1/6 HT Star Wars Figure Deterioration / Staining Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I see posts about peeling pleather on FB, 99% of the time the poster is in the Philippines or somewhere like that where there's high humidity all year long. I live in San Diego and have had zero issues, I've had the HT Rogue One Vader for like 4 years and it's fine; even using the crotch grabber like that one pic from above. I remember I saw that months ago and jumped up and checked my Vader lol, totally fine.

Robes on the other hand are obviously an issue, I really need to get out and soak them all and help that issue. I've just kept them off the figures for the most part lately.

A lot of people panic about the faux leather, but it really comes down to UV rays, humidity, and temperature fluctuations combined with handling and posing.

A lot of the worst cases come out of Southeast Asia, where there is often a bad combination of high humidity, as well as wide fluctuations in the climate between rainy and dry seasons that can be hot and humid that wreaks havoc on all sorts of materials.

If the figures are kept in a relatively stable environment and maintained with an artificial leather conditioner/protectant, they are more likely to last.

You also want to make sure you're gentle with the figures. Leaving artificial leather and rubber in extreme poses for a long time will cause stress on the material. Likewise, be gentle with handling. I wear gloves, but just make sure your hands are really clean. And don't clean them with anything too abrasive. You want to use a soft microfiber cloth if you wipe anything down.

Ultimately, Star Wars is in a pretty good place because most of the faux leather is used for just boots, belts, and holsters. Most of the clothes are fabric, and armor is plastic. We don't have to worry as much with full rubber suits or things like faux leather jackets or trench coats as often, with some exceptions.

I'm using this, spray it in a cup and roll on with a cotton bud. Shines and restores anything, like the Keaton Batman suits as well. It's good for pleather, vinyl and doesn't harm them like those for real leather.

61eUqQkzJAL.jpg

The only figure I ever had some issues regarding pleather is the old ROTS Medicom Vader. The suit started to peel in the back of the figure, which is kinda weird. I sold it 4 years ago or so and told the buyer about it, he didn't mind. The ROTJ Medi Vader still looks ok, one small peel problem on the suit's right side, barely visible. I also have the old Hot Toys Appleseed Deunan with rubber suit and has no problem whatsoever. I'm using 303 as well

The only figure I ever had some issues regarding pleather is the old ROTS Medicom Vader. The suit started to peel in the back of the figure, which is kinda weird. I sold it 4 years ago or so and told the buyer about it, he didn't mind. The ROTJ Medi Vader still looks ok, one small peel problem on the suit's right side, barely visible. I also have the old Hot Toys Appleseed Deunan with rubber suit and has no problem whatsoever. I'm using 303 as well

How many times and how do you apply 303?

Thanks for the recommendation, jkno. I ordered a bottle of 303 yesterday. I've got quite a number of figures that will be benefiting from that treatment.

Do not spray directly, use a brush or cotton bud to apply.

Microfiber is best. You can use small microbes towels and applicators. They also make microfiber applicators for your finger tips.

You can also use a small sponge applicator for small areas.

For 303, put a very, very small amount on any vinyl surface and wipe off with a microfiber towel.

303 does not air dry. Less is more. Don’t saturate. Try to avoid getting it on fabric.

In a car, 303 would last about a month to a few months. In your home, it’s significantly longer so you should only have to do it sparingly.

You will not use a lot of the bottle, but replace it every 3 years or so. Detailing products expire. Out of date products won’t harm the material usually, but will lose potency over time and break down. 303 is inexpensive so not a huge deal.

(I have professional automotive detailing training/experience).

Do not spray directly, use a brush or cotton bud to apply.

Exactly. the bottle will last for a long time anyway

Microfiber is best. You can use small microbes towels and applicators. They also make microfiber applicators for your finger tips.

You can also use a small sponge applicator for small areas.

For 303, put a very, very small amount on any vinyl surface and wipe off with a microfiber towel.

303 does not air dry. Less is more. Don’t saturate. Try to avoid getting it on fabric.

In a car, 303 would last about a month to a few months. In your home, it’s significantly longer so you should only have to do it sparingly.

You will not use a lot of the bottle, but replace it every 3 years or so. Detailing products expire. Out of date products won’t harm the material usually, but will lose potency over time and break down. 303 is inexpensive so not a huge deal.

(I have professional automotive detailing training/experience).

Thanks for the great advice!

Do not allow the Jedi robes/cloaks to touch any part of the skin. I kept the neck protector on Luke and the collar of the cloak still stained the neck where it was touching. :(

2dPEIFe.jpg

I have also seen the cuffs of the black sleeves staining the hands. Furthermore on Anakin, not only the Jedi robe but the outer sleeve of his suit can stain his hand. I haven't heared anyone mention this.

Do not allow the Jedi robes/cloaks to touch any part of the skin. I kept the neck protector on Luke and the collar of the cloak still stained the neck where it was touching. :(

2dPEIFe.jpg

I have also seen the cuffs of the black sleeves staining the hands. Furthermore on Anakin, not only the Jedi robe but the outer sleeve of his suit can stain his hand. I haven't heared anyone mention this.

That's really kind of a massive fail on HT's part. I mean a character wearing a black outfit shouldn't have its skin stained by contact with the black outfit.

And this was an issue people were reporting straight out of the box when the figure originally shipped, so not like this happened after a few years of contact.

That's really kind of a massive fail on HT's part. I mean a character wearing a black outfit shouldn't have its skin stained by contact with the black outfit.

And this was an issue people were reporting straight out of the box when the figure originally shipped, so not like this happened after a few years of contact.

Many have recommended using acne oxy product. Have anyy of you tried it yet?

Many have recommended using acne oxy product. Have anyy of you tried it yet?

I did and can confirm it works. I put it on the stain thinly, heated it with a hair dryer, left it set for a couple hours and then wiped it off. Complete removal required repeating this process many times. But it is effective.

I'm so close to getting Solo Maul, but the thing that's stopping me is the costume deteriorating, is it a safe bet to assume it'll happen to Maul?

Back