How To Beat Collecting Addiction.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What works best for me is set up a monthly budget you can comfortably afford and stick with it.

I've been doing this for last six months, so far it has been working great. Also having a wife also helps 😂

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I've been unloading a ton of my collection these last few months. Some items are easy to part with, others are much harder. My man cave is done and the space is spoken for which has been a big help in deciding. The funds have been nice in helping to pay for a trip and then towards a car I've always wanted. So there is a payoff. Also I have never wanted an out-of-control, crowded collection that can't be appreciated.

Going forward, there's some big ticket items I'd like for sure. Thankfully the skyrocketing prices of collectibles has kept my acquisitions and budget down as I'm now (but not before) priced out of a lot of the items I used to regularly collect.

Responses here will vary with people's context and experiences, as well as their own nature. That said, there are some very good tips on refining your collecting to keep it in check for your own context with space, money, and anyone you live with (which sounds like your goal).

I've been collecting for decades. I tried refining. I find I do ok, and then have periods where I go too crazy and have to work to get it in check again. My dealbreaker was when I really took a look at the debt I've built up. Sure, I pay my bills, but with what I'm paying in interest on debt, it could support my hobby. So I'm selling quite a bit with the idea of paying down the debt and investing in my home (some repairs, but some went to finishing a room in the basement so I could ENJOY my collection rather than have it sit in storage).

I understand what it's like when it feels like an addiction. For me the joy of collecting was filling a void in my life and a fun distraction (and I thought more healthy than other activities). Maybe that applies to you upon reflection?

I'm not going to repeat some of the good tips on here, but I'm glad this thread is here. I know for many of you it's not a problem, but for some of us it's something we have to work hard to maintain a balance with. It can be managed. Good luck and I hope the thread helps you find the happy medium for you and yours. :)

I am new to collecting and have a fair few pre-orders currently with Sideshow and about to make my first Prime 1 order. I wanted some advice from seasoned collectors because I don't have the most space in the world, but its enough for a decent collection. I am also not scraping the bottom of the barrel in regards to money, but I am not wealthy. My dilemma is I cant decide whether to collect from all three of the lines I grew up with and love - Marvel, DC and Star Wars, or just to focus on one line and have a refined collection. I find that most of my pre-orders so far are for Marvel characters, problem is if I choose Marvel as my collection focus then I will miss out of Batman and Superman statues, two characters that I love. Would love to hear peoples advice and thoughts.

Focus on your favorite characters and not the thematic. That or play, if I am going to spend 500$ on a statue would I choose my favorite DC character over some random Star Wars character?

Focus on your favorite characters and not the thematic. That or play, if I am going to spend 500$ on a statue would I choose my favorite DC character over some random Star Wars character?

I love a lot of characters from all 3 franchises although I will only buy the ones I love, I'm not going to just buy a Quicksilver cause hes Marvel. Just think if I refine my collection then it wont be as stressful if I want too many of them. Problem is with XM, Prime 1 and Sideshow there are so many statues coming out to keep up and collect all the ones you want.

It isn't an addiction. It's a choice. If you want to stop ... knock it off. Put the money somewhere it's tougher to spend (like a savings account at a credit union that's 30-miles away, with no cards or online access). Cut up your credit cards. Wait a week or two between deciding to buy something and actually doing so to let the luster wear off. Whatever.

It's just lack of discipline. Do better.

SnakeDoc

Addiction v discipline. Tough sides to land on. I was definitely had an addition for YEARS, but was able to master it into a discipline. Without a doubt, I was addicted to spending countless miles driving to stores AND making sure I had enough on preorder to fill my collective interests. Money wasn't so much an issue and I never considered space -but both those things eventually caught up with me.

Thanks for your reply and advice! Im not addicted, Im actually new to collecting but I just want to understand what I would like to collect so I have some focus and can make most of the money I spend. I have loved so many characters since I was a kid and to try and collect all the statues I would like to would be difficult as I will run out of space and funds quickly. Think I'm going to collect Marvel and Star Wars statues, I would love to collect DC but I like 3 times as many Marvel characters so made a choice to collect Marvel.

1o7dwt.jpg

Give it a few years the excitement of owning everything under the sun will where off and you will be much more selective. Also, nobody has infinite space to store these things, as you run out of space it will force you to be more selective.

Last edited:
What works best for me is set up a monthly budget you can comfortably afford and stick with it.

I've been doing this for last six months, so far it has been working great. Also having a wife also helps 😂

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Monthly budget? No. Yearly budget? Yes.

I have a total number....meaning 6 detolfs......and only space for that. If something comes along that means more to me and I really want it that bad......must sell something else.

Fortunatly, I have not reached that yet. I am doing 3 figures per shelf, in themes......SW has 3 shelves.

Recently stopped my self from acquiring 2 OT stormtrooper to flank my SS Vader.....in favor or Jedi Luke and Emporer......which is a much better choice IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a hobby. If you simply pull the trigger only on what you really want when you're able to get it and hold off when you should by not getting a figure just for the sake of getting a figure, then you're good.

Or sell off something that you currently have that you can live without to fund something new that comes along that you'd rather have. Not losing anything in that scenario but merely trading one thing for something else.

The way to beat the addiction is to give it up altogether but if your actually addicted to the hobby then that's a hard thing to do. So i would suggest if you eventually want to be out of this hobby you start to decrease the amount of items you buy and only buy on rare occasions as if you were 'weening' yourself off the addiction. This is what i'm doing and its working.

The way to beat the addiction is to give it up altogether but if your actually addicted to the hobby then that's a hard thing to do. So i would suggest if you eventually want to be out of this hobby you start to decrease the amount of items you buy and only buy on rare occasions as if you were 'weening' yourself off the addiction. This is what i'm doing and its working.

Same here. The temptations and urge to shop/ preorder are really hard at first. But am at a point where it doesn't consume my mind and money and that is really a relief.

I am about a year into collecting Sideshow PF. I have a total of 9 items. Being a Star Wars fan I was only going to collect Star Wars items. But as you know these items are so great that I have found myself purchasing non Star Wars items also. For instance...I really like the Hulk, but without much hesitation I purchased HULK, Grey Hulk, and Red Hulk without even thinking. It's to the point that I am having trouble saying NO to just about anything that I can tie to my childhood that I may have liked.

Has anyone went through this to where they having trouble saying NO to items? If so how did you beat it? I have thought now about doing only 12 inch figures. That does give me a cheaper price point, but so many more items to choose from. Could be the same problem. Then I have thought about finding one character that I like the most. That would be Vader and I could just collect his items and be done with it.

Any advice on how to beat tame or beat this collection addiction would be great.

Get a wife? :dunno

Back