If you could, would you choose the sexuality of your child?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What sexuality would you choose for your child?

• I'd choose straight

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • I'd choose gay

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wouldn't choose at all

Votes: 42 53.8%

• Total voters
Interesting little thread here.

He's completely wrong? You've mapped and decoded the entire human genome, huh? World class geneticists have yet to decisively conclude that homosexuality is predetermined, but you have the revealed truth? Glad to be in the presence of such incalculable genius, I guess...

I think whatever leads people to conclude there is some such thing as an altruistic gene is the same thing that brings them to conclude that there is a biological purpose to homosexuality. Group survival (or even the survival of a species' genetic code) is not what drives human behavior. I'd even argue that it's not what drives animal behavior. The basic observable motivation of all biological action is the survival of the individual organism. Some species have developed in ways such that the group is a primary tool to this end, but that is still the primary goal; not survival of the group, per se. It's a means to an end.

Genetic selection in humans is pointedly individualistic. Society can be a major boon to that goal, but it is not the goal itself. Evolution of a homosexual gene for the purpose of perpetuating the species via advanced childcare is something of which I'm extremely skeptical. I can see how homosexual family members would be helpful in childrearing, but designed for it? Not so sure of that.

Judging by the incredible risks many animals take just to breed and the considerable burden placed on mammals, esp. humans with the prolonged vulnerability of our offspring, one could argue that reproduction is directly opposed to personal survival.

There is a maternal as well as paternal instinct in most folks and we know better than to question someone when they say they'd willingly die to save their children's lives.

Without the impetus to reproduce and drive to help protect the young, evolution loses its explanatory power.

reproduction is over rated. the human population is still growing way more than any species; or have more lasting effect on this planet.

although I do fancied somehow I am special and that everyone is sterile or gone, so its my duty to reproduced(have sex) like a mad man. I just hope I am not kidnapped and/or tortured for my sperm, by a hoard of barbaric tribe of womens.

nevermind the last paragraph, maybe I should ask that hot girl at the gym. :naughty

So the purpose of your life is to breed?

Evolution has always been about the race to reproduce early and often. That's the story of the rest of our lives once adolescence hits. At least along the "survival of the species" route.

But actually I would agree that life is much more than that. Evolution as it currently stands, ultimately possesses no explanatory power anyway. :lol

There is a point at which time the "how" gives way to the unexplainable "what".

Well there you go. :lol

It's possible (by which I mean probable) that evolution is just a mechanism. It isn't goal-directed. Life is goal-directed (maintenance of the life process in the individual organism) but the process that gives rise to it may not be. The fact that there is homosexuality in many species (and more, sex exclusively for personal pleasure, i.e. dolphins, humans, etc.) gives the lie to reproduction being the ultimate goal.

Does it have hopes and dreams too?
No clue.

Uh... you're not against homosexuality or such, but homosexuality is not natural. Okaaaaay...
Sorry if I didn't elaborate what I meant there. For the 'natural' bit, I was just agreeing to the point you mentioned earlier about having biological grandchildren. And I would like that. I do not know if homosexuality is genetical or psychological though.

Sorry if I didn't elaborate what I meant there. For the 'natural' bit, I was just agreeing to the point you mentioned earlier about having biological grandchildren. And I would like that. I do not know if homosexuality is genetical or psychological though.

Ah, I get you. The fact that there's no substantive evolutionary benefit to homosexuality makes it apparent to me that homosexuality is not a genetic trait - though there might be something in the recent hypothesis that homosexuality is an epigenetic expression of one's DNA (here).

sure, that's why you have a straight son and a Lesbian daughter :lol. Really though, it would probably be the mother whose opinion matters the most, so chances of my ideal scenario happening is 0.1%

If your comment is directed at me, I don't have kids. That I know of. :monkey3

Anyway my original comment still stands. :lecture

Is it the same type of thing? Being a foot fetishist and being homosexual? To me it seems one is much broader and more fundamental. Wanting to knock one out on someone's feet is pretty damn specific. You have to do research to even find out that that's a thing. Not so the simple fact of being attracted to the opposite sex or the same sex as the case may be.

First off every fetish starts with fantasy and masterbation, what the original trigger is ,really is beside the point,as for the foot thing, your in ireland right?.you say you would have to research such a thing?.......you have the babe channels right? thats all they do 24 hours a day lolZ......the homosexual thing is more a part of the feminist agenda, everything is choice plenty of straight guys use sex as a weapon as a power thing and just for giggles and boredom in prision.

I think a more interesting discussion might be had in considering where you'd draw the line in choosing anything for your kid... get rid of a cancer gene, why not? But gender? Height? Eye colour? Etc.

The line is drawn by the parents/guardians/creators...they are in charge...simply as that...

Would actually like to hear your perspective on this?
tumblr_lyqjzmgnet1qdadoc.gif

Back