1/6 Hot Toys Wolf Predator 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna get it, but I definitely agree there's not much of an improvement besides the body. And like I said before about the armor, they tried to make it look better than the movie. The old figure was more accurate in that regard.

I'm gonna get it, but I definitely agree there's not much of an improvement besides the body. And like I said before about the armor, they tried to make it look better than the movie. The old figure was more accurate in that regard.

Right now I'm curious about he height. Since Wolf is a leaner predator I expect him to be a bit shorter than the other AVP 2.0 preds. From pics we've seen so far is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still can't help but feel like I pretty much owned that exact figure when I put the old Wolf onto the original P1 body.

Are you serious? The new one is a vast improvement on the helmet, armor and head as well, the old helmet and armor were completely inaccurate to the movie and they looked like a cheap toy. This new version looks so much more accurate to the movie version in every way. I really don't get how you can even compare the two?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 148
Are you serious? The new one is a vast improvement on the helmet, armor and head as well, the old helmet and armor were completely inaccurate to the movie and they looked like a cheap toy. This new version looks so much more accurate to the movie version in every way. I really don't get how you can even compare the two?

View attachment 358084View attachment 358085

^Totally agree 100 percent bro, night and day difference. The new one is simply put a masterpiece, and I agree better in every single way.

View attachment 358084View attachment 358085

Agreed,in addition to sculpt also the paint jobs,always not a fan of the previous one simply pure black under with some sliver paint add on the armor & mask.
The 2.0 is way better with highlight black sliver reflection in some lighting.

20507553_1268731946566686_4021086880715356458_o.jpg

Last edited:
The old one at least had the correct eyes in the mask, that sort of bug eye pattern. Why ht wont do their research on the eyes still baffles me.

Maybe it's just the head and the long neck. I remember never being quite happy with these things on the old figure (even after I put it onto the P1 body, the superior body at the time) - but to me they just look the same. Not much improvement there.

I was never buying it anyway so I don't know why I'm even posting. A lack of anything else to post about I suppose.

i never had the original figure, but i have the original mask (collected different masks some time ago). from what i see it's definitely a big improvement in terms of shapes accuracy. the old one was round and with very soft edges, plus it had that terrible texture HT did since their very first AVP predators, mistaken surface pattern for giant caverns.
the neck was actually long in the movie - due to YW having a longer neck than KPH + lower shoulders with no rising armor making a higher silhouette.
the problem with HT heads is the connection point: instead of being closer to the forehead, necks grow out of the middle of heads. it gives them a strong "head up and back" vision, which cannot be fixed until the sculpting techniques are changed.

it's just a helmet with nothing "bio" in it. predators operate their tech both through buttons or wireless thinking with or without those helmets

That's actually incorrect. Well sort of..

predator2foldout.jpg

Official promo-material from FOX, back when the movie came out. I had the full sized poster.

Referring to the "Helmet Mask" :lol

..houses infra-red and ultra-violet vision sensors, selective hearing channels and automatic targeting mechanisms.

But like you pointed out (I think!?) in the very same movie you have the Elder Predator (WAYYYYY better name than grayback) with no Bio-Mask controlling his shoulder cannon. And isn't there also a scene where P2 sees in infra-red minus the Bio-Mask!? :lol

So yeah..

I think bio just refers to how they use it breath on other planets and for life support. Which is kind of silly as every pred in every movie has fought on earth, which they clearly have no trouble breathing.

But like you pointed out (I think!?) in the very same movie you have the Elder Predator (WAYYYYY better name than grayback) with no Bio-Mask controlling his shoulder cannon.
not me, it was xenowolf. i just offered an explanation for that - and also for the head tentacles biological function. like that ridge/crown around the skull could contain some additional organ/ganglion, and tendrils growing out of it could be connected to it and serve some function.

1And isn't there also a scene where P2 sees in infra-red minus the Bio-Mask!? :lol
to my mind it was a very very silly mistake, completely destroying the cool effect of P1 taking off the mask and seeing everything not through tech but with his own eyes, under alien sun, in alien air. that was so well done.
that P2 scene can be easily explained with integrated visors, but i don't want to explain it like that and forgive them for missing one of the best scenes in P1.
p.s. i think that "infrared" is actually the original vision of a predator, and blue/rainbow is a computer filtered artificial model of the image, when some parts are enhanced and others are dimmed, translated by predator brain as "blue" for the first and colourful for the second. but that raises an old question of predator ability to see colors. judging by non-matching colors of pieces of their armor suits, i'd say they either don't see colors or don't care about them.

