How To Beat Collecting Addiction.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, because I just finished watching "Collection Intervention." I think you should watch that cause those dudes had waaay more stuff than you.

First year or so is the worst, took a lot of time playing catchup with all the stuff previously released and finding them at decent prices. My advice is stay away from or limit yourself with the large popular franchise stuff. New "more of the same" that just keeps getting released by the truckload is not something I want to get pulled into- Marvel, Star Wars, DC, etc... endless lines, endless characters. Call it one and done, check it off your list, move on to something different.

Not entirely sure my wife wouldn't answer, "go with the hookers and drugs, just keep the shelves clear"

Yeah, my wife would probably go with "Choose drugs - it will make the place look less immature without these toys around, and they might help you stay skinny."

First year or so is the worst, took a lot of time playing catchup with all the stuff previously released and finding them at decent prices. My advice is stay away from or limit yourself with the large popular franchise stuff. New "more of the same" that just keeps getting released by the truckload is not something I want to get pulled into- Marvel, Star Wars, DC, etc... endless lines, endless characters. Call it one and done, check it off your list, move on to something different.

never understood why people buy stuffs based on the series instead of what they really like. some ironman just looks awful yet people throw their cash for them. and i don't get why people love sidekick characters like Hawkeye so much they keep buying him everytime a new Avengers come out.

Never understood why people liked tea. Coffee is way better!
Also, I don't get those who like the colors blue and orange.
Weirdos.

Weirdos.

well it's a different story.

people drink tea, but most people have their preferences, they don't drink every single type of tea like people buying every single Hot Toys Avenger figures.

people drink Coffee, some prefer Black without sugar, some only drink with Milk, some only wants bubble on top and some wants a Batman picture on their coffees. though most coffee taste the same to me so i can understand coffee lovers generally drink all sorts of coffee, but not for teabag lovers.

or you can say some toy collectors act like coffee drinkers.

Weirdos.

blue and orange are my favorite colors. Blue cuz my eyes are blue, orange cuz I'm part psychopath. Tea is groovy too. Cant stand coffee cuz once when i was little i liked the smell so I stuck my head in one of those plastic bean bins with the shovels at the grocery store and breathed deep... threw up- sick as a dog for the whole day. True story. Did I mention I like the color orange?

well it's a different story.

people drink tea, but most people have their preferences, they don't drink every single type of tea like people buying every single Hot Toys Avenger figures.

people drink Coffee, some prefer Black without sugar, some only drink with Milk, some only wants bubble on top and some wants a Batman picture on their coffees. though most coffee taste the same to me so i can understand coffee lovers generally drink all sorts of coffee, but not for teabag lovers.

or you can say some toy collectors act like coffee drinkers.

Ok...so all of these postings are an Andy Kaufman-esque performance art / social experiment hybrid. Good one...had me going for a moment.

Ok...so all of these postings are an Andy Kaufman-esque performance art / social experiment hybrid. Good one...had me going for a moment.

There is always one of those, who "...can't understand why..." others like this, or that, but not the other.
Usually, I file those in my 'Some Mother Do Have 'Em' drawer, however, occasionally, I just can't help myself.
:slap

I am about a year into collecting Sideshow PF. I have a total of 9 items. Being a Star Wars fan I was only going to collect Star Wars items. But as you know these items are so great that I have found myself purchasing non Star Wars items also. For instance...I really like the Hulk, but without much hesitation I purchased HULK, Grey Hulk, and Red Hulk without even thinking. It's to the point that I am having trouble saying NO to just about anything that I can tie to my childhood that I may have liked.

Has anyone went through this to where they having trouble saying NO to items? If so how did you beat it? I have thought now about doing only 12 inch figures. That does give me a cheaper price point, but so many more items to choose from. Could be the same problem. Then I have thought about finding one character that I like the most. That would be Vader and I could just collect his items and be done with it.

Any advice on how to beat tame or beat this collection addiction would be great.

hmm....addiction you say? You or someone close to you? Careful mharless........wanting everything the shroud of greed that is. Greed, leads to fear, fear leads to hate and hate leads to suffering. LOL

Couldn't help myself. Now on a serious note, as long as you are not falling behind on your bills and your collecting doesn't ever cause that then I don't see the problem. For most of us space for the collection is usually what keeps us in check lol. I have enough room in my house for 7 detolfs and those 7 detolfs are almost completely full.

So if there is something new I want I look at what I've had for along time that I am willing to let go or put in a box in storage. My wife busts my chops sometimes about how much I spend on my collection (aka addiction) lol, but I remind her how well we are handling our finances and that we have to take some for ourselves to enjoy or else what is the point.

