1/6 HT Star Wars Figure Deterioration / Staining Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dx Bespin Luke boots are starting to break away..... The felt like boots seems to have a short life span

Enviado desde mi SM-P550 mediante Tapatalk

My dx Bespin Luke boots are starting to break away..... The felt like boots seems to have a short life span

The boots on my HT Han Solo are shot. I saw a pair of Sideshow Jedi Luke boots on eBay. Would those work as a replacement?

Can you post pics? Some cracking or disintegration throughout?

The Luke Bespin is inching closer to 10 years old (like that's an excuse for a very expensive figure to degrade...) so I suppose that's a fair amount of time, but the HT Han is only a little over five years old.

The Luke Bespin is inching closer to 10 years old (like that's an excuse for a very expensive figure to degrade...) so I suppose that's a fair amount of time, but the HT Han is only a little over five years old.

844C2736-9667-49B7-B2F4-3133FFEB308C.jpg

80BFF21D-A17C-447A-9560-D9CE95B7127A.jpg

3CB209B8-921B-4CA3-B960-FFE276D90469.jpg

Hard to say if its the same type of manufacture but the pleather is slightly different and the Tarkin boots are a bit longer from memory.

But yikes, that's bad. Was that Han figure more "posed" on display, or just neutral pose the whole time?

I really thought that pleather boots going like that was a problem for DID figs from 5-10 years ago. It really calls into question pretty much any pleather boot, no matter how recent. I've always said I prefer sculpted plastic to pleather but I often seem to be alone in that. Sculpted plastic done well can look so much batter than the slightly toy (though perceived as "quality" because it appears to be leather material) look of pleather boots.

I'm so close to getting Solo Maul, but the thing that's stopping me is the costume deteriorating, is it a safe bet to assume it'll happen to Maul?

I know it looks like it is but his outfit isnt pleather. I wouldnt worry

I know it looks like it is but his outfit isnt pleather. I wouldnt worry

Initial reports said it wasn't pleather, but more like a silky fabric. In hand though it's a fabric backing with some kind of plastic/rubber surface bonded to it.

No idea on the longevity of it, but I generally haven't had any trouble with pleather apart from self inflicted damage. The finish on Maul is a bit different to normal, but probably more easily repairable if necessary with that substance people have painted onto the likes of Catwoman's boots.

But yikes, that's bad. Was that Han figure more "posed" on display, or just neutral pose the whole time?.

I honestly don’t know. I just bought it from someone and that’s how it arrived. He said he had never opened it, but it must have been purchased from someone else before that as it had clearly been opened before.

Is it fixable or will I need to buy new boots?

You will need to buy new boots. The pleather has disintegrated and has left just the backing, in the ankle area.

I just checked the boots on my Han Solo and they look perfect. The ankle area is slightly wrinkled but that is how it came directly from the box. It's been an issue since day one. I find it hard to believe that they fell apart while in the box. I'm with you in that the figure was removed.

You just never know when a figure has sat in someone's storage unit or attic at high temps and/or high humidity for 18 months or more. Then they take it out and sell it and say "it's never been out of the box" but how it's been stored is the crucial thing.

That being said, there have been pleather and rubber issues with pretty new products. It's always possible that in the 5 days it takes UPS to ship the figure to you that it's sat for many hours in the back of trucks at pretty high temps and just that might be enough to begin the chemical reaction that leads to deterioration. And stuff like Sideshow products obviously go through weeks or even months in warehouses, trucks, ships etc from Asia where I'd assume there are periods where it's high humidity/temps.

I do recall getting a LOTR cave troll back in the early 2000s and the rubber face on that started cracking within only maybe 2 months of getting it.

It's always possible that in the 5 days it takes UPS to ship the figure to you that it's sat for many hours in the back of trucks at pretty high temps and just that might be enough to begin the chemical reaction that leads to deterioration. And stuff like Sideshow products obviously go through weeks or even months in warehouses, trucks, ships etc from Asia where I'd assume there are periods where it's high humidity/temps.

This is exactly the reason why they put those desiccant packets in the figures, to prevent what you describe from happening.

I honestly don’t know. I just bought it from someone and that’s how it arrived. He said he had never opened it, but it must have been purchased from someone else before that as it had clearly been opened before.

Is it fixable or will I need to buy new boots?

U could try peeling all that stuff off and recoating with flexible fabric paint, if the backing is still good. Vinyl repair kit, or something like that. Might not be perfect match but very close, and better quality.

I live in Louisiana were the temperature can fluctuate between 30 degrees within a day and the humidity is at 100%. As a recent 1/6th convert this thread encapsulates my fears about Hot Toys.