Official promo-material from FOX, back when the movie came out. I had the full sized poster.
yeah i read it all. including "laser cannon" and "hearing channels". the guy who wrote those descriptions probably saw the movie one time before writing them :)

oh, i promised predator ears, and it's needed for that "hearing channels" comment.
so i always wondered why Winston didn't give predators any visible ear holes - and thought it was a silly design oversight from his side, as he is usually thorough with biological designs.
until Moguchiy H once posted lots of photos about predators that i never saw.
and what did i find on them? a missing detail.

bxQRZ3H.jpg

ox5rZNr.jpg

CsSznrK.jpg

and from P1:

iFsk19m.jpg

the mask obviously doesn't cover them and cannot transmit sounds to them.

unless somebody wants to call them nostrils/gills :slap but in that case predator is left deaf again.

I think bio just refers to how they use it breath on other planets and for life support.
hmm yeah, that's an excellent explanation. didn't think of it, but now it sounds obvious.

Which is kind of silly as every pred in every movie has fought on earth, which they clearly have no trouble breathing.
but how well did they feel? to me it looks like the idea was that earth atmosphere can support their life, but is uncomfortable. or is bearable only for a short time. especially judging by P2 movie when he had to spend much more time breathing it - and used a secondary breathing mask at least twice on screen. of course it could contain some steroid narcotics or inhaling medicine instead of breathing mix.

I have no fact to back it up but my impression was that they need the mask to breathe on earth. P1 took it off as he was challenging a fight to the death so either he thought he would kill Dutch then put it back on or die trying so it doesn't matter. Hand to hand, didn't want the technical advantage etc.
P2 didn't choose to take his off (Harrigan did it for him) so he was using the breather to keep him going til he got back to his ship.

As for AvP1, who knows. They had flappy face skin and too many teeth, so I think their inbred nature made them ok :rotfl

Wolf was again in the fight to the death mood like P1.

Just what I took from it anyway...

AVP1 creature took the mask off to smile to a girl with boobs. his blood became so hot that he didn't even care about predators coming only in the hottest years - love warmed him. (and her too obviously, as she didn't feel the -50C cold.)
Wolf was again in the fight to the death mood like P1.
yeah, i guess he was as humiliated from repeatedly losing to an animal as P1 was humiliated from repeatedly losing to Dutch.
at least Wolf died in a fair combat with a dangerously strong creature with all tech (guns, mask) already broken, while P1 lost to a weak human only because of his conceit. (not that i dislike the idea, it's perfectly played in both cases.)

I still don't think Wolf should have died though. Cheap ass ending to that movie... Was the perfect opportunity for a predator to finally survive. Going by their movie records, they need a win to prove they are actually good hunters!
Love the design though and think this will be like the Scar 2.0, where the figure looks better than the movie suit did (although Wolf did seem higher quality than Scar and friends)

I still don't think Wolf should have died though. Cheap ass ending to that movie... Was the perfect opportunity for a predator to finally survive. Going by their movie records, they need a win to prove they are actually good hunters!
Love the design though and think this will be like the Scar 2.0, where the figure looks better than the movie suit did (although Wolf did seem higher quality than Scar and friends)

I agree and they could have had a great set up for the next one involving the Wolf tracking down the lost plasma caster to ensure it stays out of human hands!!!

Was the perfect opportunity for a predator to finally survive.
after the predalien, actually being an alien queen in the movie, drove a tail through him (Scar died just from that) and then poured lots of acid all over Wolf?
nuclear bomb seemed like merciful fast death by that moment.
(i know they didn't apply any acid effect in that scene for a reason unknown for me. but i don't see why it wouldn't be acid, if the creature still gave birth to normal acidic aliens. though it looked like no aliens in the second half of the movie had acid as well. the torso wound still remains.)

