Custom Clone replacement heads

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so we're going to start here with Wolffe. I do not currently have a body to put him on, but that is a problem - and money, so much money - for another day. I just want to paint this guy, and here is my canvas. Will update as I go along.

This is an extremely tight print, and I dont think I'm going to bother with that print-smoothing resin as I feel that stuff is tricky to work with, and I dont want to obscure any detail. I will just use a few coats of thinned gesso. This print is actually nicer than it appears here, its really hard to photograph.

IMG_0202 crop1.jpg

IMG_0199 crop2.jpg

The paint will make or break this. Good paint hides a multitude of sins. We will see how it goes! *crosses fingers* If anyone has any tips to pass along, esp about painting printed items please feel free.

Painting human heads is super hard. An airbrush helps but light coats of the correct colors like you’re doing definitely makes it more realistic. Can’t wait to see more!

Currently awaiting attention:

*neuWolffe with improved scar

*Tup - ear chipped in shipment, I got to fix that but it wont be hard

*a completely bald head that is THE BOMB and he will get the coolest scalp tattoo I can possibly think up.

EDIT: I just realized I cannot find the box I am storing these heads in. And I'm panicking just a wee bit. NO

FOUND. After increasing distress and near-tears. They were in a different box than I last remembered putting them in and I kept overlooking them.

Added bonus: also found a very expensive item I thought was lost for good. I knew it was in here somewhere, finally found that too. But OMG I thought I lost well over $100 worth of custom heads.

*puts box in big jewelry armoire, after writing "CLONES" on it* You will be safe in here, boys.

Adding to the collection next: Fordo. Most of these heads I dont have a real purpose for, they're just fun to paint - but I will be building Fordo eventually.

Just as an aside, this is the head I will be using for my Etain Tur-Mukan custom. I consider myself lucky to have found one so close to what I actually needed. It was harder than I thought. For this character I needed:

*NO "come-hither" style expression
*No "I am dangerous!"-type expressions
*No heavy makeup
*No red lipstick
*Not too unintelligent of an expression, Etain is naive but not totally clueless
*Red hair. Not fire-engine red, not fantasy-color red. Just a normal red like you'd see on the street.
*Not recognizably Scarlett Johansson
*Suntan skin, to match the body I'm going to use. I was originally going to build Fennec, but since HT made her I'll be putting that one up with Boba instead.

Heads these days come with SHORT hair. I consider this short. I am not going to the trouble of re-rooting but I will straighten this out some. I wanted to put the whole thing in a braid, but due to length may just section out a padawan braid, idk. We'll see. I need to consult the books.

IMG_0401 etain1.jpg

Last edited:
I just realized I cannot find the box I am storing these heads in. And I'm panicking just a wee bit. NO
FOUND. After increasing distress and near-tears. They were in a different box than I last remembered putting them in and I kept overlooking them.

That was a roller coaster. Glad you found them. Maybe you should throw an AirTag in the box in case some misadventure happens where the armoire gets accidentally donated to some charity with the Clone heads still in it and you have to chase it down around town.

Well, hopefully not but I'd like to see the expression on a normal person's face if they opened your box of heads.

Just as an aside, this is the head I will be using for my Etain Tur-Murkan custom. I consider myself lucky to have found one so close to what I actually needed. It was harder than I thought. For this character I needed:

*NO "come-hither" style expression
*No "I am dangerous!"-type expressions
*No heavy makeup
*No red lipstick
*Not too unintelligent of an expression, Etain is naive but not totally clueless
*Red hair. Not fire-engine red, not fantasy-color red. Just a normal red like you'd see on the street.
*Not recognizably Scarlett Johansson
*Suntan skin, to match the body I'm going to use. I was originally going to build Fennec, but since HT made her I'll be putting that one up with Boba instead.

Heads these days come with SHORT hair. I consider this short. I am not going to the trouble of re-rooting but I will straighten this out some. I wanted to put the whole thing in a braid, but due to length may just section out a padawan braid, idk. We'll see. I need to consult the books.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the deep cut EU characters you reference as a fan of the EU myself. My wife and I often talk about how we wish the new canon had kept more of the Mandalorian culture taught to and adopted by Clones.

It is very difficult to find good female head sculpts that aren't doll-like or would look okay next to Hot Toys figures. I've gone through those struggles myself so I sympathize. It was especially difficult finding a sculpt appropriate for Mara Jade.

Did you build Mara Jade?! Post a pic, man!

I did a long time ago with very similar conditions/requirements to your search. The not recognizably Scarlet Johansson part made me laugh because I felt that; every other sculpt available is a Scarlet knockoff. :lol

I'm not as happy with it anymore since the sculpt feels really dated next to other figures so I'd like to revamp it.

IMG_0408fordo1.jpg

I picture Fordo as a younger clone, but that does not mean I wont paint the hell out of this guy. More clones should wear mohawks, they look awesome on them.

In other news, I straightened Etain's hair and at first I was not going to add to or reroot her hair, as it seemed just fine. However once I de-fluffed her hair, it became evident how little of it there was, and anything other than hanging straight down revealed gaps. So I will just be adding to her hair, not completely re-rooting. While I wait for the weft to get here I will be working on her tunic, I bought a stray Kenobi tunic for her and she's *swimming* in it. A little tailoring is in order.

Artistic interpretation of clone commando Scorch. I am very mixed on the Superman curl, we'll see what happens.

He has a cool facial tat that arcs under his right eye. Its almost invisible on the print, I'll be adding that by hand because why the hell not.
IMG_0618scorch crop.jpg

Extensive burn scarring, beard stubble. Ugh.

The backlog builds while I fight with scalp-tattoo clone. Etain finally got her custom jedi tunic - honestly thought I would never see it, but the maker finally delivered.

Back