dying elephant statue in your front room and your wife wants it to stay there, you know the cabinet was worth buying. :D

Back