My point was have it end differently. Not just the bomb. A predator surviving would have made a nice change, and why not when it's a seasoned older predator? If Scar (basically an adolescent) can almost take down a fully grown queen, a problem solver like Wolf should have been able to at least escape alive.

to my mind it was a very very silly mistake, completely destroying the cool effect of P1 taking off the mask and seeing everything not through tech but with his own eyes, under alien sun, in alien air. that was so well done.
that P2 scene can be easily explained with integrated visors, but i don't want to explain it like that and forgive them for missing one of the best scenes in P1.
p.s. i think that "infrared" is actually the original vision of a predator, and blue/rainbow is a computer filtered artificial model of the image, when some parts are enhanced and others are dimmed, translated by predator brain as "blue" for the first and colourful for the second. but that raises an old question of predator ability to see colors. judging by non-matching colors of pieces of their armor suits, i'd say they either don't see colors or don't care about them.
I don't think it's a mistake. In the P1 director's commentary, John McTiernan says that the true infrared image of the jungle was all red because of how hot it was down there in Mexico (like when the P1 took off his mask). They went to a art house in post production for the "blue" effect around the people and things he looked at with his mask on. So the image seen in Predator vision through most of the movie isn't even a true infrared, until he is unmasked. In P2 when the creature gets unmasked, they're in a freezing cold slaughterhouse so it wouldn't have been all red like the Mexican jungle. And when he fights Harrigan on the ship, the mist at Harrigan's lower body clouds away his heat and it appears blue, so it must be freezing cold on the ship too.

Which raises an interesting question. If their ship is like a freezer, why do they like to hunt in the heat?

But it still appeared to be somewhat infrared. The default color turned to red, but you could still see some yellow/green flashes of Arnold as he was getting punched around. My guess is the infrared mode on the biohelmet helps to enhance and focus what the Predator already sees. It has greater sensitivity and can display heat from farther away, hence the Predator being able to see figures in the distance when wearing the helmet but needing to be right up against Arnold to see his heat after taking it off.

Which raises an interesting question. If their ship is like a freezer, why do they like to hunt in the heat?

Heat draws conflict?

It's also possible that the Predators may be used to cooler climates (or at least hunting on planets with weaker suns), which is why everything appeared so overwhelmingly red and it was harder to see Arnold's heat when the Predator took off its helmet at the end of P1. Referring back to what I wrote in response to P., the infrared mode could help boost the Predator's vision on a foreign planet with a stronger sun by upping the sensitivity to life forms (making them visible from farther away) and decreasing sensitivity to environmental surfaces, making them blue. In other words, creating a greater visual difference between elements to avoid everything registering as "hot."

guys, there is no need to persuade me of those details about P1 vision, because i've explained exactly the same in another place and can post prepared detailed images any time (from home) to support what you're saying :)

In P2 when the creature gets unmasked, they're in a freezing cold slaughterhouse so it wouldn't have been all red like the Mexican jungle. And when he fights Harrigan on the ship, the mist at Harrigan's lower body clouds away his heat and it appears blue, so it must be freezing cold on the ship too.

see what they did by trying to explain their vision mistake in P2? ****ed up the plot about predators loving the heat. and of course i must check the video, but i don't remember anybody freezing there.
though it definitely could be colder there than on the surface - exactly because it was below surface. doesn't need to be freezing cold, just below 36C of a human body.

It's also possible that the Predators may be used to cooler climates (or at least hunting on planets with weaker suns), which is why everything appeared so overwhelmingly red and it was harder to see Arnold's heat when the Predator took off its helmet at the end of P1.
that would contradict the very plot of P1 and P2 time and place choice. "it happens only in hottest years" - P1, and temperature announcement in P2 - 100 or 110 F, i don't remember exactly.
found it in subtitles:
00:00:58,767 --> 00:01:02,302
<i>The heat wave continues.
It's 109 degrees in Los Angeles.</i>
and there was no bright sun when they fought, it was night or early morning.

My point was have it end differently. Not just the bomb. A predator surviving would have made a nice change, and why not when it's a seasoned older predator? If Scar (basically an adolescent) can almost take down a fully grown queen, a problem solver like Wolf should have been able to at least escape alive.
he was old and thus deaf and blind. Scar could spot a facehugger before the jump from a distance, and Wolf could spot aliens or predalien - big, loud creatures (in that movie) only when they appeared right in front of him. still able to go against them in close combat due to predators being... well, strong and capable, but unable to hunt and seek anymore.
if they are the same species, the difference is very clear and can be explained only by aging.

Back