I must say I'm enjoying reading the opinions on this topic. For myself, I wasn't even really aware of the 1/6 figure market til a few years ago. I started getting my father DID War figures for his little collection and made my first personal purchase a Major Winters from Band of Brothers. Then in 2013 I was laid up at home for a month with a collapsed lung and started looking into 1/6 figures. Selling off some of my other collectibles I soon had a small, decent collection. As of now, I've got about 60 1/6 scale figures focusing on Star Wars and Marvel. Where do I keep them? Boxed up for now. I'm married and we're looking for a bigger place so for now I don't have the room. BUT my wife is fine with the new Deadpool 1/6 on display in our living room. To keep my collecting under control I try to keep only one of each character with exceptions for Captain America (personal childhood favorite, although it's time to let one or two go) While it's nice to want to grab each figure as they improve you have to sometimes give something up to get something. I've sold off my Enterbay Leon: The Professional knowing I could buy 2-3 figures for the cost.

I ask myself a couple of questions to keep my collection in check. With pieces I already own, the question is: would I miss this if I sold it? If not, I sell it. With pieces I don't own yet, it's: would I miss this if I didn't own it? Or was anything like this ever on my radar before? This is to ensure that the purchase is neither impulsive nor driven by announcement hype.

The longer I've been in this hobby, the easier it is to answer "no" to those questions. Refinement brings more pleasure and meaning to each piece for me, but I'm finding I have a minimalist personality so your mileage may vary.

The more you collect the more you'll realize what you actually like, what actually looks good in the collection, and what is actually worth its worth.

This, too. And the latter two points are especially dependent on time spent collecting.

Last edited:
Refinement brings more pleasure and meaning to each piece

^^^^

Quality over quantity. I didn't collect a 1/6 figure until HT Godfather. It was only then that "toys" caught up with my standards. Until then I was pretty much high end prop replicas. And even then, I don't collect something which simply looks good. It has to have come from a movie (generally), that I really think is great. For instance, Blitzway's Carlito, or HT Godfather. Only men in suits, but simply wonderful movies, and the 1/6's we got are sublime. If you feel the same way about a movie, and the figure is quality, that's a buy.

I know I've posted this before on the boards, but my favourite items are still the Palisades Muppets Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem playset, and the rest of the band. Whole lot cost me less than one HT figure, and one of the most beloved parts of my collection. Takes me back to being a kid and watching Animal go nuts on the drums, and Dr Teeth and that big toothy grin, and Floyd, Zoot and Janice. Yeah baby. It has meaning.

For mine, the true goal of collecting is not to simply have, but to have that which is great, and above all, what you love. Otherwise, you're collecting merely to have, which is stupid. I look upon my figure collection, and there's not a single thing there which I would consider selling.

Be a connoisseur, not a mere collector. Anyone with enough money can collect anything. At the end of the day it's about what it means.

Last edited:
I've been in this game for quite a long time. Your tastes will change over time.

1) Dont get caught up with the latest and greatest hype. Buy only licenses and IP that you are truly interested in. There will be tons and tons of really cool stuff to have. But honestly a lot of it is a waste of money and you will end up selling it off.

2) Don't get caught up in feeding that new purchase feeling addiction. In this hobby, it is easy to get caught up in the purchasing euphoria where the hunt, purchase, anticipation is actually more enjoyable than the figure itself. Don't do this. Take time out to actually enjoy the pieces you own. There are many ways to enjoy your collection.

3) Finally, if you really want to curb spending, minimise the amount of time you spend browsing this forum and watching reviews on YouTube. This forum feeds the addiction.

I've been in this game for quite a long time. Your tastes will change over time.

1) Dont get caught up with the latest and greatest hype. Buy only licenses and IP that you are truly interested in. There will be tons and tons of really cool stuff to have. But honestly a lot of it is a waste of money and you will end up selling it off.

2) Don't get caught up in feeding that new purchase feeling addiction. In this hobby, it is easy to get caught up in the purchasing euphoria where the hunt, purchase, anticipation is actually more enjoyable than the figure itself. Don't do this. Take time out to actually enjoy the pieces you own. There are many ways to enjoy your collection.

3) Finally, if you really want to curb spending, minimise the amount of time you spend browsing this forum and watching reviews on YouTube. This forum feeds the addiction.

without reading reviews, you will end up with more buyer's remorse due to impulse buying & not really understanding what you are getting until you got it on hand. if you like something, watching reviews will confirm whether you like it or not.

also stay away with people that has the same hobby as you in real life because they are the real poison.

Back