1/6 HT Star Wars Figure Deterioration / Staining Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody have the fix for a stained Han Solo shirt?

View attachment 509060

Yep, I was able to fix mine like this:

Take the shirt off, mix up a small amount of bleach with some water, then use a cotton swab to apply it to the stained area. Might need to apply it a few times to get it lightened up enough. Then rinse out with water and dry. Worked like a charm on my Han?s shirt getting rid of like 90% of the staining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read through this thread and it scared the heck out of me. The thought of one day feeling that my collection was finally "complete" only to see them rot before my eyes.

Just pulled out any potentially problematic figures and haven't seen any issues so far. I guess keeping them in the shippers, with all of the factory protections intact has helped. Keeping them in clasp lid bins out of the sun, in a very dry basement away from any mechanicals helps too. You've all given my food for thought. I planned on displaying everything after I renovate my home (one day). I am now including plans for humidity gauges and AC in the basement as well. All this time I was under the impression that once I got my HT character that I was set for life with that character. I wonder if HT would even consider selling reissued clothing kits for the more problematic figures?

I’ll be 55 in a decade. Even if I’m still enjoying this hobby, which is not a given, I will probably be collecting what’s being released then - possibly, if not probably - much better figures made with the kind of technology we can only dream of at the moment. The last thing I imagine 55 year old me doing is crying because my ten year old HT 40th anniversary Vader’s suit is rotting lol. I look back at what I was collecting a decade ago, and most of it means extremely little to me nowadays.

I?ll be 55 in a decade. Even if I?m still enjoying this hobby, which is not a given, I will probably be collecting what?s being released then - possibly, if not probably - much better figures made with the kind of technology we can only dream of at the moment. The last thing I imagine 55 year old me doing is crying because my ten year old HT 40th anniversary Vader?s suit is rotting lol. I look back at what I was collecting a decade ago, and most of it means extremely little to me nowadays.

Sounds like you've been paying Hasbro prices product that costs everyone else $250 a pop.:lol

Sounds like you've been paying Hasbro prices product that costs everyone else $250 a pop.:lol

I wouldn’t be collecting these if I didn’t afford them. ‘Affording’ something means different things to different people: for some it means dropping 300 without feeling the pinch, for others it means paying in installments, for others still it means eating toast for three weeks until the next payday and once that car needs fixing it’s off to FB to sell the collection. Speaking for myself, as we all do I’m sure, I wouldn’t be collecting these if I had to make the financial sacrifices some people have to make. Maybe if I did, I’d weep a bit, yes. But at the end of the day, HT isn’t forcing anyone to buy their stuff. I buy it because I like it, with the full knowledge that the actual quality of the materials used isn’t on a par with the price and the supposedly ‘elite’ cachet the company has in collecting circles.

I?ll be 55 in a decade. Even if I?m still enjoying this hobby, which is not a given, I will probably be collecting what?s being released then - possibly, if not probably - much better figures made with the kind of technology we can only dream of at the moment. The last thing I imagine 55 year old me doing is crying because my ten year old HT 40th anniversary Vader?s suit is rotting lol. I look back at what I was collecting a decade ago, and most of it means extremely little to me nowadays.

I look back at what I was collecting 40 year ago and it means quite a bit to me. But that's just me.

I wouldn’t be collecting these if I didn’t afford them. ‘Affording’ something means different things to different people: for some it means dropping 300 without feeling the pinch, for others it means paying in installments, for others still it means eating toast for three weeks until the next payday and once that car needs fixing it’s off to FB to sell the collection. Speaking for myself, as we all do I’m sure, I wouldn’t be collecting these if I had to make the financial sacrifices some people have to make. Maybe if I did, I’d weep a bit, yes. But at the end of the day, HT isn’t forcing anyone to buy their stuff. I buy it because I like it, with the full knowledge that the actual quality of the materials used isn’t on a par with the price and the supposedly ‘elite’ cachet the company has in collecting circles.

Why would you presume it's an issue of cost?

Why would you presume it's an issue of cost?

I agree, the value is in collecting and not what it's worth or what it costs.

But even if the money spent didn't matter, there should still be a desire to take care of and preserve your collection which I think most people here try to do. Aside from the people that take their figures hiking and swimming for photos, but that's a different kind of enjoyment.

It doesn't matter what gets released years from now. The figures I have now will mean something to me, including the experiences I've had owning them, talking about them here, waiting for them to arrive, talking to my spouse about them, or watching the film or show they're from with them.

It's important to keep these maintained properly for a variety of reasons. Not just sentimental, but practical as well.

Hot Toys is not going to revisit every figure they've made. They don't have the time or production capacity to do that. There will be some evergreen releases with no replacement in the future.

Last edited:
I agree, the value is in collecting and not what it's worth or what it costs.

