How do you afford this stuff? (formerly people on the forum)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a small Kew Gardens apartment and I hardly have room to display any figures myself. I only have two figures on display, and I interchange them occasionally with my other Hot Toys figures. I love NY, but it's hard to find good real-estate if you have a large collection that you'd like to display.

Yeah the metro area is tough, i have a decent sized apt but it's still way too small for sideshow statues, they take up so much space, i only have 1/4 of my stuff on display with 2 giant full sized curio. Wish i was collecting HT, could probably fit the whole collection then some but i hate plastic stuff :/

Times like this I really want a house with a full sized basement, but then i think about moving to the farms (err suburbs..) in the middle of nowhere, roofs leaking, basement flooding, shoveling snow and 2 hr daily commute to work, and that kills the whole idea.

They need to build cheap floating houses or something on top of manhattan :/

Don't know if I answered before, but ah well.

We afford it because we are selective, and we save for it. We never use credit (which would get you into too much trouble) and we just always make sure it's pieces we love or will enjoy in our collection.

Yeah the metro area is tough, i have a decent sized apt but it's still way too small for sideshow statues, they take up so much space, i only have 1/4 of my stuff on display with 2 giant full sized curio. Wish i was collecting HT, could probably fit the whole collection then some but i hate plastic stuff :/

Times like this I really want a house with a full sized basement, but then i think about moving to the farms (err suburbs..) in the middle of nowhere, roofs leaking, basement flooding, shoveling snow and 2 hr daily commute to work, and that kills the whole idea.

They need to build cheap floating houses or something on top of manhattan :/

I have planned to move to a bigger place in HK to place my statues. My budget is 2mil US. If I want to live on HK Island and a "decent" apartment. (Not like 1st floor, possibly touching another building, 40 years old buildings) The best I can do is a 1200 ft apartment. So it simply means no place for the boxes.

I always say, collecting SSC statues and living in cities like NY, London or Tokyo, is, in themselves expelling.

I live in a 1bdrm in manhattan and have one large display cae for about 50 figures. But i have another 50 in the closet, plus i cant display oversized pieces like the tumbler or power loader. and there is no way in hell the wife will ok another cabinet. I have actually sat down with a calculator and tried to figure out the space i will need to display everything properly. And i know this will never happen in nyc. Maybe in queens where you can get more space but not in the city.

This means buying a home. Which is a whole other issue.

Don't know if I answered before, but ah well.

We afford it because we are selective, and we save for it. We never use credit (which would get you into too much trouble) and we just always make sure it's pieces we love or will enjoy in our collection.

Very smart. I pay cash for everything also. I'd be screwed if I started charging.

I afford the hobby like anyone here, with a job, but recently beginning to really realize that this is such an expensive hobby. I am moving and have all my figures boxed and packed. Lets just say the mountain of "toys" looks alarming now that I'm moving into a ____ small apartment (SF is expensive as ____)...

I eat on Wednesdays and try and collect others left overs at restaurants in the area. I dont have a flashy car, or fancy clothes, instead I buy low end toys that I sometimes flip on ebay to fund the bigger items I want. Also what others have said, be selective on the bigger pieces.

I also sell my baby juice at the clinic not to far away.

I live in a 1bdrm in manhattan and have one large display cae for about 50 figures. But i have another 50 in the closet, plus i cant display oversized pieces like the tumbler or power loader. and there is no way in hell the wife will ok another cabinet. I have actually sat down with a calculator and tried to figure out the space i will need to display everything properly. And i know this will never happen in nyc. Maybe in queens where you can get more space but not in the city.

This means buying a home. Which is a whole other issue.

My wife is ok about me being a collector, so I just place everything in the living room.

I've for the most part 'stalled out' when it comes to collecting. I'll get a piece once in a 'blue moon,' but I've got what I feel are the best representations of my favorite characters.

If I find something better, I'll sell the old one in exchange for the new. It makes things easy on the checkbook and space.

I've for the most part 'stalled out' when it comes to collecting. I'll get a piece once in a 'blue moon,' but I've got what I feel are the best representations of my favorite characters.

If I find something better, I'll sell the old one in exchange for the new. It makes things easy on the checkbook and space.

:exactly: Me too!

That's a good place to be.

Back