How To Beat Collecting Addiction.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming up on a milestone, where I will have sold off all my Hasbro Star Wars figures. It's taken longer than expected, however selling off a thousand figures or so was no small task. The downsizing and focusing has been very freeing. Been going through random odd items in my collection also.

Deal with the underlying psychological causes for your addiction if you can. If you quit collecting one thing only to start obsessively collecting another thing, then there's probably a root cause that needs to be addressed.

Otherwise, funnel it into less harmful things. eg, fitness/exercise, mastering skills, amassing an astounding library of pirated movies, etc.

Deal with the underlying psychological causes for your addiction if you can. If you quit collecting one thing only to start obsessively collecting another thing, then there's probably a root cause that needs to be addressed.

Otherwise, funnel it into less harmful things. eg, fitness/exercise, mastering skills, amassing an astounding library of pirated movies, etc.

Very true, our inner self is constantly searching for the next thing, which makes us feel good when we acquire it, albeit a short term feeling. That's why it's never enough and we search for the next thing to acquire. These are substitutes for emotional needs that aren't being met. Mindfulness can help break the cycle and step back to assess what we really need. Everyone is different though and the key is recognising or having someone help you realise if your collecting habits are unhealthy

Addiction come because we liking thing and never bored to experience it. We have blast and we can't stop.

You can't just simply instantly stop your hobby without you being depressed and kinda forcing yourself. You will feel ****, you may try.

Just downsizing your collection. Stop being impulse buyer.

I think I do not quite understand some issues underlying to your post.

Do you guys actually take credits in order to buy merch???
Is that common in USA??

I have never heard of anybody here in Europe even remotely considering that option. Either you can pay pre-order and balance when the time comes, or you won't have the doll.

Thanks,
m.

Responses here will vary with people's context and experiences, as well as their own nature. That said, there are some very good tips on refining your collecting to keep it in check for your own context with space, money, and anyone you live with (which sounds like your goal).

I've been collecting for decades. I tried refining. I find I do ok, and then have periods where I go too crazy and have to work to get it in check again. My dealbreaker was when I really took a look at the debt I've built up. Sure, I pay my bills, but with what I'm paying in interest on debt, it could support my hobby. So I'm selling quite a bit with the idea of paying down the debt and investing in my home (some repairs, but some went to finishing a room in the basement so I could ENJOY my collection rather than have it sit in storage).

I understand what it's like when it feels like an addiction. For me the joy of collecting was filling a void in my life and a fun distraction (and I thought more healthy than other activities). Maybe that applies to you upon reflection?

I'm not going to repeat some of the good tips on here, but I'm glad this thread is here. I know for many of you it's not a problem, but for some of us it's something we have to work hard to maintain a balance with. It can be managed. Good luck and I hope the thread helps you find the happy medium for you and yours. :)

Well...
I have been selling 1/6 stuff myself for quite some time now and I am actually shocked at just how much I am selling and at what prices.
And this is happening in a ****ed-up, primitive, historically poor, still-crisis-ridden country like mine. I can't imagine how I'd do in such a dynamic machine like the USA, or even in a world without financial crashes...!
I am making profit on every sale all across the boards: from whole figures to diorama accessories all they way to loose parts.
Granted, things take a very long time to sell, but they eventually sell. The other con is that I actually move my stuff around, and that does take some time (which is money you lose in the end, even if you enjoy it, as I do).

There is another thing regarding sellability: after the afterglow completely wears off, who the hell wants to own Jyn Erso disguised as an Imperial pilot? What is the real charm of that character in the aftermarket, or when compared with newer, shinier but equally forgettable stuff? How many zillions figures more, exactly like it, are going to be released, then totally and utterly forgotten to make room for the next bunch? What is the real value of a company especialized in putting out lots of figures at a high value, but which quickly lose it in the aftermarket? How long until everybody learn the lesson and Hot Toys find themselves not even selling a quarter of what they did before? Is there a 1/6 bubble getting bigger and bigger? Or even a merch bubble in general??

:)
m.

