Hyperkin RetroN 5 Releasing June 9, 2014

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this today only lasted a few hours and power failure cause of the pins inside its so hard to pull the game out ******** system.

I got my Retron 5 this past week (I hung in there despite Hyperkin's lackluster PR). I actually like this system. It has some bugs, but hopefully they get fixed.

I pre-ordered from Amazon back in September for $76.19, and I ended up getting free shipping because of the delay, so that's all it cost me.

I also picked up another unit from ThinkGeek. It arrived with a broken controller, so they gave me a full refund, including shipping, no questions asked. Since the system functions with original controllers from each system, it was no biggie...and I was also able to fix the controller later on (the plastic d-pad piece wasn't fully clipped into the circuit board)...so, I'll take the free system :)

Right now, it seems the biggest bug I can find is that the system cannot copy saved games to or from any Genesis game that I own. Does anyone else know if this is a know issue? Most SNES games I have tested work, but some games eitehr won't copy saves from the cart (Secret of Mana), or won't copy to the cart (Super Punch Out and 1 or 2 others).

Also, Sonic & Knuckles pass through feature does not appear to be working (I think this is a known issue).

I got my Retron 5 this past week (I hung in there despite Hyperkin's lackluster PR). I actually like this system. It has some bugs, but hopefully they get fixed.

I pre-ordered from Amazon back in September for $76.19, and I ended up getting free shipping because of the delay, so that's all it cost me.

I also picked up another unit from ThinkGeek. It arrived with a broken controller, so they gave me a full refund, including shipping, no questions asked. Since the system functions with original controllers from each system, it was no biggie...and I was also able to fix the controller later on (the plastic d-pad piece wasn't fully clipped into the circuit board)...so, I'll take the free system :)

Right now, it seems the biggest bug I can find is that the system cannot copy saved games to or from any Genesis game that I own. Does anyone else know if this is a know issue? Most SNES games I have tested work, but some games eitehr won't copy saves from the cart (Secret of Mana), or won't copy to the cart (Super Punch Out and 1 or 2 others).

Also, Sonic & Knuckles pass through feature does not appear to be working (I think this is a known issue).
Yea i was so excited for this system it has lots of problems is it hard to get your carts out ?Did you update the console though SD card? your problem with the saves is a known problem.

Yea i was so excited for this system it has lots of problems is it hard to get your carts out ?Did you update the console though SD card? your problem with the saves is a known problem.

I did update to the current version of the software. I only use the SNES and Genesis slots...yes, they have a death grip. It's a little easier to get the carts out when you pull at a corner instead of trying to pull it straight up and out.

I did update to the current version of the software. I only use the SNES and Genesis slots...yes, they have a death grip. It's a little easier to get the carts out when you pull at a corner instead of trying to pull it straight up and out.

Random gaming knowledge: The SNES had an "eject" button because Nintendo knows that kids like to press large buttons. It was never actually needed to get the games out.

Random gaming knowledge: The SNES had an "eject" button because Nintendo knows that kids like to press large buttons. It was never actually needed to get the games out.

Oh yeah...forgot about the eject button!

I find the snes games easier to get out than genesis on this machine. Especially sonic and knuckles...it just doesn't want to let go of that one!

Back