I know I need to get a dehumidifier asap. I look at my recently acquired 40th Vader and every day the pleather worries me. Hoping secret knowledge comes through this thread. Already learned a lot. I appreciate it.

I live in Louisiana were the temperature can fluctuate between 30 degrees within a day and the humidity is at 100%. As a recent 1/6th convert this thread encapsulates my fears about Hot Toys.

I know I need to get a dehumidifier asap. I look at my recently acquired 40th Vader and every day the pleather worries me. Hoping secret knowledge comes through this thread. Already learned a lot. I appreciate it.

1. Keep all collectibles in one room with a door, and invest in an air conditioner for that room, and keep the door closed as much as possible. Curtains for direct sunlight UV will help, but also insulates the room - keep closed as much as possible.
2. Yes, buy a dehumidifier to run on cooler temp days that are nevertheless high humidity (air conditioners are set to temp, and so will often not run in lower temps even if humidity is high) Keep in mind a dehumidifier running will raise the room temp by around 3 deg C.
3. Buy a temp/humidity gauge and monitor it. Aim for no more than 26 deg C at all times, ideally around 22 deg C. Aim for no more than 60% humidity. Anything more than this, turn on dehumidifier or A/C.
4. Make arrangements if you go on holiday in the Summer for A/C to run (either continuous or on temp setting)
5. If you have collectibles in cabinets (a good idea, as I think dust accumulation is also a factor) ensure there are adequate small gaps for ventilation and for conditioned air to penetrate.
6. Consider buying an air purifier to scoop out mold spores and run it in the collection room in higher humidity conditions. Dehumidiifying is the most important (as mold really can't reproduce much in low humidity air) but getting rid of mold spores is also important in such climates.
7. Use "moisture absorbers" (from supermarkets and hardware stores) in your cabinets and check/change them regularly. I hide them in the back of the display.

While it's impossible to protect your collection from heat and/or humidity 100% of the time, I think it's really about accumulated/consistent exposure to these factors over time that drives deterioration, so shielding your collection for the majority of the time will help hugely.

I do recall getting a LOTR cave troll back in the early 2000s and the rubber face on that started cracking within only maybe 2 months of getting it.

I have my original 2001 Electronic Cave Troll, still in the box.

To this day, it's one of the rarest example of the figure having a pristine face. When I bought it, it was straight out of the shipper box from Toys R Us (complete with cardboard inserts inside the open box). Still have it and the face hasn't deteriorated. Probably one of the few samples out there that has never been touched (neither the face or the try me levers on the back), ever.

I do wonder if it would turn to dust if I touched it.

I have my original 2001 Electronic Cave Troll, still in the box.

To this day, it's one of the rarest example of the figure having a pristine face. When I bought it, it was straight out of the shipper box from Toys R Us (complete with cardboard inserts inside the open box). Still have it and the face hasn't deteriorated. Probably one of the few samples out there that has never been touched (neither the face or the try me levers on the back), ever.

I do wonder if it would turn to dust if I touched it.

Wow, that's lucky but yeah - maybe wear gloves if you do touch it.:lol I was pretty bummed out when it happened, though I lived in Washington DC at the time and it gets pretty humid in the summer there (I didn't have A/C), and it was on my desk so I was playing with it quite a lot, so maybe skin oils contributed.

This is exactly the reason why they put those desiccant packets in the figures, to prevent what you describe from happening.

They do nothing for heat though obviously. I imagine humidlity is something that is slower to penetrate into stuff like pleather, but you put a pleather piece in high temps (like inside of a windows-up car in summer type temps that trucks can also get to) for several days of transport and I imagine that would accelerate a lot of chemical reactions.

I also really wonder about those desiccant packages for anything other than very small spaces like battery compartments for short periods of time - it's such a tiny amount of dessicant in a little single-serve sugar bag (or smaller - the HT battery ones are like 1" square.) For a full sized HT box (which can be a cubic foot of volume) I can't imagine those provide much more than a few weeks of humidity control, in reality probably barely enough to cover a month from factory to consumer opening the box, when that time period may in fact be many months for stuff that doesn't sell fast.

I also use "moisture absorbers" in all my collectible cabinets and I'm often shocked how quickly they fill up in humid conditions. The packages say 3 months protection but in peak humidity you'd be lucky to get 6 weeks.

I painted the parts with similar color, but the flash make it look very different
1b23aeab2f0ed44f47ee3e451f943792.jpg
dc3a022dc17d6f62c112b0aee59a30e2.jpg

Back