What beat my addiction is I got into a little bit of a financial strap of my own doing and attempted to sell some Hot Toys to help me out and fpund it extremely difficult as the aftermarket on them is crap. I, of course, got lowball offers and when I didnt take them the offers stopped. I clawed my way back financially and realized these things cost so much but are basically worthless. I had some leftover Masters of the Universe clasdicsthat I sold with no problem. So it made me reevaluate how much I spend on HT. I never collected for future value but its nice to know what you have can be worth something after all the cash one drops into it but I think now Ill just buy maybe drop to 1-2 figures a year and bank the rest(I already dropped all my preorders from BBTS and SS and with SS it was some more loss).

"Credit cards"?
I've heard of that. Never had to use them for this kind of stuff.
I always thought they were meant for small amount of credit, not running longer than, say 3 months. And that would be an awful amount of credit to take, at least around here.
But I am reading people here complaining about what sounds like huge amounts of credit, during what sounds like years.
That would be astonishing for a cave man like me. Hence my question.
m.

Ever heard of credit cards?

This is a very relevant issue to me. I have gone through the whole thread. It is amazing just how many people have had the need to chime in on such a transcendental issue, and at length! Besides the original one, many other issues have been raised that turn around the highs and lows of collecting life. Here are my 2 cents on them (and some others I feel are related), and I do expect some serious feedback...! :)

0) We don't need any of this ****. Let's be honest. ;-)
This is 1st world issues. Nothing relevant at all.
That being said...

1) When collecting this small-time kind of art, you are definitely not throwing away your money. You do not actually buy or spend, you lease or invest. This is my take after having sold a lot (for strategic reasons exclusively) in the last 1.5 years. To sell well, even to make profit, you have to learn the trade and do it before you assemble too much of the wrong stuff. But there is more. Keep reading.

2) There is also a huge problem linked to owning/loving (and investing a lot of money and time on) this stuff that you must consider as soon as possible: how to keep it!! I am talking about theft and disaster. Taking an insurance on something you can barely afford, and that in case of loss won't be easily replaced (if at all) is a nightmarish issue to me right now. More than the money (which is A LOT) it would be losing the TIME I have invested in learning, planning, finding, purchasing, selling and building (at least 5 or 6 years fulltime, if I add it all up since the beginning) that would kill me. On top of that, many items not being available AT ALL anymore would be horrific too. If I lost all my stuff I would really be ****ed up, really big-time, even if my knowledge would survive and I could remake everything from scratch, even if I received the insurance money (I have no insurance yet btw, can't afford it by now). Living with this weight is no good.

3) I won't even get started about the pain that it is to be a collector with a sizeable amount of stuff when the time comes to manage so many art boxes, or to move to some other city, or even to move to some other country (which I am intending to do soon). That is when you realise what you got yourself into, and that your collection is a huge metal ball attached to your neck for the rest of your collecting life.

4) Regarding what to buy: this hobby consists in buying some physical objects whose admiration or manipulation (even creation) makes you happy (let's not discuss why this is so). The amount of stuff you can get is (normally) heavily limited by money, time, space, maintenance, and the people you live with. You must optimize your resources and buy the things that will make you the happiest. Once you get it figured out, you will have to focus and leave the rest out. There is no going around this (and of course, you should not cancel your credit cards: you must cancel your impulsive buying).
But there is more. Keep reading.

5) Regarding your fancying everything: if you die to have everything, you are just being superficial. There is a lot of people who say "I love that thing." when they should rather say "Oh just how nice that thing looks!". Lots of people who should just look at the pictures instead of buying the damn thing. They have some need that they think they'll satisfy just by buying some stuff. But it won't do a thing simply because it is not what they really need. And it is not because they don't know themselves well. And the don't because getting to know oneself deeply is and extremely difficult and protracted process, in part because we lie to ourselves all the time with highly credible big fat lies. So, before deciding WHAT YOU WANT, you must first find out as best as possible WHO YOU ARE (and here I don't mind what your biological age might be). I will give you some tips: being mad about getting every possible form of Darth Vader figs? That is a bad sign. Dying to get the latest figs from the latest blockbuster whose characters you have never had any deep relationship with whatsoever, like TFA or Rogue One? Bad sign.
I can't tell you what would be a good sign, since it depends on each individual. I would dare to say that in any instance, what you take out of your figures has to be enduring, which might mean that you must not just collect merch, but the expression of concepts/values/feelings/memories that takes the shape of merch. And those must be enduring and everlasting. Only so real attachement can exist, and only so you can become selective.