But even if the money spent didn't matter, there should still be a desire to take care of and preserve your collection which I think most people here try to do. Aside from the people that take their figures hiking and swimming for photos, but that's a different kind of enjoyment.

It doesn't matter what gets released years from now. The figures I have now will mean something to me, including the experiences I've had owning them, talking about them here, waiting for them to arrive, talking to my spouse about them, or watching the film or show they're from with them.

It's important to keep these maintained properly for a variety of reasons. Not just sentimental, but practical as well.

Hot Toys is not going to revisit every figure they've made. They don't have the time or production capacity to do that. There will be some evergreen releases with no replacement in the future.

Well said. I appreciate the sentiment. You've restored my faith.

As a kid I was raised to take good care of my things. First my toys, then my tools, cars, homes, etc. I guess it's just something that stuck with me. Having the means to buy a new drill press doesn't mean you don't take good care of your old drill press.

One day in October of 2012 a hurricane sent a 4' wall of water into my 1920s built, ocean side community. My beloved childhood Kenner Star Wars figures were far from mint. The toys were well played with, but they were mine and held many memories. Memories of happier times. My parents' house a few blocks down, the housed that in grew up, in was destroyed along with my old toys that were kept there. The mixture of salt water, diesel fuel from the local marina, and human waste form the nearest sewer processing plant did what time had not been able to do. I've spent the past 8 years restoring and replacing my vintage SW and Joe collections. I promised myself that I'd never let that happen again.

It's never been about money to me. I take pride in taking care of what I consider to be works of art. Most of the HTs 6th scale figures have hand painted portraits. A lot of work has been put into these toys. They deserve respect. Ensuring that the figures endure for my children is a charge that I take with satisfaction. Just my view of it.

One day in October of 2012 a hurricane sent a 4' wall of water into my 1920s built, ocean side community. My beloved childhood Kenner Star Wars figures were far from mint. The toys were well played with, but they were mine and held many memories. Memories of happier times. My parents' house a few blocks down, the housed that in grew up, in was destroyed along with my old toys that were kept there. The mixture of salt water, diesel fuel from the local marina, and human waste form the nearest sewer processing plant did what time had not been able to do. I've spent the past 8 years restoring and replacing my vintage SW and Joe collections. I promised myself that I'd never let that happen again.

I wholeheartedly agree with with everything you said, but I am very sorry to hear about this part. Both for the loss of homes which is traumatic enough, but the loss of the collectibles inside and memories made there.

That is definitely one of the worst case scenarios for anyone, and a nightmare for any collector. My spouse has had many childhood things taken from them and destroyed, and I know that it is a kind of loss that never leaves you.

I am happy to hear that you have been working to piece together your collection again. I wish you all the best in that journey.

Well said. I appreciate the sentiment. You've restored my faith.
it.

Your faith in what, in your opinion being the only valid one out there?

Did my divergent views stress you out?

Should I spend the rest of my days checking for my cracks in my Luke’s boots instead of enjoying these figures while I have them (and while I can still see, lol?)

Your faith in what, in your opinion being the only valid one out there?

Did my divergent views stress you out?

Should I spend the rest of my days checking for my cracks in my Luke’s boots instead of enjoying these figures while I have them (and while I can still see, lol?)

You're the one that sounds stressed. Are you okay? Do you need some orange juice?

You're the one that sounds stressed. Are you okay? Do you need some orange juice?

I’m not, neither stressed nor worried about these deteriorating. I made my point, nothing more to add, really. If you guys wanna keep stressing over your ‘investments’ - the investments you made with money you barely have - be my guests :p

I’m not, neither stressed nor worried about these deteriorating. I made my point, nothing more to add, really. If you guys wanna keep stressing over your ‘investments’ - the investments you made with money you barely have - be my guests :p

lol You got salty about "divergent views" in response to a post someone made about losing their entire home and possessions in a flood.

lol You got salty about "divergent views" in response to a post someone made about losing their entire home and possessions in a flood.

If anything, you’d think that people who went through such an experience would have learned their lesson about the transitory nature of material things. And yet here they are, worrying about the pleather on their Darth Vaders. I was in a taxi once, the driver was from Rwanda, his family had been butchered by fellow Rwandans, he spent half the trip telling me to get some perspective regarding some minor first world problems I was going through, that perspective was important, and again, that his father in law died before his eyes with a matchete stuck in his head. Then some other guy in front of us stops in the middle of the street, starts unloading some crap, nothing major, and the taxi driver gets out and starts a fight like this other guy had just beheaded his mother. So much for perspective. Same thing with the other poster really. Loses everything, and instead of learning his lesson, he worries about his toys. What a world.

I?ve wanted a sixth scale Ahsoka Tano for a long time, and I preordered her. But the rubber arms terrify me and I?m tempted to cancel.

Will they still deteriorate if I leave it in a museum pose?

Back