How to attach head to neck?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay... so welcome to custom 101 you my friend need 1 thing. How I would tackle this, would be:

Cover the neck in tape.

Take some kind of polymer like Plumbers Putty. (A 2 part kneading epoxy with a 5 min set time and 1 hour set time.)

Place putty over neck joint (make sure ya taped it good).

Let it set to harden then once it is, take off neck joint let cure.

Then you can cut it, dremmel and etc then start sculpting over the piece.

The epoxy should be fine I believe while baking. Ya might want to check on that though. Js.

I have attached some heads to Dragon bodies on some commissions by using bathroom silicone caulking. It does take a long time to dry though (about 2 weeks). But once it's set, it works like a charm and just like a Hot Toys head and you can pop it on and off since it's hard on the outside (resin) and soft on the inside (silicone).

It's hard to mess up because if you get it all over the head, you just wipe it off with paper since it takes so long to dry it won't lift the paint if you matte it down with some dullcoat.

Another option if you want instant gratification is using hot glue to fill in the neck, then putting it on the body. Once cooled, it will have a good solid hold. If you need to take the head off again for some reason, you can just use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue inside and pop it off.

Or you can do what Orangepeace suggested also. They're all variations on the same thing. You just need to fill any open spaces with something.

Thanks for the help. I am really excited to get started on this figure. I'm just waiting for the supplies and parts to arrive. This is my very first shot at headsculpting. For that reason, I've just decided to make it a generic/made up character, rather than try to make it look like someone real. Picking out the clothes was hard too! I'm making a cowboy and I don't want it to be too bland color-wise, but I don't want the colors to be all over the place and look ridiculous, either.

I'll be sure to take pictures as I make it and I'll post pictures of the final product!

Back