6) On prices: as we all know, a 2006 SSC SW figure costed $60. HT ones now sell for $250. I know quality costs money, but tecnology should reduce costs, and I cannot see that happening. Only thing I see is prices always on the rise. Does any of you know where is this all heading to? Will it get to the point where I will not be able to buy new figures?

7) Final remark on sustainability: should we even buy this stuff in the first place? Do you guys give any thought to the amount of horrible, non-recyclable crap we are generating? Let's be honest about the lifecycle of these things no matter how precious they might be upon release: you buy a fig or statue that is oh so cool, then you sell it to get another one that will make you happier, or that is technically better, the process repeats itself a bunch of times, and even if the item's value might grow bigger, eventually some new version will render it completely obsolete (This is no Van Gogh: think Sideshow's Star Wars 1/6 figs from 12 years ago, or Hasbro's from 18 years ago; and I don't think statues are any different). After the item's value completely sinks, it ends up in the hands of somebody who will eventually destroy or discard it... where? Discard it... how? Chances are it will end up in a landfill, lying there for centuries, or eaten by some animal that will eventually end up in somebody's dish, causing them some kind of cancer when they grow old because of accumulation. Now, this kind of thought, which you might deride but I do not, really makes me feel bad about collecting physical stuff. And I have no solution for it.

m.

EDIT(S): just fixing my lousy English... :-(

"Credit cards"?
I've heard of that. Never had to use them for this kind of stuff.
I always thought they were meant for small amount of credit, not running longer than, say 3 months. And that would be an awful amount of credit to take, at least around here.
But I am reading people here complaining about what sounds like huge amounts of credit, during what sounds like years.
That would be astonishing for a cave man like. Hence my question.
m.

Yep you're better off not touching them, I've never had one myself. But peoples' finances differ greatly. Many people will only buy what they can afford with expendable income, whilst others live on credit and repay the bare minimum each month. And there are others in the middle where they have slowly amassed a large collection and struggling to save any money but have no debt

Bingo, that's the trouble some of us got into. I'm happy to say I'm not currently in that state but not immune to it. I think it's something I will have to manage long term and hope it gets easier to do so.

Yep you're better off not touching them, I've never had one myself. But peoples' finances differ greatly. Many people will only buy what they can afford with expendable income, whilst others live on credit and repay the bare minimum each month. And there are others in the middle where they have slowly amassed a large collection and struggling to save any money but have no debt

Bingo, that's the trouble some of us got into. I'm happy to say I'm not currently in that state but not immune to it. I think it's something I will have to manage long term and hope it gets easier to do so.

OK
I see.
Thx,
m.

So here's my experience. I've changed my collecting habits / interests a few times, first starting with comic books and records in high school - that ended when I moved from the midwest to NYC and had to pair down. I had passed my collection on to a friend who was opening up a comic book store, there was enough there for him to open up a good size backstock section on consignment. That, unfortunately didn't end well with me getting ripped off. I got tired of lugging vinyl around and ended up selling all of my records in one lot to a store in Chicago years later, that nearly paid in full a trip to Oslo.

While in NYC I got into picking up a new toy from Medicom - Kubricks, and eventually Be@rbricks (and starting the online site Kubrick World [RIP]). That led to then getting into Kaiju / sofubi and man, that one was a real bad habit. Not only was there new stuff coming out constantly but the amount of past collectibles was killing my wallet and credit.

A few years later I started up my own online toy store (Toy Life) and used my collection as a basis to get started, that was a long and pretty successful biz. After a long while in NYC we had to move back to the Midwest, which meant a larger living space and an actual office / collection room. At that point things shifted quite a bit. I pulled back from doing kaiju purchasing, or as much, and got into my earliest love, Star Wars. I started amassing 1/6-scale figures, then helmets, odd collectibles from Japan, etc. That collection soon took over everything including my paycheck. Moving to the PNW, with smaller spaces, really helped with realizing I had to dump it all, and to micro-focus what my interests would be. I sold off everything I had, made some good bank and now tend to maybe pick up one item a year, if that.

