I wonder how the new LOTR Premuim Line will effect the value

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideshowpdx

Super Freak
Reaction score
of the non-premium line? I have already noticed the "value" on ebay of the LOTR Weta statues to come down quite a bit.

If you have Aragorn or Sam, etc....sell now! There is no way they will hold a $1000+ value.

You can always buy later for cheaper if you miss them too much or do not like the 1/4 version.

Gruson said:
If you have Aragorn or Sam, etc....sell now! There is no way they will hold a $1000+ value.

You can always buy later for cheaper if you miss them too much or do not like the 1/4 version.

I agree with Gruson on this one...

Really torn on this one now, I like that the Weta artists helped create the Polystone statues, but the quality was sometimes spotty. I know that I have certain characters only because they are part of the line, and now I wonder about holding onto this collection. I know I will certainly get a couple of the PF figures, but I might hold on to the poly just as a completist.

I would hope I can afford a few notables out of the PF line, like Aragorn, Frodo, Gandalf and Sam for the good side and Lurtz and a Ringwraith for the bad side!

I don't know I don't see these hurting or helping each other much at all. The poly pieces where the first run items that hit a lot of collectors hearts. I think these will be hits but I'm not sure they will hit so many fans hearts the same way. Time will tell though.

The divide lies in the absence of WETA on the PF, that will IMO keep the value strong in the 1/6 scale line.

Gruson said:

Ditto. The only ones I'm keeping are ones that aren't possible in the 1/4 format: RWOS, GOSF, Sauron, Baby Rog, Fell Beast, Mumak, Shelob, Gothmog.

Basically, the Rider+Steeds plus the creatures.

Weta

I think the fact that the 1/6 series originated from WETA means they will hold their value. Especially if Sideshow sets their edition sizes too high on the 1/4 figures.

elwood49 said:
Ditto. The only ones I'm keeping are ones that aren't possible in the 1/4 format: RWOS, GOSF, Sauron, Baby Rog, Fell Beast, Mumak, Shelob, Gothmog.

Basically, the Rider+Steeds plus the creatures.

Don't say not possible, these questions were raised with Brant and while nothing of course was confirmed or denied. He did mention that they are researching the possibilities of more complicated figures later on down the line like Rider with Steed pieces.

But I would imagine any humanoid type SS/Weta piece is bound to drop especially the higher priced ones that have already been mentioned. The ones right off the bat that I would say won't be affected either at all or not much is Daddy Rog, Cave Troll, Stone Trolls, and Fell Beast.

oxbeard said:
Don't say not possible, these questions were raised with Brant and while nothing of course was confirmed or denied. He did mention that they are researching the possibilities of more complicated figures later on down the line like Rider with Steed pieces.

But I would imagine any humanoid type SS/Weta piece is bound to drop especially the higher priced ones that have already been mentioned. The ones right off the bat that I would say won't be affected either at all or not much is Daddy Rog, Cave Troll, Stone Trolls, and Fell Beast.

Yeah, I agree with that completely Ox. Wow, can you imagine a 1/4 RWOS!:google

elwood49 said:
Yeah, I agree with that completely Ox. Wow, can you imagine a 1/4 RWOS!:google

Yeah, I know. That's really the first figure that crossed my mind. I really hope they end up doing it somewhere down the line. I only hope it is after I make my first billion :D I'm going to have to get me a penthouse suite in the poorhouse :horror

As we've seen on this board, the PFs appeal to a slightly different collector than the statues. So I don't think there will be a huge drop in the statues values. There will always be those collectors out there that prefer one scale and format over the other.

Weta Workshop is the reason the SS LOTR line was so popular. The folks
who worked on the movie props with Peter Jackson, Richard Taylor,
Alan Lee, John Howe, all the actors who approved sculpts, etc....

All future LOTR releases will be judged against this original
SS Weta LOTR polystone line.

To me the $ value has always been unimportant.

Will be fun seeing y'all get excited again about new LOTR stuff! :duff

I also have mixed feelings about this. I would have preferred if sideshow did a 12" line or continued with the weta poly pieces. The 1/4 PF much closer to poly and can potentially out do it. Unfortunately for my wallet, because Mat Falls is such an amazing portrait sculptor, I have little doubt that the 1/4 LOTR line will be on par with the Star Wars line in terms of likeness. The environments and the sculpts that have less static poses will likely to continue to fare well.

I think initially it may hurt the poly line, but in the long run, it will probably keep the interest going, and weta will have the undeniable nostalgia closeness to the movies. The good thing is for those who missed out on the big 8, and maybe get a character with even better likeness. Legolas would be one 1/4 I would definately buy because they can't seem to get orlando right.

One big negative with this announcement is where can someone get more space because it is near critical mass. I guess sideshow is counting on people to turn over their collection and get rid of their polystone and get PF instead. From now on, it's probably going to be a matter of picking and choosing unless you live in a museum.

Darklord Dave said:
As we've seen on this board, the PFs appeal to a slightly different collector than the statues. So I don't think there will be a huge drop in the statues values. There will always be those collectors out there that prefer one scale and format over the other.

Exactly why I think both lines will go strong.

I dont see how the 1/4 scale are going to better than the statues. After getting my 1/4 Luke I haven't been to happy about SS 1/4 figures. I just dont see pose's being "action like" when compared to the statues. 1/4 Scales seem like Dolls to me. To me its a sculpted head on a body, and its too expensive. The statue's every inch is art work, Art vs. Dolls. Thats why the statues should hold their value. And my comparison is more toward the human figures. 1/4 scale hellboy looks excellent, but here we have alot of humans. This is all from my 1/4 scale museum quality Luke, which I expected much more. And I think the major problem with Luke is the paint-Job. I also have Wolverine who I like, But again a head on a body.

Theres no way a 1/4 scale Saruman will be better than the Saruman Bust. And the same goes for most of the bust. To me the 1/4 scale figures are just bigger version of the 12inch dolls. And now we have 12 inch Star wars with Luke being 1st, again bad move. I like the Jedi Luke but I'm sick of the star wars figues all being from 30 years ago. They been done every which way. But the comparison of LOTR 1/4 vs Statues is similar to the Star Wars 1/4 scale vs 12inch.

I'm happy with the statues. I hope everyone gets scared and sells. The values will drop, But long term they'll be higher then what they are today. And wait for the Hobbit, more statues will come, the days of SS/WETA may not be over. But I'll garantee somebody pickups up the statues for the Hobbit.

I assume Sauron in not in the picture. But how can he be a 1/4 scale? All the detail can it be done. Luke has my mind blurred. I dont like the clothing on the 1/4 scale figures, but something tells me I'm way off. I guess I'll have to wait for the pictures of the 1st LOTR. The hype alone will make this figure sell out quick, the edition has to be high.

The 1st figure should be Legolas, he never came out right.

The Hobbit The Hobbit, dont forget!

Back