How do you afford this stuff? (formerly people on the forum)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: people on the forum

Hi,im new member to the forum but read it alot before i joined. im 24 and on part time wage (above 500 under 1000 pounds) and trying to get into collecting figures,busts or any film/video game memorabilia. with being in a recession and bills to pay how do you guys afford all the hot toys/sideshow busts? i don't mean to be personal but im getting the play arts kai mgs figures and thats costly at 60 pound each to me but i see you guys with loads of hot toys and then talking about the W/M bust (850 pounds) and it blows my mind.do you have amazing jobs or rich parents? how old are the collectors on this forum and what do your girlfriend/wives think of your hobby? (mine hates it :( )

I'll be 33 next month, married and have one child. I am pretty new to collecting compare to most people here, I started in August10. I've been keeping track of my spending in this hobby, and so far I average about $700 per month. I know it's a lot for some people and I would like to lower it but have failed so far :( maybe I can once my collection room has no space anymore.

Like others have mentioned not having any debts really help to survive in this hobby. I hate paying interest to anybody other than my house I don't have any debts, having no car payments really help.

The key is make sure you have satisfied your other important needs first before you jump further to this hobby. In my case, my family needs is my number1 priority, and I only spend money on statues only if my monthly savings goal has met. Your savings per month (whether in 401k, cd, or IRA) has to be more than what you spend on statues/figures per month.

Always be thankful of what you have no matter how small your collection is, and don't try to be like other collectors because we all have different needs and financial situation.

Last edited:

I've been keeping track of my spending in this hobby, and so far I average about $700 per month.

Like others have mentioned not having any debts really help to survive in this hobby.

Your savings per month (whether in 401k, cd, or IRA) has to be more than what you spend on statues/figures per month.

If you can spend $700/month on your hobby without indebting yourself and at the same time put more than that into your savings, you're obviously making a lot 'o money. Good for you! What does your wife say about all this $$ going into "toys," especially the kind that take up so much space?

Last edited:

i use CC cos thats they only way to purchase but i make sure first i have enough left to pay the bill within the date

don't use credit cards to buy your stuff

honestly, i don't think using a credit card is wrong. the problem is that people have very little self control or responsibility. if you are one of these people, than yes, don't use a credit card. but if you are responsible and you pay off your full balance every month, you SHOULD be using a credit card where you can actually get something in return for the money you are spending...this is just a no brainer.

I have a good job, but had to cut down a bit because of the recession. But just a bit. I also don't have a luxurious car or spend on expensive clothes or other luxuries. I don't really need them and I'd rather spend the $$ on toys.

I'm also friends with local dealers who sell me the Hot Toys figs for 15 to 20% off retail (sometimes wholesale cost), no tax and no shipping. :D

I don't drink or smoke, so that helps too :wink1:

:exactly::lecture:exactly:

honestly, i don't think using a credit card is wrong. the problem is that people have very little self control or responsibility. if you are one of these people, than yes, don't use a credit card. but if you are responsible and you pay off your full balance every month, you SHOULD be using a credit card where you can actually get something in return for the money you are spending...this is just a no brainer.

Exactly. In fact, even a little credit card debt is not bad thing if you have a credit card with a low rate, like one from a credit union, because it improves your credit rating. But don't let it become a sand trap.

Good Job.
Lots of credit.
I don't spend money on cars, clothes, trips etc. Just statues.
No woman to answer to as I'm the woman.

Because of this thread, I review my spending on this hobby again. I started collecting since Jan 2011, up till now, I spend on average $2250 a month. But I have spent less than $1000 since last Nov. The passion is cooling down.

I am 32, married with no kid. Don't really have a job.

Because of this thread, I review my spending on this hobby again. I started collecting since Jan 2011, up till now, I spend on average $2250 a month. But I have spent less than $1000 since last Nov. The passion is cooling down.

I am 32, married with no kid. Don't really have a job.

wow, no job? sugar momma, loaded parents, inheritance, lottery?

Some of the people are living in debt and paying with their credit cards. Some can't really afford this hobby but still continue because it's become an addiction.

wow, no job? sugar momma, loaded parents, inheritance, lottery?

Not sure how should I tell you guys. Just doing ok.

I am not those I want a vehicle type prosperous, but a few statues a month is acceptable, since I don't have other hobby other than reading.

Live for today cause tomorrow you may be dead.

I watched my good friend be cautious of every penny spent (and checked with his wife or stressed over what his wife was going to say) on even the simplest of things-- like a $20 NFL team hat... He died suddenly at far too young an age when his only child, his son, was just a month old...

Everyone has faith and believes in what the Undiscovered Country might be-- but all we do know is that this is the present. Live, be happy... Life's too short to stress over anything.

I buy what I want, when I want-- and leave things when I don't want them. I don't smoke, go out partying, gamble, and I barely drink... I am married with three kids and they come first. But I'm old enough to know who I am and what I enjoy in life. My home office is wall to wall SW. My tv room downstairs is where I display everything else. I don't sell ANY of my collection and I don't pick things for their resale value... and my collection is always growing-- because, and this is the important part-- it makes me happy. And I could be dead tomorrow.

That undiscovered country from whose bourne no traveler returns... Can't take it with you. Enjoy life. Love the ones you're with... Collect for life.

Back