My suggestion is to either really focus what your interest is and stick with that. If you like Sith, just stick to Sith. If you want to be a completist, then go for it...with the thought of what will you do with it later on? Picking up everything you can be worth the hunt and time, but will it be worth any value later on if you decide to sell? I found that out the hard way with the 3A 1/6-scale figures. I have a ton of those, many are now selling new on eBay for less than what they retailed for, so I keep 'em around.

I collect Hot Toys Iron Man figures. My wife's cousin got me into collecting them. When he passed away suddenly on April 12th 2017. I've decided that I am not going to sell my Hot Toys Iron Man figures, I going to keep collecting them and have them as a remembrance of my wife's cousin. I also collected other items like Transformers, and Voltron figures. But lately I've gone through my collection, sold a great deal of my Transformers figures. ( I had 312, but now I have 105). I've sold sold some of the Voltron figures I have. Currently trying to sell the 20th diecast and non diecast Voltron, 25th Anniversary Voltron, and some of the toys from the Legendary Deferender Series.

So going back to collecting Hot Toys Iron Man figures. I normally get them from SSC, with them offering flex pay it makes it much easier for my to pay for them. Also when I sell some of my other stuff, I use that money to pay for flex pays. I have four orders that only have one payment left, and 3 I haven't made a payment yet. And I don't spend all of my money on myself, occasionally I get my wife some Hot Toys/SSC Star Wars figures for Christmas, Valentine's Day, Birthday, Wedding Anniversary. I spend way more on her for those occasions then she spends on me.

Those of you out there with understanding (even partaking) wives... lucky bastards... not only because that eases your collecting vice, but for the sort of strange spiritual connection that it must be for both having that same hobby... sex must be all the more special having also that in common... ;-)
m.

I collect Hot Toys Iron Man figures. My wife's cousin got me into collecting them. When he passed away suddenly on April 12th 2017. I've decided that I am not going to sell my Hot Toys Iron Man figures, I going to keep collecting them and have them as a remembrance of my wife's cousin. I also collected other items like Transformers, and Voltron figures. But lately I've gone through my collection, sold a great deal of my Transformers figures. ( I had 312, but now I have 105). I've sold sold some of the Voltron figures I have. Currently trying to sell the 20th diecast and non diecast Voltron, 25th Anniversary Voltron, and some of the toys from the Legendary Deferender Series.

So going back to collecting Hot Toys Iron Man figures. I normally get them from SSC, with them offering flex pay it makes it much easier for my to pay for them. Also when I sell some of my other stuff, I use that money to pay for flex pays. I have four orders that only have one payment left, and 3 I haven't made a payment yet. And I don't spend all of my money on myself, occasionally I get my wife some Hot Toys/SSC Star Wars figures for Christmas, Valentine's Day, Birthday, Wedding Anniversary. I spend way more on her for those occasions then she spends on me.

I'd recommend getting burnt out of tens of thousands of dollars in preorders dealing with dodgy Australian retailers.
That really opened my eyes to how much money can be blown on meaningless plastic (especially when waiting years for it to never arrive).

Luckily I was able to get it all back through bank disputes, get my **** together and sell off 99% of my collection (being a MISB collector definitely helped there).

Now I'm content owning a few choice replicas like my 75th Anniversary Captain America shield and a King Arts replica helmet (that actually arrived from said dodgy Australian retailer which I use as a reminder to never pre-order anything again) and a Sideshow Captain America Life Size bust I picked up for $300 USD on Ebay!

Minimalism is the way to go folks. Less is more when it comes to collecting - it really makes your select few pieces shine and not get lost in a sea of hundreds of cluttered dusty figures and statues.

I found after i got a couple of Ikea detolfs and got a custom raiser built for them, once I filled it up, the urge has gone. Get the pieces u want, not just the bargains on eBay. And stop buying figures u think will retain their value or go up, coz likelihood is they wont

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back